PDA

View Full Version : In Need of Gift Ideas for Sweet 16

alien_host
01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
I need to get a gift for our niece who is turning 16 on Sunday. Her birthday is so hard since we just got through Christmas! I always forget to shop ahead.

Anyway, what are 16 year olds into? I need to be able to get it at a B&M store and would like to avoid gift cards since we give her gift cards quite often for birthdays/christmas.

Any unique ideas? I'd like to spend around $50 or less. Thanks!

elephantmeg
01-02-2009, 10:28 PM
a charm bracelet?
a car? lol :)
something for a car if she's getting one? I'm surprised at all the coworkers kids that are....
I wasn't a very typical 16 year old so that's all I can come up with. I was in college on my 17th b-day so...

3blackcats
01-02-2009, 10:37 PM
If she has something like an iPod you could get her the car accessories that go with it. You can get the FM transmitter and the charger that charges while it's in the car. Just make sure you find out which iPod (if any) she has. I believe they take different connections.

bubbaray
01-02-2009, 10:41 PM
iPod Shuffle is around $50

bubbaray
01-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Another idea -- if you are near a Lululemon store, get her anything from there, with a gift receipt. Lulu gear is very cool. Tanks are around $50

alien_host
01-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks ladies. She did get a new Ipod for Christmas. Maybe I can find a cool case for it...she doesn't have a car so I'm not sure she'd appreciate the car accessories yet.

I like the charm bracelet idea, I need to try and shop for it Saturday. I've never heard of Lulu...man I'm out of the loop! I'll check the mall tomorrow.

If anyone has any other ideas feel free to post, thanks!

bubbaray
01-02-2009, 10:53 PM
not sure where you live, but here is the Lulu site:

http://www.lululemon.com/products/[/URL]

[URL]http://www.lululemon.com/stores/ (http://www.lululemon.com/)

They no longer sell online, but if you live where they have a B&M store, its worth a visit. Its an addiction! ;)

alien_host
01-02-2009, 10:56 PM
thanks bubbaray.

I just thought of something. Her Grandparents got her a Tiffany heart necklace and my ILs are getting her the Tiffany heart bracelet (I actually think it was MILs and she is passing it on since she doesn't wear it)...maybe if we got her a decent jewlery box? Any ideas on where I could buy one?

I might be able to go in on it with my SIL...

misshollygolightly
01-02-2009, 11:14 PM
I've found nice engrave-able jewelry boxes at Things Remembered before, though I just checked their online store and didn't see anything too thrilling. Not sure where you live, but Things Remembered has stores/kiosks in lots of malls. Anyway, I'm sure just about any place that offers personalization will stock a few options. Other ideas: a nice engraved keychain (esp. if she'll be driving/getting a car), birthstone jewelry, maybe a nice purse?

brittone2
01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
My niece just celebrated her sweet 16. I was torn between something custom (a little pendant or something fun and custom on Etsy) and an experience type of gift. I wrote a little note in her card inviting her to go to a bead store with me so we can make some jewelry together. I guess I should have known better...we're pretty close but she's a busy teen and we have yet to go...her bday was 2+ months ago. Anyway, if she lives close, some memorable experience gift could be fun.