PDA

View Full Version : wwyd today?

Edensmum
01-05-2009, 09:49 AM
I am in a hotel in downtown DC. I have a cousin who i havent' seen in at least a year with kids dd would have a great time with about 30 mles away. I am here tomorrow but icy rain is in the forcast so today's the day to either see DC via trolly or something like that or go see my cousin. I am a bit intimidated byt either idea as my van has been parked by someone else 2-3 blocks away and the directions for driving around this circle laden city are complicated. I am not a typically intimidated person but this is not an easy city to navigate. I have no stroller or anything and I am not sure if I can get dd to walk enough to really see this city, and I have no idea how to find my way back if I get off track or the directions arent' good for either so would you
Go see cousin(you will eventually find your way back)
trolly tour (you're only here right now, and so what if it's expensive you will find you way back from them too)
huddle in your hotel room and watch the city out the window.

Melaine
01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Honestly, I would probably enjoy the hotel and hope that they have an indoor pool. But I am easily intimidated!

maestramommy
01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Can you cousin come and see you? I assume if she lives there she must know the area better. Can she at least meet you somewhere close by?

JTsMom
01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm fearless, so there's no way I'd stay at the hotel. LOL

How about calling your cousin and begging her to drive to you, and take you on a tour of the city?

kep
01-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I would only drive DC with a GPS. Seriously. I have attempted it once or twice without ours, but we have lived here for almost three years now. Mapquest is really just not helpful in DC. I would try to enjoy the hotel. :hug:

momtojack
01-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I am in DC, and while driving here is intimidating, it really isn't too bad as long as you aren't doing it at the height of rush hour. As far as what to do, I would do whichever you think you and DD would enjoy more.

If you do decide to see DC, I would suggest choosing one or two things that you would both enjoy rather than trying to see everything in one day - I think a trolley tour, especially on a cold day with no stroller, would be exhausting with a little one. If you are in downtown DC, it should be pretty easy to jump on the metro and get to the Mall area where the Capitol, monuments, musuems are. DS is 3.5 and LOVES the Natural History Museum - especially the dinosaurs, the huge life-size animal display and the children's room. The Air and Space Museum is another hit for us.

Good luck deciding and if you have questions about getting around DC feel free to PM me. Hope you have a great day!

Shelly

egoldber
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Can you use the metro rather than drive? I will drive in DC, but I don't like to. But it's pretty easy to get down to the National Mall and browse the museums from pretty much anywhere.

mommy111
01-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Take the metro or a cab to some place close by and ask your cousin to come meet you there. Then she can drive you back. If she's free to see you, she's free to drive over and pick you up. If I had the day off, I wouldn't even think of having an out of town friend drive over to see me, I'd drive over and pick them up and take them around, esp if they didn't have GPS. Try giving the cousin a call.
Don't stay indoors or at the hotel.....its no fun!

happymomma
01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
We live in the DC area and I would totally suggest going on the metro. It's really nice and the kids love it. I would suggest going to the mall area and seeing the Natural History Museum. Our kids both love it.

amldaley
01-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I am in DC, and while driving here is intimidating, it really isn't too bad as long as you aren't doing it at the height of rush hour. As far as what to do, I would do whichever you think you and DD would enjoy more.

If you do decide to see DC, I would suggest choosing one or two things that you would both enjoy rather than trying to see everything in one day - I think a trolley tour, especially on a cold day with no stroller, would be exhausting with a little one. If you are in downtown DC, it should be pretty easy to jump on the metro and get to the Mall area where the Capitol, monuments, musuems are. DS is 3.5 and LOVES the Natural History Museum - especially the dinosaurs, the huge life-size animal display and the children's room. The Air and Space Museum is another hit for us.

Good luck deciding and if you have questions about getting around DC feel free to PM me. Hope you have a great day!

Shelly

:yeahthat:

I love DC, especially in winter. The Metro is easier than walking or driving. See if your hotel has a shuttle to the Mall (monuments) or at least to the Metro. The museums are awesome. Invite your cousin to join you!

3blackcats
01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
The Metro is very easy to navigate and use. If your cousin lives 30 miles away, I am assuming that is the Northern VA or Maryland area. You can take the VRE train or the MARC train from Union Station which is on the Metro line to the suburbs. Just watch your times as the trains are on schedules. The Metro however, runs every 5 minutes during rush hour and 20 mins during the slow times. Tickets are fairly cheap as well.

Your hotel lobby will have a map of the Metro and can tell you how they work. Also when you get to the Metro stations they will have people on duty that can help you purchase tickets and figure out what train to ride.

You could also get your cousin to meet you at one of the Metro stations in VA or MD.

Just remember if you do drive that I-66 is turns to HOV-only on the way out of the city around 3pm. You must have 3 people in the car to drive on those lanes.

Hope this helps!

shawnandangel
01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree with the PP. Call your cousin and have her meet you somewhere. I like the Natural History Museum idea. You can take the kids there and then maybe go to lunch together.

egoldber
01-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Just remember if you do drive that I-66 is turns to HOV-only on the way out of the city around 3pm. You must have 3 people in the car to drive on those lanes.

Actually you only need 2 people in your vehicle on 66. :) It's 95 that requires 3 to use the HOV lanes.

JustMe
01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I am also wondering if your cousin can come to you. Maybe you could even see some sites together, but either way seems like it would be great if she could come to you and do something fun with the kids.

ahrimie
01-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I would venture out! Ask your cousin to meet you or come to you. You guys could even just go to the pool in your hotel. But I think going to a museum would be great for your DD too.

HIU8
01-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Take the metro or have your cousin come into town to get you. Honestly, navigating the city is not that difficult, but the Obama's have arrived and there are several street closings until about January 15th around their hotel (the Hays something or other...--can you tell I live in the DC area......).

mommy111
01-05-2009, 01:34 PM
So what did you do? Not curious or anything ;)

egoldber
01-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Honestly, navigating the city is not that difficult, but the Obama's have arrived and there are several street closings until about January 15th around their hotel (the Hays something or other...--can you tell I live in the DC area......).

LOL! I was just coming back to this thread to mention this. They were talking about this on the traffic report on the radio when I was out running errands. :) They didn't say it was because of the Obamas, but I figured that was what they meant.

HIU8
01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
I heard it on the news this morning. I am one of those people who stays as far away from the city when things like this are happening as possible. I prefer not to go into the city b/c of the traffic on any given day, but I do have doctors down there (mostly in NW around K street). I am also one of the people who will be either staying home or going further away on January 20th. My sister and BIL are going downtown and have asked me to pick up DNiece from daycare (I don't expect to see them until way way way after dinner).

MamaKath
01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Take the metro down to the mall and go to the Natural History Museum!!! It is really fun. :)

MamaKath
01-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Oooh forgot about Obama's arriving. Swim in the hotel's indoor pool?

Edensmum
01-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Okay so cousins kids were sick this morning and dd and I went to the Mall and museum. It was fun, we took a cab back though because she was spent and I was not willing to carry her home. Thanks!