PDA

View Full Version : New Law to Stop Second-hand Kid Clothes and Toys!!!!!!!

jenny
01-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Did you guys see this article http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,2083247.story

Apparently as of Feb. 9, a new law will take affect that prohibits the buying of second-hand childrens items without proof that it has been tested for pthalates and lead...which means no more selling and buying stuff on ebay, etsy and craigslist or through consignment stores!!!!

There's some discussion going on right now at baby cheapskate, but this was the first I heard of it. Anybody else know about this law? And what this means for those who want to get good bargains???

brittone2
01-04-2009, 09:19 PM
:(

Wow, that's another twist that I wasn't aware of. I am really torn about this whole situation. Things can't continue as they are, but we seem to be pushing out some of the companies with the best reputations (like Selecta).

I feel like they should maybe just require some sort of sign in thrift and consignment stores saying that they can't guarantee 2nd hand items are in compliance w/ CPSC guidelines, kwim? Many 2nd hand places already don't check their items against recalls (we have some in our area that do, but I don't think they all do).

Sigh. eta: thanks for posting

gobadgers
01-04-2009, 09:23 PM
I just heard about the baby cheapskate article too, and am not very well informed yet, but it seems hard to believe that so many thrift and resale shops could be shut down just like that. Especially in these economic times?! Also, how exactly would craigslist sales and yard sales be monitored and enforced? I am imagining some code words being developed on craigslist for black market Gymboree clothing... hehe.

Seriously, we have a kids resale shop a few blocks away that could be done for, and I do 90% of my shopping there and at other thrift stores.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any more details about this.

WatchingThemGrow
01-04-2009, 09:23 PM
I appreciate the safety aspect of this in general, really, I do. But...what will I do?? I get 80% of our clothing 2nd hand and many non-gifted toys and gear the same way. I need to go back and read the whole article later.

brittone2
01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I appreciate the safety aspect of this in general, really, I do. But...what will I do?? I get 80% of our clothing 2nd hand and many non-gifted toys and gear the same way. I need to go back and read the whole article later.

Same here. I buy a few special outfits per season and then the rest is generally thrifted/consignment. I have always planned to continue to buy what we can 2nd hand regardless of our financial circumstances. I shudder to think of the environmental impact.

I wonder if parent to parent sales (like selling via Craigslist) will be exempted?

Bens Momma
01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Wow :47:! I hadn't heard of this and have to admit it's kind of thrown me into a panic. I understand the need to regulate children's products, but I couldn't have made it through the last 5.5 years without second-hand clothing, toys, etc. I would say that about 75% of what my kids have is previously owned. I am quite selective and have always been careful to keep up on recall lists, etc. Does this also mean that local Moms groups and preschools can't run consignment sales? I also have boxes and boxes of baby stuff that I was planning on selling in the spring. I generally sell our things that are safe, clean, and in good condition and put any $ toward buying new stuff for the kids.

Stunned-
R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

KrisM
01-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I've been reading about this for a while on ebay reselling boards. I am working my way through the actual act, from this site: http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/cpsia.HTML. I really don't know all the ins and outs, but my thoughts are that it will apply to things manufactured after that date and the manus will have to do the testing.

Automobiles have a lot of regulations for parts and processes. The suppliers and manufacturers have to test to meet these requirements. I do not have to test my car to sell it to you. (I picked auto because I worked in the auto industry).

So, clothing and toy manufacturers will have to meet regulations and test, but once they do, that item should be deemed "good" and resellers should be fine. So, Goodwill, Mom2Mom sales, ebay, etc should be fine.

However, the small companies and people on Etsy might have big problems. I hate to think of them being shut down because of this Act.

My overall thought is that it will be delayed because the cost of implementing this and the broadness of the way it is worded will be too difficult to manage and it will not really take affect next month.

Melaine
01-04-2009, 09:45 PM
NO WAY!!!!
This just can't be true....I will seriously go into full panic mode if this is the case...I buy and sell so many items this way. I just don't understand how this could actually happen....I mean, what, are yard sales going to become illegal?!?!

o_mom
01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I am imagining some code words being developed on craigslist for black market Gymboree clothing... hehe.

Something like - free Gymbo shirt for shipping and handling fee.... where the S&H fee is $20 ;)

jenny
01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
What about Craigslist?

I've heard that some consignment stores are already refusing to accept children's clothing because of the new law...same with Goodwill.

Can anyone find any more articles on this new law??

niccig
01-04-2009, 09:49 PM
I had planned to get DS a few items in the next size, looks like I'll be stopping by our consignment store before Feb. 10.

shawnandangel
01-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I sent a question to the CPSC asking about Goodwill, Craigslist ect. Will let you know when I hear back from them.

From the CPSC website

For currently effective lead paint limits (600 ppm), general conformity certification is required for products manufactured after November 12, 2008 based on a test of the product or a reasonable testing program for products. Third-party testing of the product for currently effective lead paint limits by accredited third party laboratories is required for products manufactured after December 21, 2008.

When the lead paint limit is lowered to 90 ppm on August 14, 2009, third-party testing by accredited third party laboratories will be required for children’s products manufactured after that date.

Based on this it seems the law is only specific to those items manufactured AFTER the required date. Therefore I can't see why would it effect children's products made before? I think the keyword here is "after".

