PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about Maine...

SASM
01-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Never been but have been very intrigued over the years... I am trying to think of a good vacation for our family this year. DH loves the outdoors, whereas I love the ocean & quaint villages...I picture Maine as a happy mix. So...

-Any favorite places (towns, villages, shopping (I def know about Kittery/Hanna & LL Bean), lakes, regions, parks) to visit?
-Best/worst times of the year to go?
-Favorite activities?
-Favorite places to stay?
-Do you know of any kid-friendly B&Bs???

We WILL have a 6yo, 4yo, and 1.5yo (& possibly a MIL) ~ so family-friendly suggestions would be great! :)

Thank you soooo much, in advance!

Ohhhhh...side note: Do the Trader Joe's in MA, CT or NJ sell wine? Namely Charles Shaw??? :) I sooo miss the $2 Chuck!!!

fortato
01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I can highly recommend looking into Freeport. It's a great outlet shopping area, and there's a lot of nice beaches, and things to do within half an hour of town.

There's a nice, family friendly hotel called Sebasco Harbor Resort (www.sebasco.com). DH and I have been going there for the last 9 years for Labor Day weekend, and we love it. There are a lot of on site things to do- boat rides, tennis, golf, swimming and a truly amazing spa that JUST opened this year.

I'm sure other people can weigh in on places to go... but, I always loved the Freeport, Bath, Brunswick area.

jgenie
01-02-2009, 11:46 PM
There's a nice, family friendly hotel called Sebasco Harbor Resort (www.sebasco.com).

What a great looking place - do you have a favorite building - it looks like there are several. We would have DS who will be 1 soon.

fortato
01-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Last year we stayed in the Harbor Village Suites- they were new, and really nice... they offered a small kitchenette and had AC, but since we didn't really need the kitchenette, it was a waste of our money.

BUT- if you are staying with a child, and need a little fridge to keep milk or whatever cold, I recommend it.

We will be staying in the Main Lodge- (ML22 to be exact- it's OUR room). The bathrooms need updating, but the view and everything about the place makes it worth it.

The Lighthouse has gorgeous views, but I don't know when the rooms were updated last... it might be happening right now... you'll have to keep an eye on the website.

I find that the best time to be in the area is late August/early September... there's still a chance of it being warm, but doesn't get nasty hot and humid. And the price of shellfish goes down...

SASM
01-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Last year we stayed in the Harbor Village Suites- they were new, and really nice... they offered a small kitchenette and had AC, but since we didn't really need the kitchenette, it was a waste of our money.

BUT- if you are staying with a child, and need a little fridge to keep milk or whatever cold, I recommend it.

We will be staying in the Main Lodge- (ML22 to be exact- it's OUR room). The bathrooms need updating, but the view and everything about the place makes it worth it.

The Lighthouse has gorgeous views, but I don't know when the rooms were updated last... it might be happening right now... you'll have to keep an eye on the website.

I find that the best time to be in the area is late August/early September... there's still a chance of it being warm, but doesn't get nasty hot and humid. And the price of shellfish goes down...

Wow! Thank you so much for the info! I am going to check it out right now!

ETA: Bummer...it looks like the week that I am looking at is booked. I'll try calling.

vludmilla
01-03-2009, 12:12 AM
I love the Down East area, which includes Bar Harbor. I think it is truly beautiful and a tad less fancy than some of the more southern coast towns. I've rented houses on the water in various towns in the Down East area and I highly recommend it for a family. Surry was one of the small towns. This is one of the places we stayed. The water at high tide comes right up to the patio. You have water views from most windows in the house. Radiant floor heating. http://www.cyberrentals.com/rental/p102875
We visited Acadia National Park while there and many of the beautiful small towns in the area. Lots of great food and friendly people. I think there can be a little pretention in some of the southern coast areas and I that is not the case in the Down East area. LL Bean outlet is nearby too.
HTH

jgenie
01-03-2009, 12:20 AM
I love the Down East area, which includes Bar Harbor.
HTH

My BF & I took a road trip to Bar Harbor about 4 years ago - I LOVED it so much I keep telling DH if we were ever in the position to buy a vacation house it would have to be near Bar Harbor.

