PDA

View Full Version : Severe allergic reaction: amoxicillin or food?

Nooknookmom
01-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Well, I spent New Years Day evening in the ER. I was going into anaphylactic shock and don't know if it was from the different brand of cornbread I ate or the Amoxicillin.

I have never had a reaction to any *cillin* form of antibiotics, and have taken them since I was a child. I was very sick a lot too.

I have had itchy mouth from eating cake batter and grits (both flour & corn were in my cornbread). The reaction started in my lips immediately after I ate the bread. I had been on Amox for 2.5 days w/ no reaction.

Back when I was 15 I had a similiar exp and we never found out what I was allergic to.

Any thoughts? I'm afraid to eat certain foods now & I can't take my antibiotics either (have a tooth that needs a root canal which is why I was taking meds.)

Thanks!

MamaKath
01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Wow! Very scary!!! Could it have been some kind of reaction to a combination? I am working on getting ds into an allergist for weird rashes from foods recently (he also has oral allergy syndrome reactions often), don't even know what tests you would ask for to find out. You'll have my p&pt in the meantime.

bubbaray
01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I would guess the food. The only way to know for sure is to get to an allergist ASAP. I would assume you are allergic to both things until proven otherwise.

Hugs

ETA: Did they give you a shot of prednisone and a 3-day script for more prednisone? You need to take it for 3 days to prevent a biphasic anaphylaxis.

DrSally
01-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Sounds like it was something in the cornbread? Allergies can start out mild and then become "full blown". I would definitely see an allergist and get some testing. Sorry about the ER visit, must have been scary!

ritacheetah
01-02-2009, 07:11 PM
How old are the flour and corn meal? I seem to recall reading somewhere that people can be allergic to a certain mold that grows in old flour type things. Just a thought.

DrSally
01-02-2009, 07:19 PM
How old are the flour and corn meal? I seem to recall reading somewhere that people can be allergic to a certain mold that grows in old flour type things. Just a thought.

Yes, I've read that you shouldn't eat expired bisquick type mixes b/c of this as well. Sounds like you've had corn and flour many times in the past. Are you eating things with corn and flour now since the reaction? What else was in the mix?

hollybloom24
01-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I would see an allergist ASAP. They can do allergy testing and make sure you have Epi-pens and a prescription with refills. You should also make sure you have Benadryl in your home and handbag. I keep Epi-pens at home, in my handbag, and in my car.

I have severe allergies to hazelnuts. I ate them on a Friday and was fine. The next night I put them in a salad and my face swelled up. I was then seen by an allergist and had a "food challenge." They put ground hazelnuts on the inside of my bottom lip - they start with tiny amounts and gradually increase the amounts to see when the reaction begins - mine started with the first dose and I was given Benadryl and they made me stay at the office for four hours to make sure my reaction didn't get any worse.

Allergic reactions can develop quite suddenly. Write down everything you ate that day so you don't forget, and any drugs you were (or are) taking and bring the list to an allergist.

Good luck! I hope it was just some random event.

shawnandangel
01-02-2009, 09:19 PM
It sounds like the food to me. Usually a severe allergic reaction to Amoxicillin is your face becoming red/swollen. I am allergic to Augmentin which is very similar to Amoxicillin. If I take it my whole face gets very red. Apparently the doctors say this is a "severe" reaction with this medicine.

I was thinking the same thing about the mold in the cornbread. I've also read as pp have about Bisquick mix. Is there anyway to check the box or date on the box?

I would see an allergist asap

If the allergist finds you are not allergic to either amoxicillin or the ingredients in the cornbread mix I would call the company and let them know what happened. They may have a bad batch of cornbread. If it is mold, your phone call could save lives.

bubbaray
01-02-2009, 09:23 PM
It could very well be that you are allergic to mold and there is mold in the cornbread mix AND amoxicillan is from penicillin mold -- the combination might have been too much for your system.

You still need to see an allergist.

FWIW, we've been told to never give benadryl for anaphylaxis, you can suffocate doing that if your airway is already constricting. Administer the EpiPen and call 911.

AngelaS
01-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I was 25 when I had my first reaction to amoxicillan and broke out in full body hives. I'd been on the meds for about 4 days and woke up one morning covered in itchy spots. I haven't had testing to make sure that's what it was, but since it was the only thing that was different in my life I'm pretty sure that's what caused it.

Nooknookmom
01-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I would guess the food. The only way to know for sure is to get to an allergist ASAP. I would assume you are allergic to both things until proven otherwise.

Hugs

ETA: Did they give you a shot of prednisone and a 3-day script for more prednisone? You need to take it for 3 days to prevent a biphasic anaphylaxis.

Wow, you guessed it, I'm off to the pharmacy right now to get it. I am still kinda itchy/feeling weird.

bubbaray
01-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Trina, this is VERY important.

Did they give you two shots at the ER? One of Epi and one of prednisone??

If not, you NEED TO GO BACK TO THE ER IF YOU ARE ITCHING.

Please. Call 911. It sounds like a biphasic reaction.

Yikes. Please call 911

Nooknookmom
01-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I did get IV Pred & Benadryl last night. Maybe I just FEEL weird kwim?

bubbaray
01-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Have you felt weird all along or is this starting up?

I'd at least have someone drive you to the ER. Don't drive yourself. Do not be alone. someone needs to be with you, with an EpiPen and a cell phone.

lablover
01-02-2009, 10:03 PM
It could very well be that you are allergic to mold and there is mold in the cornbread mix AND amoxicillan is from penicillin mold -- the combination might have been too much for your system.

This is what I was thinking...

mecawa
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I have had an anaphylaxis reaction to both sulfur drugs and amoxicillin. They made me take prednisone for a few days(if i remember correctly) afterwards. Are you taking prednisone now? If so check the side effects, for some reason I want to say that what you are experiencing could be a side effect of the prednisone, i think I remember something like that the last time I had a reaction. I know the weird feeling you are talking about, I got that too, I'm not sure what it is( I kept feeling like I was going to pass out/got really dizzy too), just be really careful, take it easy, if you feel any concern at all call you doc. or have someone take you to the ER.

When I read your original post I immediately thought it was the amoxicillin, but it could be because of my history, that that is what came to mind. I had my first reaction to it at 20, and had had amoxicillin all the time when I was a kid, at least once a year (very prone to strep). I then had an even worse reaction to Bactrium (sp?) at 23, that however was the first time I ever took a drug in that family, now I've been told not to even drink wine because of the sulfites!!! Be careful, anaphylaxis is not something you want to fool around with. Good luck and keep us updated.

Nooknookmom
01-03-2009, 01:09 AM
I am not feeling itchy/weird anymore and I picked up the Prednisone and took my first dose.

My issue now is, one side effect of the Pred is a compromised immune system. I was on the antibiotics b/c of a sinus/tooth infection (my dentist is out until Monday & is not returning calls grrr!). I am worried that the infection will come back.

Geesh, this can't just be easy can it? Thank you all for helping me, I was SO freaked out last night!