PDA

View Full Version : Weissbluth question regarding 21 mo DD...

elektra
01-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Per the early bedtime theory in Weissbluth, do you think I should try moving DD's bedtime to even earlier than her current 7pm time? She is 21 mo. I feel like that's about as early as possible for us unless I give her dinner before her current 5:30 time, so I don't know what to do.
The last 3 months have been bad in terms of sleep because starting Nov 1, DD has been sick for about a week at a time for 3 months straight! I have been going to her during the night wakeups because I feel like that has been the right thing to do due to the illnesses. But it has really messed up her whole sleep routine, and the holidays didn't help that at all either.
She actually goes down without crying at night for everyone except me. But she is waking up an hour earlier than she used to in the morning, and wakes at least once during the night. And off and on for the last 2 weeks when she wakes up at night, it either takes an hour to settle her back to sleep or she is up for about 3 hours, talking, completely awake. I can handle the once a night awakening, but the marathon settling sessions are wearing on me. My belly is also getting bit and it's probably not so healthy for DD to be squirming and kicking all over me.
If it wasn't for the illnesses I would ignore her but right when she seems to be getting better, we do ok for 2 weeks or so and then she gets sick again where I feel like I need to comfort her in the night.
Not sure if anyone will even respond since I know the sleep board doesn't get alot of action but I am getting really disheartened over the whole thing and don't know what to do anymore.
DH did stay up with her one night, but the man just snores through her crying most of time. I don't really depend on him to help much at night besides putting DD down unfortunately.

egoldber
01-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, Amy eats dinner at 5:15/5:30 and goes to bed at 6:00/6:15. So an earlier bedtime is possible. And she sleeps a full 12 hours (alas, not continuous...) so it works for her.

ThreeofUs
01-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Try it - sounds like you can't lose. Sometimes I get very surprised by H, whose bedtime is getting earlier but who still sleeps to about 6:30 a.

ahrimie
01-02-2009, 09:53 PM
i would try the earlier bedtime too, especially since you said she's waking earlier. "early to bed, late to rise" :)