PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Fave Toy in Parking Lot

frzgrl2008
01-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Yikes! I dropped DD's favorite toy (Lamaze Freddie the Firefly) in the Target parking lot. I picked it up and threw it in the floorboard of the car. Now what do I do? I can wash it but it could be a painful evening if it isn't dry. Can I just spray it with some Lysol and give it to her? I'm not a germaphobe but I can't think of many places that are dirtier.

WatchingThemGrow
01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
A) Favorite Toy- buy a backup
B) can't you try drying it if it isn't dry by the time she needs it?

Can't think of a grosser place either (maybe a bathroom floor), but I'll admit that toys fall out of our car all the time and I give them back b/c of the 5 second rule. Maybe not in the first 4-5 mos, but after that...

KpbS
01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
I'd wash it (hand or machine) and toss it into the drier. Does it have crinkle parts? I've had good luck with those going through the wash and drier w/ no problems.

GL

MamaKath
01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Yuck, lol. Wash it! Throw it in the dryer.

mamaoftwins
01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Oh, Freddie the Firefly - that's Monkey's fav, too.

I'd spray mine with 70% iso alcohol in water (so that it's wet) then stick it in front of a fan to dry. It'll dry pretty quick.

If you put it in the washer/dryer as pp suggested - I have done this with other soft toys with crinkle parts, just not Freddie - I'd tie it in a pillowcase. I'm concerned about the dryer doing something to his mirrored wing though ...

Emmas Mom
01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
A) Favorite Toy- buy a backup

:yeahthat: I cannot tell you how many times having a back up has saved us!

We follow the five second rule too. ;) If you're not comfortable with that I'd wash it & throw it in the dryer on low. Even if it's a little damp when she goes down for nap/bed you might feel better at least knowing it's clean.

SnuggleBuggles
01-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Horrible mom here...I'd just brush it off and give it back in that case. Doesn't sound that bad to me. Surface wash though if it makes you feel better.

Beth

o_mom
01-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Unless it was dropped in a big puddle of goo, I vote just give it to her. I would rather have parking lot dust than lysol in a baby's mouth, personally.

Buy a second one, though, because next time you might need to wash it. Also.... never, ever, under any circumstances let her know that more than one exist or you may find that she wants ALL of them. Keep them in rotation so that one doesn't get any more broken in than the others.

amandabea
01-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Horrible mom here...I'd just brush it off and give it back in that case. Doesn't sound that bad to me. Surface wash though if it makes you feel better.

Beth
:yeahthat:
Did it fall into something - a puddle, mud,...? If not, then I'd be inclined to just give it back...

DrSally
01-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I would throw it in the washer in a lingere bag. Then maybe dry it on gentle so it will be ready. Oh, and agree, buy a backup!

ETA: I just dropped my cream colored glove into a pile of mud in our garage, so I assumed it's muddy. If not, I would just dust it off and give it back to her until you can wash it.

kdeunc
01-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Beth

Me too. I definitely live by the 5 second (or 5 minute) rule. :)

bubbaray
01-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Let it dry, wipe/shake off the dirt with your hand or a vacuum. Use a diaper wipe or wet cloth if still dirty. Other than that, I use a 10 second rule.

GL!

StantonHyde
01-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Let's put it this way--I was changing then 3.5 yo DS in the swimming pool locker room when I turned around and saw 1 yo DD trying to scrape a wad of chewing gum off the floor with her teeth!!!!!! I didn't wash her mouth out and she didn't get sick. A friend said--it could be worse--like the floor of a bathroom at La Guardia airport!! Puts it in perspective.

shawnandangel
01-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Let's put it this way--I was changing then 3.5 yo DS in the swimming pool locker room when I turned around and saw 1 yo DD trying to scrape a wad of chewing gum off the floor with her teeth!!!!!! I didn't wash her mouth out and she didn't get sick. A friend said--it could be worse--like the floor of a bathroom at La Guardia airport!! Puts it in perspective.

Oh my! That's hilarious! I like the idea with the alcohol. I'd probably just get out the blow dryer to dry it off quick.

frzgrl2008
01-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Before I had a chance to do anything, my DH gave it to her. She will probably be fine, who knows what she chews on at day care!