PDA

View Full Version : How do I slice almonds without cutting my fingers off?

elektra
01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
There must be a way right? I tried to get sliced almonds at the store but couldn't find any and came home with just raw almonds. I tried slicing them and it didn't really work. They are toasting in the oven right now with the thought that they might slice better after?
I want to use them for a chicken salad I am making.
I am such a rookie in the kitchen it's not even funny.

SnuggleBuggles
01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
I'd probably toss them into the food processor or blender and just have almond pieces vs slices. They'll still taste good. :)

Beth

brittone2
01-05-2009, 04:28 PM
I'd probably toss them into the food processor or blender and just have almond pieces vs slices. They'll still taste good. :)

Beth
:yeahthat:

I'm not aware of any way you can slice them on your own. I'd just pulse in the food processor so they are coarsely chopped. We use a LOT of almonds and almond flour around here but I've never seen or heard of a way to slice/sliver them on your own.

willow33
01-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I think some food processors have a slicing blade, but if you don't have one I would just do as the others suggested.

egoldber
01-05-2009, 04:33 PM
I slice mine just fine with my chef's knife. I recently made a bunch of biscotti with almonds and I wanted them sliced, not pieces.

brittone2
01-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I slice mine just fine with my chef's knife. I recently made a bunch of biscotti with almonds and I wanted them sliced, not pieces.

Who knew?! LOL. I assumed they'd crumble when cut. Good to know ;)

elektra
01-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! They do seem to slicing much easier now that they are out of the oven. I totally just ran in here to check the computer to see if I was on the right track. DD's nanny also suggested the food processor. ;) But I had that beautiful sliced almond picture in my head like you see in restaurants, KWIM? My new slices are pretty ugly! But they will taste fine I'm sure, and I will definitely just use the food processor next time. (I think I have used it once since I received it as a wedding present so why not break it in? ;) )
Thanks!

srhs
01-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I use my hand chopper to chop them but no nice slivers, obviously.

Beth--I'd sure love a good a homemade biscotti recipe!!! Can you make a bunch and freeze them?

egoldber
01-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I was on quite a biscotti kick over the holidays and I made several of these:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/biscotti/Biscotti.html

I made the almond, chocolate almond, and cranberry pistachio. :)

I didn't freeze them because I gave most of them away as gifts.