PDA

View Full Version : Need gift advice/recs for crunchy kids

JTsMom
01-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I think I posted about my gift buying dilemma for this same family last year about this time. Still don't know what I'm doing. LOL

I have a friend (not a super close friend- more like a playdate friend) who might as well be the MDC poster mom. She's very careful about the things her children have, so I'm very paranoid about choosing gifts for them. If I ask for recs, she'll say no gift required, but everyone will bring something anyway, so I'm kind of stuck.

Further complicating matters.... The birthday boy (who is turning 5), has a brand new baby brother, who I'd like to bring something for, and a 2.5ish yr. old sister, who I'd feel bad about leaving out at that point.

Would you buy for all 3? Any gift ideas? I really would like to keep the total reasonable if possible too- maybe $50?

bubbaray
01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
KKs all around. Maybe some books?

Honestly, I've stopped worrying about getting the perfect gift anymore. I just buy whatever and include a gift receipt. I don't have time to worry about something I'll probably screw up anyway, KWIM?

JTsMom
01-03-2009, 05:58 PM
LOL- I hear ya! I am a big fan of the gift receipt myself, but if I order something online, I'll feel bad if she has to pay return shipping, kwim?
Thanks for the ideas- I like the KK one especially since I did books last year.

SnuggleBuggles
01-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I would get books, puzzles or games. Look for a brain teaser type game for the 5yo maybe.

Ds's friend had a birthday 2 days after his newest sibling was born just this September. So, I showed up to his party with a present for him and a present for each of the other kids as well. I had in the past bought a gift all the older siblings could do together, like a puzzle or game, but I decided to go for individual presents this time. The kids loved being able to open their very own big sibling present. I kept their gifts under $10 (I'd have done less if they weren't close friends).

I agree with Melissa, include the gift receipt and don't worry!

Beth

JTsMom
01-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Puzzles might be good too- what do you guys think about something like this?
http://www.foryourbugaboo.com/servlet/the-115/voila-basic-versa-tiles/Detail

These seem like a great deal too, and maybe something they wouldn't be likely to have:
http://www.foryourbugaboo.com/servlet/the-188/Marine-Dominoes-by-Voila%2C/Detail

AngelaS
01-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Craft stuff---coloring books, washable markers, Color Wonder or such.

Books are great too. :)

egoldber
01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Some ideas for the 5 year old:

Thinkfun Rush Hour (or the Jr. version)
Geo puzzles
Ravensburger puzzles
Legos (even most crunchy MDCers seem to be OK with Legos ;) )

And you can't go wrong with books from a local store (with a gift receipt).

I agree that if you are going to bring a present for the baby too, then I would also have something for the 2.5 year old. But if it were me, I would probably separate the baby gift from the birthday party.

kijip
01-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I agree with the pp and suggest Siggs or KK, or books or games.

hillview
01-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Agree with PP.
Books, games, blocks, legos, puzzles, art supplies.

/hillary

MontrealMum
01-03-2009, 10:27 PM
KKs all around. Maybe some books?

ditto.

For the baby, depending on where you live and the difficulty of getting these maybe a Foogo or Born Free sippy? Those are hard(er) to find where I live, so they're usually appreciated and commented on.

lizajane
01-03-2009, 11:04 PM
boy: science/nature kit

girl: playsilk or organic fabric baby doll

baby: burt's bees or california baby products, organic fabric gown or onesie, cute cloth diaper or wooden rattle/teether.

brittone2
01-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm a self-admitted picky-ish about toys mom with crunchy tendencies, but I certainly would appreciate any gift from such a thoughtful friend :) Don't stress over it :)

You can't go wrong with books and they are affordable. Ditto the PPs on art supplies (how about those Do a Dot markers or the knockoff version from Michaels, using a coupon for 40% off of course ;) ). That could work for a 5 year old or a 2.5 year old, at least it does around here :) Ditto the Lego (DS loves, and he's almost 5), puzzles etc.

You are a thoughtful friend and that will shine through :)

jessicallyn
01-03-2009, 11:19 PM
If your friend is Waldorf-y type of crunchy these would be good for both older children:

-playsilks in "boy" and "girl" colors
-block crayons
-wood blocks (Melissa and Doug aren't too expensive)

For the baby, any of the "Above the Nile" little dolls, rattles or loveys.

Good luck

JTsMom
01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys! There are a so many great ideas here! :)

citymama
01-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Here's what we do for multi-kid families, and since we have many crunchy friends, this works for them as well: music. We usually do two favorite CDs for the bday kid and siblings - nothing too commercial or religious, but They Might be Giants, Laurie Berkner, Putamayo Kids, are all favorites and something the whole family gets to enjoy. CDs don't take up much room, which is a huge plus for any parent, IMO!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Plan Toys, Sprig Toys, Under the Nile, etc. are great brands. I am pretty crunchy myself!

DrSally
01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
If you do buy something for the baby, they have cute wooden rattles (bird, elephant, etc.) for around $3 each at babycenter. They are just plain wood with a beeswax coating on the outside--very crunchy!

Here it is, but now it's way up in price! Maybe it will go back down. http://store.babycenter.com/product/natural+rattle.do?search=basic&keyword=wood+rattle&sortby=shortdesc&asc=true&page=1

I like the Cd or book idea. How about Laurie Berkner's new CD or an I spy book for the birthday book.

Did you get any of the cranium games for your gift closet during the Xmas sale?

s_gosney
01-04-2009, 05:46 PM
My dd got Sudoku Jr and Clever Castle for Christmas. Both are hits, portable, non-battery operated, and encourage independent play. :)