PDA

View Full Version : lunch spot in Baltimore recs needed

LBW
01-02-2009, 08:05 PM
So, DH and I are driving down to Baltimore tomorrow morning without the boys. We'll be in the northern part of the city, near Johns Hopkins, and would like to get lunch before we turn around and head home in the early afternoon. Any recommendations? I don't think we'll have time to drive into the city, so it would have to be someplace fairly close to JHU.

Thanks!

citymama
01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
We always loved this Afgan/Middle Eastern place called The Helmand, which is downtown. It isn't far from JHU, on N. Charles St. I've eaten at lots of other places in Baltimore, but never been blown away by anything else. This was unique, as we didn't have something similar where I lived.

ETA It's really close to the exit/entrance for 95, so not hard to get back on the highway to get home.

geophne
01-02-2009, 08:43 PM
When we lived there, we used to enjoy going to Gertrudes at the Baltimore Museum of Art for brunch on the weekends. It is adjacent to the JHU campus so it would be very convenient. Part of the appeal was eating outside on the patio and enjoying the fountains and sculpture garden, which I imagine is closed at this time of year, but I think the food is good and you could always wander through part of the museum if you wanted to (it was free last time we were there, but I'm not sure if it still is or not).

LBW
01-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Oh, the BMA is a great idea. I had forgotten about it. Now, can I convince DH???

I had found The Helmand in an eGullet search, and it looks great. I also found two others that are closer to JHU: Dogwood Gourmet and Carlyle Club Lebanese. With those three and Gertrudes I think I have some great options. Thanks!

cleo27
01-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Hmm, some of our favorites in Baltimore city are:

-Samos in Greektown - amazing Greek food & cheap! (try the shrimp and feta pie, so yummy!!)

-Matthews Pizza in Highlandtown (amazing pizza & also cheap)

-Sabatinos in Little Italy (our first proper date was here. very yummy Italian food.)

I'm not sure any of these are really close to Hopkins, but DH and I like them all and have been known to make special trips to the city for any of them! :)

Have fun!!