How do you research places to stay - especially if you want to rent a house instead of staying at a hotel or B&B?

SASM
01-03-2009, 12:40 AM
I love the Down East area, which includes Bar Harbor. I think it is truly beautiful and a tad less fancy than some of the more southern coast towns. I've rented houses on the water in various towns in the Down East area and I highly recommend it for a family. Surry was one of the small towns. This is one of the places we stayed. The water at high tide comes right up to the patio. You have water views from most windows in the house. Radiant floor heating. http://www.cyberrentals.com/rental/p102875
We visited Acadia National Park while there and many of the beautiful small towns in the area. Lots of great food and friendly people. I think there can be a little pretention in some of the southern coast areas and I that is not the case in the Down East area. LL Bean outlet is nearby too.
HTH
Thank you so much!! I've heard wonderful things about that area from past coworkers, although one mom friend said that area can be pretentious...thank you for suggesting some family-friendly areas. Looking into it now! :)

bubbaray
01-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I haven't been there with children, but you really must go to Freeport. Even if it means leaving your DH with the kiddos one day and you having some "me" time. If nothing else, go to the LL Bean store in Freeport. Its a kick!

vludmilla
01-03-2009, 12:52 AM
My BF & I took a road trip to Bar Harbor about 4 years ago - I LOVED it so much I keep telling DH if we were ever in the position to buy a vacation house it would have to be near Bar Harbor.

How do you research places to stay - especially if you want to rent a house instead of staying at a hotel or B&B?

I look at rentals on vrbo.com and cyberrentals.com
I haven't had any problems renting this way. I only rent the houses with a good amount of detail and pictures. I can't imagine staying in a one or two room hotel suite any more.

vludmilla
01-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Thank you so much!! I've heard wonderful things about that area from past coworkers, although one mom friend said that area can be pretentious...thank you for suggesting some family-friendly areas. Looking into it now! :)

So not pretentious, if you ask me. Check out Blue Hill and the surrounding towns for day trips if you go. So down-to-earth and just gorgeous and not packed full of tourists. Bar Harbor is touristy and maybe a bit pretentious but no more so than the southern coast. Inland areas of main are surely even more down to earth but I don't know much about them.

blisstwins
01-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Kennebunkport and some of those towns are a little snobby, so can Northeast Harbor, but even in places like that snobby is not exactly right. Maine is one of my most favorite places in the world. I would definitely try to get to the Acadia area and spend some time there. Visit Jordan Pond while there, go whale watching...I think it is nice to take a little time while driving to the Bar Harbor area. Stop in some of the Southern Maine towns, Ogunquit (Stonewall Kitchens is there) and Kennebunkport--even for an ice cream. Blue Hill is lovely, very artsy and quaint. There is also an outdoor music festival there worth looking into. I would probably not stay there with kids, though. There is more to do around Acadia/Bar Harbor and the drive to and from Blue Hill is doable, but annoying on a daily basis. You will have such a wonderful time. It is a great family vacation.

SASM
01-03-2009, 01:44 AM
So not pretentious, if you ask me. Check out Blue Hill and the surrounding towns for day trips if you go. So down-to-earth and just gorgeous and not packed full of tourists. Bar Harbor is touristy and maybe a bit pretentious but no more so than the southern coast. Inland areas of main are surely even more down to earth but I don't know much about them.
Thank you! :)

SASM
01-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Kennebunkport and some of those towns are a little snobby, so can Northeast Harbor, but even in places like that snobby is not exactly right. Maine is one of my most favorite places in the world. I would definitely try to get to the Acadia area and spend some time there. Visit Jordan Pond while there, go whale watching...I think it is nice to take a little time while driving to the Bar Harbor area. Stop in some of the Southern Maine towns, Ogunquit (Stonewall Kitchens is there) and Kennebunkport--even for an ice cream. Blue Hill is lovely, very artsy and quaint. There is also an outdoor music festival there worth looking into. I would probably not stay there with kids, though. There is more to do around Acadia/Bar Harbor and the drive to and from Blue Hill is doable, but annoying on a daily basis. You will have such a wonderful time. It is a great family vacation.
Thank you!! Do you have any reccs on places to stay?