Another point to make here is that everything will have to be stickered when tested. I can see a place like the Goodwill only selling stickered items in the future while phasing out old items gradually.

carolinamama
01-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Haven't had (made) time to read the article in entirety, but my first thought was that they kids clothing and toy companies lobbied to have this passed so that their markets may grow/not shrink in these tough economic times. I hope my cynacism (sp?) is not correct. Reusing is good for the pocketbook and the environment. Regulations can be good, but....

o_mom
01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
I sent a question to the CPSC asking about Goodwill, Craigslist ect. Will let you know when I hear back from them.

From the CPSC website

Based on this it seems the law is only specific to those items manufactured AFTER the required date. Therefore I can't see why would it effect children's products made before? I think the keyword here is "after".

Another point to make here is that everything will have to be stickered when tested. I can see a place like the Goodwill only selling stickered items in the future while phasing out old items gradually.

This opinion (http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/advisory/317.pdf)from the cpsc lawyer seems to be pretty specific that it applies to exisiting inventory, not just stuff made after.

I think at this point, it is extremely unclear what is going to be covered and I just hope they can figure something out before people go out of business.

MamaKath
01-04-2009, 10:54 PM
I wonder if parent to parent sales (like selling via Craigslist) will be exempted?

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like an outrageous overstep aimed at fixing a bad situation that wasn't monitored when it should have been. A real shame!

It is also a disgrace that it will probably mean closing the doors of many thrift shops that are a real help to those in need. I know many of area shops are compassion driven through churches, it will be a shame if those will be unable to help needy families by providing low cost items.

KpbS
01-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I would say that about 75% of what my kids have is previously owned. I am quite selective and have always been careful to keep up on recall lists, etc. Does this also mean that local Moms groups and preschools can't run consignment sales? I also have boxes and boxes of baby stuff that I was planning on selling in the spring. I generally sell our things that are safe, clean, and in good condition and put any $ toward buying new stuff for the kids.

Ditto. Yikes!!! I am really interested to see how this plays out as far as enforcement etc. goes.

mom2binsd
01-05-2009, 12:20 AM
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=96355

A good followup to the issue.

The folks over on the ebay Children's Clothing Boutique board have been discussing this for weeks, there are a bunch of threads about it.

As a IL resident why doesn't it surprise me this is one of our dopey legislators behind this (and one of our Gov's buddies!).

pillsnberries
01-05-2009, 12:31 AM
does anyone know of something we can do to help stop this? Write to our Senators, notify the local news, etc...

I think it's good in theory, but so many people would be affected. During these hard economic times I'm afraid that enacting this law may do more harm than good, especially for those who don't have much expendable income right now.

Edensmum
01-05-2009, 01:02 AM
I am really curious about the items that had to meet the european standards to begin with. They are much more strict to begin with then Hanna has the Oko tex standard.

strollerqueen
01-05-2009, 04:16 AM

The folks over on the ebay Children's Clothing Boutique board have been discussing this for weeks, there are a bunch of threads about it.

As a IL resident why doesn't it surprise me this is one of our dopey legislators behind this (and one of our Gov's buddies!).

HAHAHA! That made my night ;) And OT, but, WHAT is that guy still DOING THERE???

jenny
01-05-2009, 08:32 AM

So according to this article, consignment shops are in the clear if they sell one, unique item. But what about retailers on etsy and people who sell hand-made t-shirts on websites?

Does this mean the end of church consignment sales??

mmaimp
01-05-2009, 09:58 AM
You can vote for this topic at change.org

http://www.change.org/ideas/view/save_handmade_toys_from_the_cpsia

amldaley
01-05-2009, 11:06 AM

No more Red Hen!!!!! :crying:

amldaley
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
So according to this article, consignment shops are in the clear if they sell one, unique item. But what about retailers on etsy and people who sell hand-made t-shirts on websites?

Does this mean the end of church consignment sales??

The Etsy, WAHM made wares, etc angle is covered at www.nationalbankruptcyday.com There are a couple of other threads on that aspect of it here, too. I did not realize it covered consignments etc.

rlu
01-05-2009, 05:20 PM
http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2009/01/please-act-on-t.html

I hope it's ok I linked to Amy's site instead of the other pages. I don't think she'll mind given the urgency of the request.

WatchingThemGrow
01-05-2009, 07:46 PM
No more Red Hen!!!!! :crying:Aww. that's such a cute little place. I've never bought stuff there, but I stop in and look every so often.

brittone2
01-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Aww. that's such a cute little place. I've never bought stuff there, but I stop in and look every so often.

I love the Red Hen. I consigned some stuff on one occasion, and have shopped there several times. I love that they carry cloth dipes...so nice to buy locally. They also carry babylegs and other fun stuff that is new. I got an email recently saying they are carrying Scuut balance bikes now too. We have a balance bike already but I thought it was great that they are carrying them :)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Go to http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/ and learn how you can help!

http://www.zrecommends.com/detail/breaking-news-selecta-to-cease-us-distribution-due-to-cspia/

http://www.thesmartmama.com/bg/

All of these are great resources. I am looking at stocking up on toys, Selecta already pulled out of the US market. I am all for toy safety, but European standards which are comparable, often better, should be honored. I trust the German made toys I have are safe....

C99
01-07-2009, 04:54 PM

I know. I e-mailed Durbin via a form to protest these section of the law and got some stupid form letter back touted Durbin's contribution and did not address *any* of my e-mail.