PDA

View Full Version : Is the nursery supposed to be completely dark during naps?

banzai75x
01-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Do you think it is better to have a room completely dark or dark as possible during daytime naps? Or would you rather just have some slight light through a curtain be acceptable?

ahrimie
01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I use our blackout shade and find that works best with my DD. It's not COMPLETELY dark but definitely dark. I leave the door slighty ajar and there's an automatic night light by her door.

elliput
01-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I'd say it depends on the kid. My DC seem to nap well in any type of lighting (full daylight, dimmed, dark), but need to have nearly no light at night.

wendibird22
01-05-2009, 12:55 PM
DDs room definitely isn't dark for naps and actually on sunny days, is quite bright even with the shades pulled. She doesn't have a problem sleeping and it has helped us when she's needed to nap at other locales (like on vacation, camping, at a friends, at the sitters, etc) when we can't control how dark it is in the room. This way, she doesn't need it to be dark to sleep.

hellokitty
01-05-2009, 05:10 PM
It made a difference for our kids. Not only for naps, but in the summer too. Before I got blackout shades my kids would wake up as SOON as the sun rose! Yeah, I was not a happy camper. We got black out shades from JCP and I've been very happy with them. Make sure if you order them, that you order them a little bit wider than the glass part of your window. That was my mistake, b/c now there is a gap to let some light through, if I would have ordered them wider, then the room would be better insulated from the light.

infomama
01-06-2009, 04:05 AM
Darken it as much as you can. We never went as far as putting up black out shades but we didn't have much luck putting them down without a very dim room.

Snow mom
01-06-2009, 11:30 AM
We are in the "get them used to sleeping through it" camp. I'm sure it depends on what your LO will tolerate, but I figure if they will nap without the nursery darkened, there is no point in getting them used to the idea that they should only sleep under certain conditions.

~Lisa

slworld
01-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm sure it depends on what your LO will tolerate, but I figure if they will nap without the nursery darkened, there is no point in getting them used to the idea that they should only sleep under certain conditions.

~Lisa

:yeahthat:

scrooks
01-07-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm also in the "getting them used to sleeping in whatever camp". I didn't want her to only be able to sleep in the dark.