PDA

View Full Version : Second Baby Coming - What Do We Need

scottrlynch
01-02-2009, 04:42 PM
We are expecting our second child in March and in the process of registering and deciding what we need. We expect this registry to be shorter and have some different items but wanted input from experienced parents.

Our first is a girl and will be 2 years old in March. We found out that we are having a boy.

What did you really need?

What did you get that you did not need with #2?

I was hoping to find a recommendation list for child #2.

Any input would be great.

arivecchi
01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi! Congrats! I'm going through this myself right now. Here's what we are getting for #2 (although for us it's another boy).

1. convertible crib (DS1 has a convertible cribthat we will convert to a bed)
2. second diaper pail
3. another monitor
4. double stroller & plastic cover
5. new BPA-free bottles (DS1 had the old ones)
6. bedding set for second crib
7. some new newborn clothes because DS1 got some of his (especially the side button shirts so dirty)
8. new parts for breast pump
9. Bebe au lait nursing cover (did not have a nice one for DS1)
10. buggy board to attach to our single strollers when we don't want to take the double
11. newborn diapers
12. better thermometer
13. baskets and organizers for DS2's room

That's all I can think of right now.

WatchingThemGrow
01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Good list!

What WE got. Same situation, just 6 mos earlier...
1)double stroller BJCED
2)Ergo carrier with infant insert (works with both DC)
3)another crib
4)new set of Medela parts
5)tons of diapers - for both
6) Summer Infant Dual video monitor w/larger portable screen (awesome!)
7) door lock for DS' room b/c DD wouldn't stay out
8) new furniture - dresser, nightstand, bookcase, etc
9) place for DD to playquietly in DS' room b/c she wanted to be where we were
10) new lamp and shade
11) new baby book and keepsake box
12) new bottles when they were needed
13) board for our Bugaboo
14) dozen solid Trumpette baby socks
15) new Zutano hats that stayed on better
16) eventually, another booster to take while traveling
17) another pack and play

a lot of the stuff I bought 2nd hand, so it wasn't a huge outlay of cash

Are you using the same nursery or moving DS into his own room? That will kinda dictate a lot of what you need?Maybe a new bed for DD if she's giving up the crib. We actually put stuff for DD on the registry so grandparents and those who wanted to bring her a little something would get something for her to use - like a Bjorn potty

Things we didn't need:
infant clothes - I reused what I could, bought some filler stuff 2nd hand, and returned the new clothes for larger sizes. I knew we'd have nothing in the 9-24 month sizes, so I traded up.
blankets - we use sleepsacks, so most blankets go to waste
pee pee tepee - never needed them, waste

Anything that will make your life easier (asking friends to set up a meal calendar) or anything that you wish you'd had the first time, but didn't.

SnuggleBuggles
01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Let's see...

Even thought there was a 5+ year gap and opposite seasons I didn't need much. I had kept everything so only a few things needed to be updated and there were a few things that caught my eye that hadn't been out before. I had to really stretch to find things to buy! In the end I didn't wind up getting much and did fine.

-Motherlove nipple cream- better than Lashinoh and made early bf'ing much nicer
-non BPA bottles
-safer bathing products (I bought all California Baby stuff)
-lamp
-a new convertible carseat (wait till baby outgrows the infant one for maximum useage before expiration)
-baby calendar and memory book
-diapers and wipes
-new carrier (I bought both a Hotsling and a Beco Butterfly)
-swaddle blankets (I like the SwaddleMe and I have heard good things about the Halo sack/ swaddle)
-2 new sheets
-one of those diaper/ wipe pouches (like Dipees Wipees)
-I almost bought a My Brest Friend to replace my Boppy but practicality won out and I just used my Boppy.
-new receiving blankets
- a few new clothes just because I wanted him to have things that were just for him

The best thing about 2nd borns is that by this time you may have some other mommy friends that you can borrow things from!

Beth

lizajane
01-02-2009, 05:49 PM
i have two boys, only 22 months apart, so i didn't get much. i used cloth diapers and BF'd so i didn't need new things in those catagories. that said, i did put on a wish list a CUTE diaper and after i got it and loved it, i got a few more. and i added a few bottles (this was before BPA info was really out) as DS2 was in mother's morning out two mornings at 7 months.

what i can remember:
new pacifiers
new seasonal clothing (DS2 was winter, DS1 was spring)
new bottle nipples
better breastmilk storage system
new baby monitor (old one broke)
0-3 robeez (wish list, always admired them!)
burt's bees diaper ointment (wish list, didn't need it, wanted it)
cuter clothing when i found it (this will work for you, as you have girt stuff! but i realized that i didn't have to never buy something i really wanted just becuase we had the basics covered.)
double jogging stroller
double mall stroller (hardly used)
mei tai baby carrier (LOVE!)

books for DS1 about new baby coming

jerseygirl07067
01-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Congratulations! I try to be as minimalist as possible with baby gear due to lack of space, but a lot will be determined by if you are changing nurseries.

We didn't find out what we were having, so we just put DD2 into the nursery and moved DD1 into another bedroom.

There's not a lot you'll need that you didn't have before, but the must haves are:
-a crib and new crib sheets assuming your 2 y/o is still in a crib
-double stroller
-another convertible carseat (eventually)
-another camera for the monitor
-boys infant layette
-new pacifiers
-any new pump accessories (membranes, cleaning bags, milk storage bags, disposable breast pads etc)
-a few new bottles, there are now more BPA free ones to choose from, make sure to check the nipples on the old bottles and replace them as needed
- make sure your supply of diaper rash cream, vaseline, infant tylenol, mylicon, or whatever you used, is fully stocked.
- another pair of BabyBanz sunglasses (we live in Florida)

Marcy

Samantha 12/22/03
Julia 4/19/05
baby #3 EDD 6/3/09

Tondi G
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Things that came to mind are

Double Stroller
Aden and Anais muslin blankets
a hotsling pouch or a zolowear ring sling
an ERGO or BECO or something like it carrier... some babies don't like slings
a diaper bag that will accommodate two kids in diapers
new boppy or breastfeeding pillow
new bottles/nipples/pacifiers
a nice new blanket or two... something pretty cable knit maybe and a fleece one...chances are most of your blankets are pink no?
probably a new pack of cloth diapers for burp cloths ... a lot of mine were kinda stained and funky... figured the 2nd one deserved a new package of them to funk up himself! LOL

MamaKath
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I also had a dd then ds. What did we *need*? Not much...
-new carseat for newbaby (we used a convertible with dd, so no bucket to pass down)
-new sling (they each got to their own, like a blankie)
-bigger diaper bag to hold enough for 2
-any replacement parts/pieces for pump
-a bottle or two (just in case)
-a paci or 2 (just in case)
-double stroller

Most people went lighter on gifts for #2 and they were mostly clothes. Not sure if that was just the area we lived in or typical across the country.