PDA

View Full Version : Facebook questions

lisams
01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
If you are logged in and view someone's profile/page, do they know you've viewed it. Likewise is there a way to tell who has viewed your own?

Also, when I go to my FB page. there is always a sidebar with suggestions of people I may know. Almost all of them are friends of my friends. But, there is one that is not a friend of one of my friends and it's someone I know very well (who I have not invited to be a friend). Just not sure how Facebook knew this person is someone I know? Any ideas how they decide who might be a friend other than just being a friend of a friend?

Snow mom
01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't think there is any way to tell who has viewed your page. There are some applications that pretend to track who has viewed your page but it's just a funny thing to freak out people who visit your page. You can of course set your privacy settings to control who can see what on your page.

Typically when facebook suggests friends they say things like "X went to Y College" (where they know you also went.) They tend to suggest people who have some friends in common with you, but it could be another connection.

~Lisa

g-mama
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
1. I am almost positive that you can't see who has viewed your page, nor can someone know you've viewed theirs.

2. They usually put some "reason" under my "People You May Know" - like we both went to same university or something like that. But a couple of times there have been totally random ones that I have no idea who they are (like a 60 year old woman), so I'm not really sure.

lisams
01-04-2009, 09:25 PM
2. They usually put some "reason" under my "People You May Know" - like we both went to same university or something like that.

This is what it is saying, but I went to a huge university and this is the only person listed that isn't a friend of a friend. The person who keeps coming up listed as "someone I may know" is actually DD's teacher, who I think is one of the best teachers ever, I just wouldn't be comfortable having her as a friend on FB (kind of awkward). I'm wondering how facebook has made the connection that I know her (she isn't a friend of any of my friends and she's never invited me to be a friend). I wonder if it's purely random since we both went to the same college?

tarabenet
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I wonder if it's purely random since we both went to the same college?
Yes. I get "friend" suggestions all the time for people who have only just graduated from my alma mater (I was class of '86) or who went to the huge state university where I earned my master's. Don't let it freak you out!

linsei
01-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Is the person in your e-mail address book? I've had it find people from there and suggest them as a friend.

caheinz
01-04-2009, 11:33 PM
It's probably a combination of same school + similar location or same network or something like that.

I wouldn't worry about it. I get a bunch of people who I don't know because I went to big schools for UG, grad, and postdoc, or because two of my friends both know someone else that I don't know at all, for any of a number of reasons....

lisams
01-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Is the person in your e-mail address book? I've had it find people from there and suggest them as a friend.

Ah-ha! I bet that's it!