PDA

View Full Version : Crib buying woes

BampeMom
01-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Hello,
This is my first post to this site. I've found reading through all the posts so useful as I'm pretty overwhelmed. Especially in the crib shopping department.

So here's my q - my husband and I saw the Sorelle City Lights Commuter Crib on BRU.com. It's only available online and the shipping is almost as much as the crib itself so that's not an option (we were hoping to use some gift cards for the purchase).

Regardless, we found we can order it from our local USA Baby store. But they don't have one in stock for us to see first. The sales lady told me Sorelle is a good brand, but obviously she has her motives. On this board, it sounds like Sorelle is okay, but their customer service is a major problem. Not sure if we should just start over again and try to find something else. Without seeing it first and poor customer service rep., it makes me nervous.

So with that said, any recommendations for sturdy/safe, simple modern cribs for under $400 (pref. w/ no drop sides)? Is that possible? I love the look of Ouef cribs, but that's out of the budget. Or, anyone out there who own a City Lights from Sorelle or think it would be a safe buy regardless of my reservations?

Sorry this is so long.

Thanks in advance!

hellokitty
01-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Have you checked into Ikea?

wendibird22
01-05-2009, 01:00 PM
We have the Bonavita Peyton Lifestyle (http://www.mybabyscrib.net/peco.html) crib (converts to double bed). We love it. Beautiful. Sturdy. Well constructed. Reasonably priced (the one linked is $430, but I think we paid less).

ahrimie
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I would second Ikea if you're going for a modern look. The parents here really seem to love them.

I have a Munire crib and bought mine at USA Baby. Though I'm thrilled with the crib, getting it IN our home was such a nightmare. Basically, you want to plan 4-5 months in advance to ensure you have it in time.

BampeMom
01-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for suggesting Ikea. At the very same time you suggested it, a friend via email did the same. I guess I think of Ikea as being good dorm room furniture, but not always the best quality (sometimes that's fine, but with a baby's crib, not so sure). But you're right, there are rave reviews out there. Doesn't look like they are JPMA certified but the Ikea site says they are compliant with US and Canadian safety standards.

Thanks!

Beckylove
01-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm in love with my Oak Heritage Crib by Baby Cache from BRU. We've had it for 6 months. It is solid and sturdy. It has a traditional look and I think think it is beautiful. It was on sale for around $400.

hellokitty
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Look at it this way, cribs are basically temporary furniture. It isn't something that has to last a lifetime. FWIW everyone I know who got an Ikea crib was very satisfied with theirs. I think that it is a smart choice to make. If you want to buy heirloom quality furniture, then wait until your child(ren) transition into a regular bedroom set. That is what we did. We didn't spend that much on our cribs, but spent good $ on our boys' bedroom furniture. Really, that is the furniture that will need to last and the furniture that they will remember growing up with.

BampeMom
01-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks, HelloKitty!
We're going to Ikea on Saturday...and saving lots of money! You guys are great. :bighand:

Cheers!