PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean a bag full of dusty stuffed animals

mdb78
01-03-2009, 01:20 AM
For 3 years, we had a large bag full of stuffed animals and toys in our closet collecting dust. Well, yesterday I cleaned out the closet and decided I could give dd some of the stuffed toys to play with. I tried cleaning a few, but the dust irritated my throat. I first beat them and then took a wet cloth and wiped then down before I couldn't take it anymore. I guess I should've worn a mask.. Any other suggestions on a better way to clean these stuffed toys? TIA!

s7714
01-03-2009, 01:39 AM
I stick them in the dryer on the air fluff cycle (no heat) for 20 minutes or so. They say if you're worried about their eyes getting scratched you can stick them in pillowcases, but I've never noticed any major scratches after a tumble in the dryer so I just toss them straight in.

inmypjs
01-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I read this somewhere but I can't remember where. To kill dustmites you need to get the temp really hot or really cold. If you wash them in the machine on hot water, they can lose their shape and not turn out so well. So put them in a bag in the freezer for a day or two. This will kill any dust mites. Then put them in a pillow case and wash them in the machine on the gentle cycle in cold. Air dry. Again, I can't remember the source. I hope it's accurate because this is what I've been doing!

misshollygolightly
01-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Sounds like a good excuse to throw 'em out. Stuffed animals accumulate quickly...

lizajane
01-03-2009, 12:35 PM
i washed stuffed animals in the washing machine. and depending on the type of "fur" i either dry them in the dryer or lay them on top of the hot dryer while it runs to air dry.

unless it is super special and you would be devastated if it was ruined, just toss them in the washer.

tarabenet
01-03-2009, 02:31 PM
The stuffing used in today's toys is much improved. Most of it tends to get fuller and fluffier when washed and dried, instead of getting packed and lumpy. Just makes sure to turn of the heat in the dryer, to avoid melting any fur/trim details. Obviously any toys that have sound-making or light-up parts shoudn't be washed, or if they simply must be wahed, they should never have batteries reinstalled.

Snow mom
01-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I put them in the dryer on air with a clean racket ball to keep them fluffy. It's a bit loud, but our dryer is in a shed.

~Lisa

mdb78
01-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks all! I'll try some of these suggestions! :)