PDA

View Full Version : S/O of 2nd Baby Thread...breast pump question

catpagmo
01-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I was reading the thread about what you need when baby #2 comes along. I saw two posters say they bought new breast pump parts. Do I need to get new parts? I hardly used my pump with DC#1. Is it gross not to get new parts? Help!

Thanks!

lizajane
01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
I was reading the thread about what you need when baby #2 comes along. I saw two posters say they bought new breast pump parts. Do I need to get new parts? I hardly used my pump with DC#1. Is it gross not to get new parts? Help!

Thanks!

i did not get new parts for my Avent Isis. only used it occasionally for DS1 and occasionally for DS2. i think working moms with daily pumping are probably the new part users. i think i got one tiny little part thingy. but it was a free thing that avent sent me when i asked for it.

SnuggleBuggles
01-02-2009, 05:52 PM
I didn't get new parts. I just rewashed what I had.

Beth

Davids-Coco
01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I think it depends. I pulled mine out and looked at them... and decided I needed new parts. Frankly, they were grimy looking and it was all the pieces that touch milk. I believe medela recommends new tubing since milk can (but usually doesn't) get into the tube. I think the tubes were less than $10.

WatchingThemGrow
01-02-2009, 11:41 PM
I replaced mine because 1)they looked kinda gross until I learned to soak them in hot soapy water overnight and clean them with a cotton swab and 2) I really wanted to have a back up set in case we got thrush again and had to sterilize every time we pumped.

JTsMom
01-03-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm not the world's most knowledgeable when it comes to pumping, but I do know that certain parts- mainly membranes IIRC, do wear out with time, and should actually be replaced every couple of months. If the parts are worn out, it makes the pump less efficient, and nobody wants that. ;)