PDA

View Full Version : Help! Baby Cache (Munire) or Ikea or Bonavita??

MrsGoose
01-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Oy! I am losing it! strollers, carseats, cribs OH MY!

I was very happy to find i liked a crib at BRU for 299... but when i tried to find any info or reviews on it, i couldn't find a thing!! :(
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-4648340reg.jpg
I finally searched here and found this link : http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304129&highlight=baby+cache (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304129&highlight=baby+cache)
Here is a quote from the link above:
The mattress support is a piece of MDF reinforced with solid wood ribs. It attaches to the crib frame with stationary metal brackets and bolts (not springs). I was also slightly concerned about MDF being strong enough but after seeing it in person I'm not worried at all about safety.

after reading that, i wasn't sure.. is a wood support enough??

I also like this crib from IKEA (well, i don't like it as much, but i love the price! and that i'd be able to get my uppa baby if i got this crib...)
it is the Gulliver:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/70462_PE185759_S3.jpg

I also like the Bonavita Peyton, which is about 430 at the store near me,.. I like the look of that one the best... but definitely not the price, and the fact that you can't use a bumper on it...

http://www.babyfurniturewarehouse.com/simmons/bonavitapeytoncrib_sm.jpg

Any advice, help would be great! How'd you pick, are you happy with your ikea? How hard is it to lower any of these beds... ANY INFO would be great!!

wendibird22
01-05-2009, 02:18 PM
We have the Bonvita Peyton and love, love, love it. Didn't miss having a bumper...you can only use them for such a short period of time anyway before they recommend not using them. Great quality construction.

Mermanaid
01-05-2009, 02:21 PM
We used a crib with an MDF insert/supports for both of our kids (same crib acutally). They graduated to a twin bed at around 18months each. So, I figure the crib got about 3 years of use out of it and we had no problem with the MDF insert. Yes, springs are nice but the MDF is good enough. I just made sure to get a good mattress.

MrsGoose
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
We have the Bonvita Peyton and love, love, love it. Didn't miss having a bumper...you can only use them for such a short period of time anyway before they recommend not using them. Great quality construction.

have you lowered the crib mattress at all? was it a PITA? Thanks so much for your review!!

wendibird22
01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes, DD is 17mos and we lowered it to the bottom level when she was about 9mos IIRC. I'm short, 5'2" on a good day and have no problem lowering into the crib if she's already asleep. We never used the intermediate setting...figured if DH was getting out the tools to lower it, might as well just do it once and put it all the way down. I was worried about the side being too tall for me to comfortably be able to get DD in/out but the sales lady pointed out to me that the drop side cribs lowered are typically the same height as the stationary crib's lower side.

Oh, in addition to not being able to use a bumper, we did have a bit of trouble with her mobile at first. We didn't need to get an extender or anything for the mobile but because of how the top piece of wood on the "back" of the crib sticks out, the mobile had to be on a slight angle to get the pieces screwed together. But, that said, our DD could have cared less about the mobile anyway so even if we hadn't figured out how to attach it, she surely wouldn't have missed it. I could have saved the $.

LMPC
01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
We have that exact crib from IKEA (Gulliver) and I love it. Not only was it a good price but it's been a great crib. The picture makes it look SO plain, but once we got it into the nursery with the linens, etc. it looks much nicer. FYI, we also bought an IKEA mattress for it, and I haven't heard any complaints from the baby :)

tmphilo
01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I know it's not the same crib you're looking at, but we have the Baby Cache Manhattan crib from BRU and love it. The crib feels very solid.

AFunkyBabysMom
01-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I found the main baby cache website (finally) when I searched for the matching nightstand. http://babycache.com/index.html I plan to e-mail and find out how "temporary" 'temporarily out of stock' means at BRU.

MrsGoose
01-11-2009, 04:39 PM
thanks, i think it may be a bad sign that my BRU has them as temporarily out of stock also!! I will be so sad if it is discontinued! sigh.

sethshell15
01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Any luck getting information when the Baby Cache's might be back "in stock"? Has anyone contacted Baby Cache directly?

