PDA

View Full Version : Dyson troubleshooting

LD92599
01-02-2009, 11:12 PM
ETA Saturday AM: Turns out the elbow just below the corp wrap was totally clogged. A lincoln Log. a ball point pen. and alot of tree needles. Less than 2 minutes on w/ Tech support and it's perfect now. Darn, was really thinking about a cute new miele...might still consider if i can get then to take the Dyson on trade.

The Christmas tree is on the front lawn and all the needles are throughout the house.

Why does the Dyson fail NOW?

It'll start fine and then within 5 seconds there's no suction (via either the hose or the floor but i'm trying to use the hose). Makes a loud noise and then bam, no suction.

Figures it happened about 15 minutes after customer service closed for the night!

Thanks/Laura

PS: Along these same lines, has anyone needed a Dyson repair and if so, how does that work with them?

3blackcats
01-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Have you tried the support section at the Dyson website? You select your type and then your problem. Might help until support opens.

I wish you luck! I love my Dyson...

BabyMine
01-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Christmas needles are the worst. Even for the best vacuums. We had to use a wet/dry vac. The needles clogg just about everything.

SASM
01-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Ohhh...how I feel for you. The exact same thing happened to me right after I bought mine (curse those commercials...IT DOES LOSE SUCTION!!!) and the support line closed minutes before my call. They open fairly early on the weekends, though. If I remember correctly, I took of the hose to make sure there were no obstructions. I also took off a few other pieces and checked for blockages as well. Once it was determined that it was free of blockages, I had to wait for 1 HOUR before using. This supposedly reboots (???) the vacuum.

Good luck!

Ohhh...I came across this article on easily removing Christmas tree needles.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/492059/how_to_make_christmas_tree_cleanup.html?singlepage =true&cat=74
Love the idea about sweeping them up instead of vacumming AND getting older kids to pick them up and rewarding whoever picks up the most and whoever picks up the fastest. :)

Your post made me smile! :) It brought me back to DH & my first Christmas together with our first tree. We bought it from a Boy Scout sale across the street and dragged it across the street, down the sidewalk, through the main entrance of our apt bldg, to the elevator, and to our apt door. We were so exhausted when we finally got it set up that we went to bed. The next AM our bldg manager knocked on our door, every so cheerfully, to let us know that our pine needle trail managed to break his industrial strength vacuum!!! OMG!!! :) It didn't take us long to remember to shake the &^*&% tree next year BEFORE bringing it into the house. We thought that all of the dragging would have gotten all of that mess out beforehand...guess not!

LD92599
01-02-2009, 11:52 PM
It started before i had a chance to even get the needles!

Online didn't really help so i'll call the help line in the morning. I checked the hoses and there's no blockages. We can "see" into the top of the canister thing/filter and see exactly the piece that's closing up where it should be opened.

However i think DH already wants a Miele and we're stopping at the local vacuum store tomorrow. I'm sure i could sell the Dyson in Craigslist for what i paid for it....since i scored it on target clearance for a steal!

Do vacuum stores tend to do trade ins? Hmmmmm......

Laura

shoremom
01-03-2009, 12:00 AM
SAME FOR US!! Just after we got the tree up and were ready to clean up with our new Dyson it clogged up. Anyhow...called Dyson.

1. The very bottom head, if you use a pen or screwdriver and insert it into where the base meets the last suction part and pop a small piece off and you can get to that section.
2. The yellow ball opens and you can check in there.
3. The hose on the side heading towards the canister comes off.
4. I believe (with out checking?) there is one more part to disconnect and can be emptied to check for clogs.
5. They told us that you should be able to drop a quarter down the different sections and it should fall right out if it is obviously cleared. It worked for us twice.
Also they suggested using a untwisted coat hanger to clear out the clogs in the sections as well make sure the "2" filters are properly cleaned.

We are crossing our fingers that this all stops once the tree is gone!! :shake:

lisams
01-03-2009, 12:00 AM
We have the purple animal one, and it started losing suction. I guess that some seal at the bottom was defective and little pieces were able to go up and clog the pistons. We called Dyson and they had us try and use pressurized air to get it out which didn't work, so they sent a whole new piece (the big part). The seal on the bottom of the new one is different, so we kind of wonder if it was a bad design or something because the person on the help line seemed to be very familar with the problem.

Good luck!