PDA

View Full Version : So sad, John Travolta's son died...

MamaKath
01-02-2009, 06:12 PM
They just had htis on the news here. His 16 year old son, Jett, died at their hotel in the Bahamas after falling during a siezure and hitting his head. They were on vacation.

Very sad, many prayers for their family!

ETA- http://omg.yahoo.com/news/john-travoltas-son-dies-in-bahamas/17114?nc

Tondi G
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I just saw this too.... So sad. My heart goes out to them.

amandabea
01-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Oh my goodness. How awful. My heart and prayers go out to the family.

DrSally
01-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Very sad, I just saw this too. They said on E! that he had suffered from Kawasaki syndrome. I know that has been mentioned here in relation to walking barefeet on just cleaned carpets. I don't know anything else about the disorder.

DietCokeLover
01-02-2009, 06:57 PM
So tragic for them. It breaks my heart when I hear of people losing a child.

saschalicks
01-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Super sad! I can say that w/all of the controversy over the years he always seemed like such an amazing father. Losing his child has to be so devastating. My heart goes out to them.

KarenLud
01-02-2009, 08:26 PM
How sad for them..heartbreaking...

happy2bamom
01-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm so sad too. Losing a child has to be every parents worst fear! I honestly don't know how I would go on without one of my babies. People do it, I know, but they are much stronger than I could ever be.

torontomom
01-03-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm so sad too. Losing a child has to be every parents worst fear! I honestly don't know how I would go on without one of my babies. People do it, I know, but they are much stronger than I could ever be.

You would go on, because you would have to. It has nothing to do with strength. But you would miss your child every minute of every day and you would constantly wonder why your child was taken from everyone who loved her.

spunkybaby
01-03-2009, 12:38 AM
You would go on, because you would have to. It has nothing to do with strength. But you would miss your child every minute of every day and you would constantly wonder why your child was taken from everyone who loved her.

Torontomom--just want to say how sorry I am that you lost your DD last year. Sending big hugs to you and your family.

bubbaray
01-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Torontomom--just want to say how sorry I am that you lost your DD last year. Sending big hugs to you and your family.

Ditto -- sending you many prayers and thoughts of peace.

I am sorry for the Travolta family's loss too.

Sillygirl
01-03-2009, 09:56 AM
The death of any child is of course a tragedy and I'm sure the family is devastated.

The mainstream news is reporting the story but not really making things very explicit, I guess so as not to seem like they're criticizing greiving parents. I'll just connect a few dots:

1) If Jett had Kawasaki disease, the description his parents provide of his illness is EXTREMELY unusual. As in, not recognizable as Kawasaki disease.
2) Kawasaki is an autoimmune disease, but most research focuses on triggers such as viruses. The link to environemental toxins is, shall we say, tenuous.
3) The Travolta-Preston family are well known Scientologists.
4) Scientology advocates "detoxification" programs for lots of illnesses that mainstream medicine would not recommend. Kelly Preston, Jett's mom, has given interviews about old Lidocaine gushing from her mouth as a result of these detox treatments. She has also said that a Scientology detox regimen was used to treat Jett.
5) There have been unconfirmed media reports for many years that Jett has a developmental delay, perhaps autism, but this has never been confirmed by the family.

Did Jett really have Kawasaki, or did that diagnosis best fit the family's Scientology worldview? Could he have received different treatment? I think these are legitimate questions to ask.

Wife_and_mommy
01-03-2009, 10:20 AM
The death of any child is of course a tragedy and I'm sure the family is devastated.

The mainstream news is reporting the story but not really making things very explicit, I guess so as not to seem like they're criticizing greiving parents. I'll just connect a few dots:

1) If Jett had Kawasaki disease, the description his parents provide of his illness is EXTREMELY unusual. As in, not recognizable as Kawasaki disease.
2) Kawasaki is an autoimmune disease, but most research focuses on triggers such as viruses. The link to environemental toxins is, shall we say, tenuous.
3) The Travolta-Preston family are well known Scientologists.
4) Scientology advocates "detoxification" programs for lots of illnesses that mainstream medicine would not recommend. Kelly Preston, Jett's mom, has given interviews about old Lidocaine gushing from her mouth as a result of these detox treatments. She has also said that a Scientology detox regimen was used to treat Jett.
5) There have been unconfirmed media reports for many years that Jett has a developmental delay, perhaps autism, but this has never been confirmed by the family.

