PDA

View Full Version : Will a Glider change my life?

pamxch
01-04-2009, 10:07 PM
OK, I have to admit it. My baby is colicky.

My husband and I have made it past the 12 week mark and the colic has improved. But now the baby has a cold and his colicky symptoms have returned worse than they were ever before. In the evenings, he will cry unless someone holds him and walks around with him. Holding him is not enough. Sitting with him and bouncing him isn’t enough. Putting him in the swing isn’t sufficient. He seems to need both a person to hold him and a large amount of motion. Then he’ll be quiet. The baby is in full time daycare so I know this is one of many future colds.

Will a glider help my husband and me spend less time walking around the house with the baby in our arms? It’s hard on both our backs to walk him so much. We like holding the baby, just not walking so much.

If a glider would make a difference, any recommendations as to which one? My husband is much taller than me, 6’ 4”, while I am 5’ 1”.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Pam

KBecks
01-04-2009, 10:24 PM
I love gliders. It may not help your specific situation, but they are so nice to have, I think it's worth a shot.

I have 4 gliders in my house, all are Dutailier sleigh style rockers, no ottomans, 1 purchased new when my first was 1 week old, and 3 craigslist finds.

srhs
01-04-2009, 10:29 PM
We did not buy one with DC1, and I am thinking we should find something DC.
It's hard to say if it will be effective or not without trying it out. We did A LOT of walking and soothing too. Have you seen Happiest Baby on the Block,
btw?
Do you know anyone who has one that you could visit during that fussy time to try out?
You could also try a regular recliner.
gl! And congrats on the new baby!

C99
01-04-2009, 10:43 PM
If none of the other things work, I'd suggest taking your baby to BRU or something to test out the gliders and see if gliding actually works before making the investment. We have an upholstered rocking chair and have used it steadily through 3 kids, but when DS2 had colic, the rocking chair did nothing. We usually took him outside to listen to traffic/ambient noise.

citymama
01-05-2009, 03:11 AM
Suggestion from someone who was in exactly the same situation with the same question (but a different baby - and that makes all the difference!): a sling/carrier will probably change your life more than a glider right now. Or perhaps don't see it as an either-or - get a sling that you and/or your DH are comfortable using. You need something to save your arms and shoulders from all that carrying, but it sounds like your baby really wants to be held, and likes motion. We bought a glider before DD was born (now almost 3 years ago) and I didn't use it much till after she turned 18 months and weaned! Now we use it as a comfy chair in her room, to read and hang out. It sat in our living room prior to that - I preferred to walk her around our apt in a sling, and cuddle up in bed with her to nurse. But each parent and baby is different, so the glider may be more of a fit with your needs than it was with mine. I highly recommend you look into the carrier, though - see the carrier boards for excellent suggestions.

Congrats on making it through 12 weeks - definitely the hardest period of life with a newborn! and of course, congrats on the new bundle of joy.

ahrimie
01-05-2009, 07:18 AM
If none of the other things work, I'd suggest taking your baby to BRU or something to test out the gliders and see if gliding actually works before making the investment. We have an upholstered rocking chair and have used it steadily through 3 kids, but when DS2 had colic, the rocking chair did nothing. We usually took him outside to listen to traffic/ambient noise.

I'd go to BRU or somewhere and try it out too because gliders are a hefty investment. Have you tried turning on water in the bathroom and seeing if the sound helps? I'd also try swaddling--as TIGHT as you can get it. When my DD went through her fussy period, I swaddled and used the glider when I was REALLY tired but it didn't do wonders for us. The glider motion is forward/backward and she seemed to like the side-to-side motion better--that almost always worked. We would have died without our Soothie too. I was a bit worried we might have bad habits to deal with later but she weaned herself off of it around 4 months.

pamxch
01-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't considered that the motion of a glider might be too smooth. It's a good idea to go to BRU and try out the glider when he's fussy. I'll also look into carriers.

I'm hopeful again!

pamxch
01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
BTW we have been using the Happiest Baby on the Block techniques - read the book, watched the DVD, and even bought the accompanying CD of soothing sounds. They help a lot, but sometimes it seems only walking will do.

hellokitty
01-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Have you tried some gripe water? When my babies were really colicky, usually they had to burp or fart and it would help with that. The motion didn't help my second son who was very colicky, he would just cry while I held him, so I don't think a glider would have been worthwhile.

sunriseiz
01-05-2009, 04:16 PM
a sling/carrier will probably change your life more than a glider right now.

Ditto this suggestion. Smooth movement didn't do it for either of my babies and something to save your arms and back would likely be a good investment (and not so hefty).

Best wishes!