PDA

View Full Version : Swing rehab

pb&j
01-03-2009, 04:50 PM
After 10 looooong days (which perfectly coincided w/DS's break from school, egads), DD (6 weeks old) is finally over her cold. Except now she's addicted to her swing and will only sleep there, her carseat in a moving car, in the Beco while I'm walking around, or in someone's arms. She had been sleeping fine in her Moses basket prior to this. Any BTDT suggestions to get her back into a real bed? I've done swaddling, sleep positioner, white noise, extra blankets, no blankets, rolled up blanket under her legs, inclined the bed, and a few other tricks.

Sillygirl
01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Can you move her once she's sleeping into the crib? If she's really really sound?

pb&j
01-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Can you move her once she's sleeping into the crib? If she's really really sound?

Nope. She'll transfer fine, and then about five minutes later start screaming as if her perfectly fine mattress were a bed of nails.

daniele_ut
01-03-2009, 07:23 PM
At that age, dd would only sleep on me or in the swing as well. We just had to wait it out and keep changing the batteries! How is it possible that your little one is 6 weeks old already?

pb&j
01-03-2009, 07:59 PM
At that age, dd would only sleep on me or in the swing as well. We just had to wait it out and keep changing the batteries! How is it possible that your little one is 6 weeks old already?

That's what I was afraid of. DH is always wondering if there is some "secret" to newborns that we'll find out about later. For instance, all we need to do was just put a wet paper towel under her neck, and *everyone* knows it but us.:ROTFLMAO:

scrooks
01-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Same here...we even broke down and bought a second swing - one for upstairs and one for downstairs! She outgrew it by 8 weeks or so but
I think she continued to nap in her swing until 4 or 5 months maybe.

carolinamama
01-03-2009, 10:41 PM
I could have written your post, but ds2 is just 3 months. I have tried to get him back into his bed, but he wakes up after 30 minutes. Don't have any suggestions, but I am starting to believe that we will just wait it out. He will actually sleep decently with it off at night and just in it. I learned my lesson after trying to sleep train (no cio, using no cry solutions) ds1 as a young infant - it didn't work and it can be best to roll with it. Now I'm more "whatever works" and the swing is working for now. Maybe this is an option for you as well?

Corie
01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
DH is always wondering if there is some "secret" to newborns that we'll find out about later.

The secret is...the swing. :)

I read it in a fortune cookie. Saved my life! :)

MarisaSF
01-03-2009, 10:58 PM
How is she six weeks old already?!?!:love-retry:

Many hugs, but no helpful advice. DS only slept in a sling or on somebody for several months. He never slept in a crib until 10.5 months. I would have LOVED if he'd sleep in a swing or bouncer. Anyway... not for everyone, but we are all surviving okay. At least he slept.

How'd it go today? What a about rocking the Moses basket?

american_mama
01-04-2009, 01:29 AM
We had good success getting DS to sleep in a bouncy seat which we bounced (rather vigorously) until he fell asleep. Then I just carried him in the bouncy seat into the bedroom (he was sleeping in ours at the time). Your DD wouldn't be moved out of her warm, cozy state and place so maybe she wouldn't wake up.

I realize that's not the gold standard you probalby desire of getting her to sleep in her Moses basket, but it might be a way to wean her from the continual swing motion and sound and get her in whatever room you want her to be in.

pb&j
01-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks, all! We had a little progress yesterday, and she slept for a couple of hours in the PNP, tightly swaddled. I think she is still a little congested from her cold, and that is part of the problem. When she's flat she's gets very snorty and coughs a lot. I'm just going to roll with it and let her sleep in the swing a little longer... Luckily, we never got into the habit of actually turning the swing on - we just put her in it for the recline since she was congested and being flat was impossible for her.

And no, I can't believe she's six weeks old already. How on earth did that happen? :)

mamaoftwins
01-04-2009, 12:06 PM
The secret is...the swing. :)

I read it in a fortune cookie. Saved my life! :)

LOL. Yep, the swing ... our guys would only sleep in the swing or bouncy chair until they were abt 3-4mo. We weaned them off and into their cribs at that point.

mamaoftwins
01-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks, all! We had a little progress yesterday, and she slept for a couple of hours in the PNP, tightly swaddled. I think she is still a little congested from her cold, and that is part of the problem. When she's flat she's gets very snorty and coughs a lot. I'm just going to roll with it and let her sleep in the swing a little longer... Luckily, we never got into the habit of actually turning the swing on - we just put her in it for the recline since she was congested and being flat was impossible for her.

And no, I can't believe she's six weeks old already. How on earth did that happen? :)

Oops, sorry, I posted before I caught this last post. Can you maybe put a rolled towel or book under the head of her mattress so you get a recline in her basket/crib, too?