SASM
01-03-2009, 01:47 AM
ahhhh...duplicate post...

Blakes Mommy
01-03-2009, 02:02 AM
The Belgrade Lakes region is beautiful....between Augusta and Waterville.

www.belgradelakesmaine.com/Default.asp?Key=1

The insperation for the movie "On Golden Pond" was based on those lakes, although I think parts were filmed on Lake Winnepesaukee in New Hampshire. Very relaxed, down to earth, and less touristy. They have private cottages/ houses to rent in that region. You can even take day trips from there to Boothbay harbor.....cute New England seaside fishing village

www.boothbayharbor.com

Right by there you can visit the lighthouse at Pemaquid Point.

www.pemaquidpoint.org

Both Boothbay and Pemaquid have good lobster...Try Shaws Lobster Wharf in pemaquid...rustic restaurant where you can see the lobsterman come up with there boats and drop off the lobster traps.

www.bellaonline.com/articles/art16617.asp

Look into the Camden area as well....a little farther up the coast and very picturesqe

www.camdenme.org

Of course Freeport and Kittery have the outlets as earlier posters mentioned so if you want to shop you will find it there. Good Luck and have a great trip!!

SASM
01-03-2009, 10:20 AM
The Belgrade Lakes region is beautiful....between Augusta and Waterville.
Thank you so much for the info! I am going to look into it later today.

Welcome to the BBB boards!! :)

hollybloom24
01-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Only three Trader Joe's in Massachusetts sell beer and wine - the one in Cambridge on Memorial Drive, Beacon Street in Coolidge Corner Brookline, and the one on Route 9 West in Framingham (which is not far off the Mass Pike - there is an exit off the Pike for Rt. 9). I am not sure about the other states...

Maine is great! One of my favorite lobster stops in Maine is Chauncy Creek - you eat at picnic tables and bring everything but the lobster (a good use of your TJ's wine). The lobster is typically really well priced! www.chaunceycreek.com

We like the beach in Oguquit and the town. It can get quite crowded and trafficky in the town though.

A stop in Portsmouth, NH is a fun thing to do! It is a really cute little town. The Portsmouth Brewery has great beer and pub food, and the Gaslight has great pizza.

caleymama
01-03-2009, 11:15 AM
We have some friends that go to York Beach every summer. I know they love it. They have 6yo twins and as far as I know the kids always have a great time.

Blakes Mommy
01-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Your welcome!!!

kcimato
01-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Maine also intrigued me for many years and 2 summers ago we made our first trip.

Like Vludmilla we also use cyberrentals and VRBO and I believe homeaway is included in that also. www.homeaway.com

I'd rather stay in a home or cabin type rather than a hotel also.

The first trip we rented a place in Falmoth Foreside which is about 10 min north of Portland. The rental was a home with a finished walk out basement at street level. We were right on a boat marina and loved it. Sunrises were amazing. I would set the alarm to get up and see the sunrises. Lots of activity at the marina everyday. We used this spot as our base and toured a different area every day.

The next year we went up to Mount Desert Island. We stayed in Southwest Harbor which is the "quiet side" Loved it. Again we were on the water and there is a cute little town right there. It was a short trip to Acadia National Park. We had our then 15 month old grandson with us and it was a great place for kids. Lots of hiking trails and Jordan's Pond has an incredible view. As far as kids go I think that this is the right place. We went in Aug both times and the weather was fantastic. It was not crowded at all.

We stopped for 2 nights in Camden on the way back. That is a beautiful little town but somewhat touristy.

Good luck in your decision and I know you will love it.