PDA

View Full Version : How do you convince your DH to stop trying to ram a baby name down your throat?

arivecchi
01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
We are having DS2 in late Jan./early Feb., so it is getting down to crunch time. My DH loves the name Roland and I despise it. I am pretty open minded when it comes to names, but I don't see why I should accept a name that I truly dislike. He acts like it is a done deal, which irritates me even more. He is normally a very considerate hubby but has become totally unreasonable on this issue. What would you say? I've asked him nicely to please come to a compromise instead and that I feel his attitude is disrespectful. What can I do before I explode???

srhs
01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Hm. Once I spin a name into a negative context, it's hard to forget.
Can you start singing the lyrics to "Rawhide" (you know, "Rollin, Rollin, Rollin...")? That might get his attention.

Melaine
01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Do you have a name that you like? I personally think the wife should have more votes than the husband. I mean, you are the one carrying the baby! If you DESPISE the name, that's just not cool....

Melaine
01-02-2009, 04:42 PM
It makes me think of Rollos, the candy, which are good....but

arivecchi
01-02-2009, 04:44 PM
There a lots of names that I like and I gave him my list. I would be happy to look at his list so that we can come to some sort of compromise. His attitude has definitely thrown me for a loop.

WatchingThemGrow
01-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Oh, that's easy... didn't you once DATE a Roland, think about getting engaged, etc?

Melaine
01-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Oh, that's easy... didn't you once DATE a Roland, think about getting engaged, etc?

Well played.

Octobermommy
01-02-2009, 04:59 PM

Nice, I love it!

mamaoftwins
01-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Hmmm ... maybe ask him if there is something specific about that name that he likes? Like the nickname "Ro" maybe or what the name means or maybe someone he knew that was important to him was named it? Maybe he could tell you specifically what he likes about that name and you could compromise on a new name that encompasses whatever aspect he likes about "Roland".

MamaMolly
01-02-2009, 05:18 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm channeling Liz here but every time he said Roland I'd shout VAGINA about 5 times in a row.

elizabethkott
01-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Isn't Roland "vagina" in some language?
:D

saschalicks
01-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Is there a name you like he despises? Equate it to that for him. I love the name Miles and DH hates it. I tried on several occassions w/DS2 to get him to agree, but he didn't. I dropped it.

The other thing is to use the whole: I'm carrying this baby I get final say route. He can't trumpt that. LOL!

arivecchi
01-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Hmmm ... maybe ask him if there is something specific about that name that he likes? Like the nickname "Ro" maybe or what the name means or maybe someone he knew that was important to him was named it? Maybe he could tell you specifically what he likes about that name and you could compromise on a new name that encompasses whatever aspect he likes about "Roland".

It's a character from a book he likes and for some reason he LOVES it. I guess men are insane like that sometimes. Your suggestion is a good one though. I will ask him what aspect of the name he likes so much and maybe we can find something that has a similar meaning but that I do not hate. You ladies are so smart! Thanks for all the great suggestions!

SnuggleBuggles
01-02-2009, 05:25 PM
"I'll think about it. I want to see the baby first and see what name will be a good fit for him so I think we should have a few other names on our list too." ETA- if he is anything like my dh after watching me give birth to the babies gave me a lot of cred and he wouldn't dare try and go against what I wanted then. Dh's exact words after ds1 (we had been arguing about middle names forever) were, "we can name him anything you want!".

Beth