PDA

View Full Version : Is the gliding ottoman worth it?

GingerMa09
01-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Hello .. I'm looking at getting a glider for the nursery, but am wondering if it is worth the extra money to get the matching ottoman. Anyone out there think it was a waste of money or is it a great idea? Will I want one that glides or will a cheap stationary cube-style ottoman Target get us through?

TIA!!!

nupe
01-03-2009, 01:33 PM
DS2 is 14 mo old and I still use glider/gliding ottoman. It was really great when he was sick recently and I was glued to him for days on end!

hez
01-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I have a gliding ottoman that also has the feature to slide out a foot rest (which makes the ottoman stationary). I've used the glider all three ways-- with the ottoman gliding, with the foot rest, and without the ottoman (when I put it in another room). All three ways were fine for nursing and/or rocking. I prefer the foot rest when I'm nursing or pumping and the gliding ottoman when I'm comforting/rocking DD to sleep. I prefer the ottoman to be in another room when DS is being a PITA and playing on it. :)

You can get away without the glide feature on the ottoman, but I'm personally glad we have it.

PS I catch DH napping in it alone (with the ottoman in glide position) quite often!

mommylamb
01-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I got my glider used at a baby-oriented thrift store for $40. Best $40 I spent. I wish I had the foot stool though because it would be nice to fall asleep there sometimes. But, it's also fine without it.

Melaine
01-03-2009, 02:16 PM
I would get it, yes. I loved it when we had one with the ottoman.

WatchingThemGrow
01-03-2009, 02:20 PM
I toooooootally relax in the glider when the ottoman is able to glide. a must here. I like that it CAN serve as an extra seat for another adult in the nursery.

ThreeofUs
01-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Gliding ottoman is wonderful, especially in those first months of nursing! Oh, my gosh. I can't believe I ever thought they were optional.

bubbaray
01-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
01-03-2009, 05:56 PM
I sure am glad we bought it!

Beth

Snow mom
01-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I ended up getting a glider that was more $$$ than I intended to spend so passed on the ottoman to see what I thought without it. I got the Medela nursing stool and that has worked well so far. The glider is high enough that I need something to rest my feet on, but I'm comfortable with my feet on the stool, even when fully reclined. I'd say the glider being nice and comfy is priority #1. Make sure the back is high enough that you can lean your head back on it!

~Lisa

BeachBum
01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
For us it was/is a must have.

jgenie
01-03-2009, 07:25 PM
I hadn't planned on buying the matching ottoman, but DH said to splurge and get it so we did. I'm so glad we did!! I can put my feet up, put my laptop on my knees so I can surf and rock DS - this is especially nice on nights he won't sleep!!

GingerMa09
01-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all the responses!! I guess the gliding ottoman is the way to go. We are "feet on the coffee table" people when sitting on the couch so I think I will want it when sitting up in the nursery. I better start shopping for a good deal!