PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about (or show me!) your playfood storage solution...

kayte
01-04-2009, 11:20 AM
DD is a little particular about her play kitchen--the oven should be an oven, the refrigerator the frig... So she doesn't like her playfood stored in it (except the cold stuff in the frig, mind you)... I am curious what everyone does for lots of playfood stored outside the kitchen.

I am headed off to IKEA for some inspiration this morning--but I know you guys will have some great solutions!

ETA - I wound up getting this....

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/71061_PE187368_S4.jpg

And DH got some wheels for the bottom. The plan is to put the food on the shelves (in baskets and Melissa and Doug crates) and her cash register on the top. It will be stored in the pantry (near her play kitchen) and she can roll it out when she wants it.

new_mommy25
01-04-2009, 04:29 PM
That's really cute!!

elektra
01-04-2009, 05:32 PM
LOVE this. Thanks for posting. We need something too. Would you mind posting the name of that? Did you end up getting it at IKEA?

kayte
01-04-2009, 05:43 PM
LOVE this. Thanks for posting. We need something too. Would you mind posting the name of that? Did you end up getting it at IKEA?

Yes I got it at Ikea --it's from the Vacker collection. They actually have fabric 'drawers' to go with it but I found some baskets that fit 2 deep in the kitchen section instead.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40104411

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80119646

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60119647

And the wheels for the bottom came from Home Depot. And I put a 3M command hook on the side to hold her fabric grocery bags.

citymama
01-04-2009, 06:38 PM
That's awesome! Sure your DD will like it.

Unfortunately I don't have the space to consider something like that. I love the question posed by this thread, and wonder if others in small spaces have come up with space-saving ways to store play food. We currently have ours in little IKEA wicker baskets under the play kitchen, but only some of it fits there. We also have some in the oven, but it's a mess. Would love to find some ingenious and space-saving way to store play food, pots and dishes, if anyone has ideas!

salsah
01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
And the wheels for the bottom came from Home Depot.

do you mind sharing how to put the wheels on? i want to add wheels to something but don't have a clue how to do or what i need to get.

kayte
01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
do you mind sharing how to put the wheels on? i want to add wheels to something but don't have a clue how to do or what i need to get.

We bought a set of small casters (they had lots of sizes) and a set of wood screws... DH just screwed them in. They do have different kinds--some for the bottom of metal things that already have holes-- that you push in and then they just lock.

WatchingThemGrow
01-04-2009, 09:11 PM
That's awesome! I was thinking something shelf-like, not so much like the baskets I have now, but in reality, we'll probably not actually follow through with finding appropriate shelves.

Did they have the baskets in other colors?

kerrief
01-04-2009, 09:41 PM
That is a great idea!

Kerrie

JTsMom
01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Wow, that's perfect! Thanks for the idea. :)

As for other ideas- DS's kitchen is an island style, and it has a pot rack above it- I'm sure it would be possible to modify some kitchen to add something similar. Otherwise, maybe a peg board above the kitchen would have a similar effect. I also thought about getting an old nightstand, or something similar, with hidden storage, which would double as workspace.

brittone2
01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
So cute. It is like a perfect little pantry :) What a great choice!!

I cannot wait for the Charlotte Ikea to open. I've been deprived of Ikea here in NC for over 3 years now!!!!

DrSally
01-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Perfect! I really love that it has a lot of shelves, so the bins can be more shallow. I really need to make a trip to IKEA.

alien_host
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Oh that is so cute! Right now I feel like things are a mess in her kitchen. I hate it how the pots and pans don't stack well etc. Generally we have food in the fridge/freezer (I have some cheap plastic bins from the dollar store) and pots/plates/bowls/utensils under the sink or in the oven.

We've had a food explosion though! I'm going to have to reorganize.

KBecks
01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't have playfood but my plan is to use a picnic basket.

kayte
01-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't have playfood but my plan is to use a picnic basket.

I giggled at your post... because ours started out in a picnic basket too.... Now there is sooo much I am willing to spend days shopping for the right solution! LOL!!!

But part of my problem is I got into sewing and felting food... Just yesterday during nap I did some cherries, some peas in pods, and some pringles (a request)....

Hopefully you can resist where I have failed and keep it tame!

salsah
01-05-2009, 06:48 PM
We bought a set of small casters (they had lots of sizes) and a set of wood screws... DH just screwed them in. They do have different kinds--some for the bottom of metal things that already have holes-- that you push in and then they just lock.

thanks. it sounds so easy that i went to home depot today and picked up some casters. now i just have to find some time to screw them in.

citymama
01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Love the little pantry idea!!

If you did not have the space for a pantry maybe hang some shelves on the wall over the kitchen- similar to this- (not my pic)

Ooh, that's cute! Shelves make a lot of sense. We'll have to move the kitchen (it's underneath a window right now, so no way to put shelves above) but we could do it. Will add to the IKEA shopping list....

tiapam
01-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Ooh, that's cute! Shelves make a lot of sense. We'll have to move the kitchen (it's underneath a window right now, so no way to put shelves above) but we could do it. Will add to the IKEA shopping list....

Ours is under a window and DH put cup hooks in the underside of the sill. We hang pots, pans, pot holders and utensils from them.

JTsMom
01-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Love the little pantry idea!!

If you did not have the space for a pantry maybe hang some shelves on the wall over the kitchen- similar to this- (not my pic)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/52/129034321_2c36cbea9e.jpg

Hey, that's our kitchen! (Not the shelf, just the kitchen itself).

mominjune
01-09-2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks OP! We stopped by IKEA yesterday and picked one up. My DDs love it. It was smaller than I was imagining it, but it turns out to be perfect for toddlers. It fits our various M&D wood crate sets of cutting foods, sushi, birthday cakes perfectly, and we put a PBK microwave up on top, and is a great height for DD2 (almost 2yo), while still acceptably high enough for 4yo DD1.

fortato
01-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I was keeping everything in a plastic bin with wheels and handles from Target ($6.99!!) It WAS perfect, until we got all that crappy play food.

FYI- the bins are also perfect for storing all the train pieces under the Nilo train table.

KBecks
01-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I giggled at your post... because ours started out in a picnic basket too.... Now there is sooo much I am willing to spend days shopping for the right solution! LOL!!!

But part of my problem is I got into sewing and felting food... Just yesterday during nap I did some cherries, some peas in pods, and some pringles (a request)....

Hopefully you can resist where I have failed and keep it tame!

Well, I have a bag of felt and no playfood! If you want to sell off any surplus, LMK. :)