PDA

View Full Version : Feingold ?s

egoldber
01-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I have been considering trying Feingold with Sarah for some time. But we really cannot afford the $85 for the materials right now. I found "The Blue Book" online. Is it feasible to try this without the materials?

And my other big hesitation is that she is already a very picky eater. Could someone tell me a basic list of fruits and veggies to avoid? The processed foods worry me less because we don't eat tons of those anyway. But she has a very small list of fruits and veggies that she will eat so making it even smaller kind of freaks me out. Although I guess doing it for a week or even 2 couldn't really hurt.

If this doesn't work with her I am going to consider gluten free next and then dairy. But those both really scare me because she eats a lot of wheat and a lot of dairy. She doesn't like most meats, so cheese and milk are major foods for her.

MamaKath
01-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I have been considering trying Feingold with Sarah for some time. But we really cannot afford the $85 for the materials right now. I found "The Blue Book" online. Is it feasible to try this without the materials?

And my other big hesitation is that she is already a very picky eater. Could someone tell me a basic list of fruits and veggies to avoid? The processed foods worry me less because we don't eat tons of those anyway. But she has a very small list of fruits and veggies that she will eat so making it even smaller kind of freaks me out. Although I guess doing it for a week or even 2 couldn't really hurt.

If this doesn't work with her I am going to consider gluten free next and then dairy. But those both really scare me because she eats a lot of wheat and a lot of dairy. She doesn't like most meats, so cheese and milk are major foods for her.

Sounds like my dd. I actually joined a yahoo group that someone recommended (I think on MDC maybe) that was very helpful. I will find the link. I know awhile back I asked about Feingold, my post was moved to the food forum and had a couple responses. Let me see what I can find...

MamaKath
01-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Here is my thread with some food suggestions from some of the mamas.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130256&highlight=feingold

Also check out the Special Needs Parenting (http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=157)Board and the Nutrition and Good (http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=267)eating forums at MDC are helpful; run a search to bring up lots of info (you will have to weed through it a bit).

Still looking for a few other links I thought I had handy...

kransden
01-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Have you seen this website? It has a list of do/don't foods. http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/1067004/

MamaKath
01-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Still looking for a few other links I thought I had handy...

PM'ed you. :)

egoldber
01-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks. :)

How long to stay on Stage 1 before typically seeing results?

JBaxter
01-05-2009, 08:41 AM
I could tell a difference within the first week.

egoldber
01-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Another question. I have read about hidden ingredients. If a food does not list preservatives in the ingredient list, could there still be preservatives?

Thanks!

mamicka
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Kath, I'd love to check out the other resources you've got. I'm in the same boat over here.

Thanks!

MamaKath
01-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Mamicka/Allison cypm
:)

Elilly
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
We are using digestive enzymes with Colleen. These, along with EFAs, have been a big help for her. We are doing these as an alternative to the gluten free casein free diet. We are reducing gluten and casein... using GFCF TJ's waffles for breakfast, using rice pasta for spaghetti etc. Just another idea.

daisymommy
01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Beth, as you probably saw in the linked post, Joshua is on the Feingold diet. To answer a few of your questions, they have to stay on Stage 1 for I believe 2 weeks.

As far as preservatives go, it is usually listed, but some companies are tricky. Such as:
Coating the inside of cheese-stick wrappers with preservatives--but not the food itself. The food is of course tightly sealed against the wrapper, so it now has the preservative on it. Doesn't sound like a huge big deal, but if your child is really sensitive to preservatives, even that small amount will set them off.

Spraying the clear plastic bag inside cereal boxes with preservative.

The Vitamin A powder in Lowfat or Skim Milk usually contains preservatives. So you either need to buy 2% or whole milk, or buy milk from an approved source (I can email you the list of brands for our area that are okay).

And things like bread often doesn't have the preservative listed on it.

UGH. It can be such a headache really if you don't have a list to go off of, I hate to say it. But if you don't have the money for the kit (which is a true life saver!), maybe between some of us and the Yahoo group MamaKath mentioned, we can get you the information you need.

Best of luck to you,