PDA

View Full Version : Motion/car sickness - help?

Twoboos
01-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Quite frequently, DD1 complains her stomach hurts on "long" car rides. Like longer than 15-20mins. We had to drove for about an hr the other day and the poor thing complained to the point of near-crying for most of the trip! And our last flight was horrible - return trip w/benadryl was much better.

I try to get her to look out the front windshield, instead of her window or down at something in her lap. I have also tried to stop eating in the car. Any other suggestions? I feel so badly for her!

DH and his fam have a history of carsickness, so I'm guessing it's a genetic type thing. <sigh>

Georgia
01-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I get carsick very easily--can't even look at a map for 30 seconds because that seems to count as reading in the car. I'm fine in the front seat but the only thing that helps for a back seat long drive is Dramamine. Having food seems to have no effect either way. I know they make children's Dramamine, but have not passed along those genes thankfully! so have not tried it out.

hillview
01-03-2009, 09:48 PM
My sister used to get SO sick. She did best in the front seat -- not really possible these days. Also on planes she ALWAYS took Dramamine. Not sure how old you DC is but I'd call the pedi and see what they say. Some folks have had good luck with those wrist bands also. I know reading is a MAJOR issue for my sister (and mom) in the car.

ETA she did outgrow the need for Dramamine in her late teens.

GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

pb&j
01-04-2009, 12:43 AM
nak
-keep temp as cold as possible, even if it means you are uncomfortable
-keep her in loose fitting/non-restrictive clothing, and don't overdress her (no coat)
-make sure she is hydrated and has a light meal before car rides (and yes, I would allow her to eat light snacks in the car)
-maximize air circulation in the car, even if it means opening the window on a cold day
-lollipops to suck on

I suffered (and still do) from motion sickness in cars. I was also an airline pilot for several years, and have seen my fair share of airsick passengers. Dramamine never worked for me. DS also has a propensity for car sickness. We do what we can to avoid twisty/hilly routes, but we live in the country, so that's definitely not always possible.

DrSally
01-04-2009, 12:49 AM
I have always had bad motion sickness, so I can totally relate. Is she rearfacing in the carseat. Not that you'd want to turn her, but that can make it worse, so be aware of that. Fresh air can help a lot. I definitely need dramamine on any flight. How about experimenting with those seabands for car rides?

ETA: Don't let her read anything in the car, it makes it muuuch worse.

tarabenet
01-04-2009, 01:14 AM
I have always had problems with motion sickness. Just wanted to second everything Ry said. My ex-husband taught me that a full (not overly so) stomach was less likely to be a problem than an empty one. Counterintuitive, maybe, but true. And I never get in a car without a bottle of water (or a diet coke!).

Twoboos
01-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the responses ladies!

It seems we do most of these things already. I had forgotten about the seasickness bands, I will have to look into those. For anything we know to be over an hour or 2, I would probably do Benadryl - after our horrible outgoing flight I called the ped to see what they thought of Dramamine, but they said she was too young (only 5) and to use Benadryl instead, which worked like a charm for the flight home.

She probably needs to see a gastro ped, she has always had constipation/tummy issues, and complains of a stomach ache frequently in general. It's just a definite, loud complaint after the car. UGH!

tarabenet
01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I forgot! For symptoms *after* the ride, take off shoes and walk around barefoot. Try to pick up the carpet with your toes. It was an idea I picked up from a sill line in "Die Hard" about "making fists with your feet" but I tried it once while concentrating on not errrping, and it helped a lot! For that matter, I usually kick my shoes off in the car anyway. It may be a subconscious way of helping cut the motion sickness. Wort a shot! And it helps with that "keeping cool" thing.

DrSally
01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses ladies!

It seems we do most of these things already. I had forgotten about the seasickness bands, I will have to look into those. For anything we know to be over an hour or 2, I would probably do Benadryl - after our horrible outgoing flight I called the ped to see what they thought of Dramamine, but they said she was too young (only 5) and to use Benadryl instead, which worked like a charm for the flight home.

She probably needs to see a gastro ped, she has always had constipation/tummy issues, and complains of a stomach ache frequently in general. It's just a definite, loud complaint after the car. UGH!

Hmmm, that's interesting. I think that one version of dramamine and benadryl are exactly the same ingred. Maybe there's less of it in the benadryl though?

toby
01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Our ped actually suggested Bonine over Dramamine (our DS is only 4, so some peds may not like that). That being said...it hasn't helped us!

HIU8
01-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I get very motion sick (even when I'm the driver). I often take bonine (dramamine makes me sicker). I also like it cooler in the car. I never read in the car and always have some sort of a drink and snack with me (surprisingly, chewing gum helps me). I cannot ride in the backseat of any car, I do horribly on planes and I can no longer do most carnival rides. However, the bonine, coolness and some food do seem to help me. Also, when we travel by car we do stop often so I can get out into the fresh air and walk around--seems to help as well.