Did Jett really have Kawasaki, or did that diagnosis best fit the family's Scientology worldview? Could he have received different treatment? I think these are legitimate questions to ask.

That's really interesting, Sillygirl. In my googling last night I saw a link that said the Travoltas won a suit of some kind against a newspaper for reporting about the possible autism. I read it only cursively but the gist was that the paper was slandering the Travoltas by saying Jett was autistic.

I don't follow J.T all that much so don't care but the points you raised are valid. J.T doesn't have the weirdness factor that Tom Cruise has re: scientology so most probably don't link the Travoltas to the same activities the Cruises have been reported of participating in.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting you brought it up after I saw that story last night.

ETA: The story I saw said Jett had a seizure and hit his head. Autism isn't linked to seizures as far as I know. Could the seizure have been a reaction to care he's received? Interesting questions indeed. I'm interested now to see what the autopsy reports say when they come out.

Blakes Mommy
01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Some children with autism have seizures. I think it' about a third.

schums
01-03-2009, 12:57 PM
My condolences to the Travolta family. I can't imagine losing a child.

Our newspaper here had a blurb on this today. It said that Jett had a history of seizures. It also said that he had last been seen going into a bathroom on Thursday and wasn't found until late Friday morning by a house caretaker. I know he's a teen and all, but shouldn't someone have noticed he **DIDN'T** come out of the bathroom? Or noticed that he didn't get come to breakfast/hear the shower running/see that this bed hadn't been slept in? This is the part I think is most traumatic. This child died in his own home and no one noticed for 12 hours?

pinkmomagain
01-03-2009, 01:14 PM
First I am very sorry for their tragic loss.

I will say that these seem like very unusual circumstances. I know there has been alot of conjecture in the past about Jett's true "condition(s)". I find it interesting when I see the clips they've been showing on tv of them in Paris I *think* sometime last year....it seems that either John or his wife is always holding Jett's hand, which seems to me a little odd to be doing with a developmentally typical 16 yo. But maybe navigating crowds/press, not so much? I don't know. It will be interesting to see what details emerge over the next few days.

daniele_ut
01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
It's just unimaginably sad and I feel awful for them. No one can imagine the pain that comes with losing a child until it happens to them. I hope that they will be able to grieve their loss in peace.

Gena
01-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm very sorry for the loss of their child.

I have read many things over the years indicating that Jett may have had autism. Because of Scientology's views on mental health issues, autism is not considered a disease/disorder. Instead, a person with autism is considered a "lower being". As a result, if Jett did have autism (and I personally have no idea whether or not he did), his parents were either in denial or kept it a secret to protect him from their religion.

In any case, Jett's death is a tragic loss and I truly hope the family finds peace and comfort in their beliefs.

MamaKath
01-04-2009, 12:00 AM

(((Torontomom))) I am so sorry, also sending p&pt to you and your family.

torontomom
01-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Thank you.

spunkybaby and bubbaray - your DC were born within a couple of months of both of mine. Mine were 2 years, 7 months apart in age.

I probably shouldn't have posted. I probably shouldn't even be reading this board anymore but I need something to do to pass the time and when I can't sleep.

o_mom
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Thank you.

spunkybaby and bubbaray - your DC were born within a couple of months of both of mine. Mine were 2 years, 7 months apart in age.

I probably shouldn't have posted. I probably shouldn't even be reading this board anymore but I need something to do to pass the time and when I can't sleep.

:hug: I'm so sorry for your loss and you are welcome here anytime.

missym
01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Torontomom, thank you for posting. I hope you'll post again when you are ready. We're here if you need us. :hug:

elektra
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Torontomom, thank you for posting. I hope you'll post again when you are ready. We're here if you need us. :hug:

:yeahthat:
:)
I was glad to see your post and I hope you are doing ok.

egoldber
01-05-2009, 05:54 PM

I know what you mean. I'm so very sorry for your loss. :hug:

JTsMom
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
:hug: I'm so very sorry for your loss torontomom.

spunkybaby
01-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Thank you.

Sending more hugs and prayers for comfort your way, torontomom. Please know that we are all happy to see you post whenever you feel like doing so.

MamaKath
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Thank you.

I am glad you posted, we are here if you need us!