Also saw on the Baby Cache website that they have a nightstand in the Tampa collection. BRU doesn't have that listed. Anyone able to purchase that anywhere?

MrsGoose
01-13-2009, 03:26 PM
I called bru and they said they had plenty in the warehouse! So I'd check your bru! You just have to order it, takes about two weeks acording to the guy I talked to

vcardug
01-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I just purchased my Baby Cache Taylor crib from BRU last night. It seems like they had plenty Baby Cache cribs/furniture available for purchase.

maylips
01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Just an opinion here - we bought a Munire for DD #1 and now I wish we had saved the money and just got an Ikea. The Munire is great, well made, etc, but for the length of time they're in there...well, I would get the better stroller. I am a label snob to a certain extent too, which is why we bought the Munire, but now we're already talking about a big girl bed and I just look sadly at this expensive crib and wish we hadn't invested so much in it.

Just my 2 cents. I would get the Uppa!

MrsGoose
01-28-2009, 09:21 PM
I got the baby cache, but !@##% BRU marked up the price 30 bucks! Grr! thanks everyone!

me11y
03-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I purchased the Baby Cache Tampa crib, combo and amoire about a month ago from BRU... now that it's in the store and ready to be picked-up I'm being told I can't pick it up yet......
"They" are testing the drawers on the combo and amoire to see if they meet new government standards - no one can give me a good idea as to when this testing will be complete so we can pick-up our furniture! I was also told that this line has been discontinued....:nodno:
Is anyone else in this situation? Or does anyone have more info - I'm not sure how long I should wait before I start to shop again, I'd like to have the baby's room complete before she arrives!

Seatownshawn
03-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Very interesting to read this just now....my wife just went to BRU this afternoon to place our order for the Baby Cache Tampa crib and dresser. She was told that the dresser was on a "stop sale" because it was under some type of investigation...but nobody could tell her what type, what for, how long...nothing. I don't believe that they were keeping anything under wraps...they just didn't know. They couldn't tell us if the dresser would ever be available again....we can still buy the crib, for now...but they may be discontinuing the entire line since some of the collection will become unavailable.

We are now scrambling to figure out which direction to go....and looking at Bonavita possibly (which is what landed me on this thread). Baby is due in 8 weeks, and I feel like I'm back at the drawing board on a decision that we had finalized some time ago....

If anyone has more info on the Baby Cache Tampa line, or thoughts on Bonavita....I would love the feedback.

me11y
03-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Sounds like we're in the exact same position trying to decide what to do about furniture - wait for the Tampa to possibly be available or keep shopping - we also have 8 weeks to go!!! Yikes!! I'll keep calling BRU and trying to find out more info, if I learn something new I'll be sure to post it.

BayGirl2
03-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I had the Baby Cache Tampa crib and combo on my BRU registry. I went to BRU this Sat to purchase them and was told the combo is discontinued and unavailable for ordering, and the crib is soon to be discountinued but still in stock. I was pretty mad - the registry sent emails when a pacifier on my registry was discontinued, but no notice about this!?! They said nothing about safety issues with the combo.

I am in the same boat now, considering whether to buy Munire, which is the only other style I've seen that I really like, or to save my $$ and get Ikea. I am finding plenty of cribs that are fine, its the dresser/combo's that seem to have poor quality and/or high prices.

I'm interested if anyone has found a place to still buy the Tampa line, and if those who went with Ikea were satisfied with the quality after a couple years of use.

me11y
03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
So I went to USA Baby to purchase the Bonativa Metro instead of the Baby Cache Tampa at BRU because I don't want to wait and see anymore. I was telling the USABaby salesperson about the situation so she called Munire to find out the deal. Apparently.... all of the furniture HAS passed the government testing - problem is, the exclusive BRU contract with the Baby Cache Tampa line is over and BRU is discontinuing it. So, they are telling their customers that it is not available due to testing. But USA Baby is able to order the crib, combo, and armoire for the same price and it should be here within 3 weeks - we'll see!