PDA

View Full Version : Ikea Ektorp sofas? Small sectionals?

alexsmommy
01-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Does anyone here have one? How do you like it? More importantly how is it holding up? I will check on ikeafans, but as fans, I'm guessing most people there love them lol.

On another note - anyone have a small sectional that they like? This is for a basement so I will consider the kind you put together. There is one from jcpenny.com that looks nice (jada) but all the reviews say the feathers poke out and can be uncomfortable. We already have decorative throw pillows that do this and I can't imagine a couch like that. This if for a playroom for two wild boys and a teen and her friends so I am not spending a lot given the abuse it will take.
Thanks.
Alaina

brittone2
01-03-2009, 07:48 PM
No idea, but I'd love to know too. I'm considering replacing our sofa w/ one of these eventually because they are PBDE free.

blisstwins
01-03-2009, 09:21 PM
My mother has one and is happy with it. She is a little of a furniture snob, but she has a pet with "troubles" and it came down to Ektorp or get rid of the pet. She went for the inexpensive sofa with washable covers. They get light usage (her kids are grown), but they seem to be just fine about 2 years out.

lisams
01-03-2009, 09:55 PM
We've had ours for about 4 years and have been pleased. I love that we can take off the slipcovers and wash them, which I end up doing about once a month. I also love that if I want to change colors, I don't have to buy a whole new couch.

What I don't love is that the cushions need pushing back in every day or so. It's not a huge deal, but they don't seem to stay in place and so they kind of stick out a little bit after a day of kiddos climbing on and off.

They've held up well. The cushions seem to be keeping their shape nicely. With all of the washing the slip covers get, they've held up really well.

Tondi G
01-03-2009, 09:58 PM
We have an Ektorp sofa.... got it a year or two ago. We needed something not too expensive that could be washed cause our boys and pets are not kind to furniture! We've washed the cover and pillow covers 2 or 3 times now.... always comes out of the machine looking like a new couch! It's comfy enough (it's not a super plush down couch by any means)... I've spent sick days curled up on it with a cozy blanket. My kids have jumped all over it etc.

WatchingThemGrow
01-03-2009, 10:06 PM
What I don't love is that the cushions need pushing back in every day or so. It's not a huge deal, but they don't seem to stay in place and so they kind of stick out a little bit after a day of kiddos climbing on and off.

Thanks for sharing that important piece of information. As I sit here on my RTG almost 10 yr old still decent-looking couch, I was contemplating an Ektorp. However...this cushion aspect would drive me nuts. I am not a straightener.

What would it be called in the furniture industry where you don't have to do that? I need to know that term for our future purchase.

alexsmommy
01-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Mmm, I'm feeling better and better about this. If my boys did not throw the cushions off of our living room couches daily I might be may concerned with cushion slippage. I usually have to actually pick them up and place them back on the couch so that is nothing new lol.