PDA

View Full Version : OMG, what did I just do?

gatorsmom
01-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I just lost a computer file with at least 3 weeks worth of work. I don't have a Mac. I was moving scans of some antique family photos from our computer to an external hard drive for safe keeping (and to free up some space). Somehow, with a accidental quick click and drag, I moved an entire folder of photo scans to another place on my computer. And I can't find it.

I don't know how to do "undo" except on MSWord or MS Excel. If I'm working on folders, is there an undo option?

Any advice would be great. I'm just sick- it took me many, many weeks of staying up late after the kids were in bed to scan these pictures. I know they are still somewhere on the computer, I just don't know where. and I really don't have the time to open each folder and look for them. It would probably be faster to just rescan them (we have so much junk saved on our computer. LOL).

egoldber
01-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Just do a file search. Open an Explorer window, click on the Search button up top and tell it one of the file names that you want to look for.

I do this *all* the time. My dragging finger is not so good.....

gatorsmom
01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Just do a file search. Open an Explorer window, click on the Search button up top and tell it one of the file names that you want to look for.

I do this *all* the time. My dragging finger is not so good.....

I can't find it. I searched everything. If I deleted it wouldn't it give me the dialog box saying, "Are you sure you want to delete this file and all it's contents?" I didn't see that. Am i missing something?

I haven't actually changed this file except for trying to copy it and resave it. Does the computer consider that modifying the file? Because in it's advanced search it allows you to search for files that have been modified today.

I think I'm going to cry...

DrSally
01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Yes, try a file search. I really would try to find it before considering rescaning.

urquie
01-05-2009, 05:39 PM
have you tried clicking on "recent items" or recent documents?

srhs
01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Are you in Vista or XP?

3blackcats
01-05-2009, 06:09 PM
This is if you are in XP, i have never used Vista. I love my Mac too much, lol.

When searching for files, make sure you are looking in hidden files as well. There will be an option to check to look through the hidden files. Do all files, not just by a date.
Put in just part of the folder name that you removed. For example if it is called "My Super Cool Pics" just look for the work Super.
Also, make sure the computer knows where you want to look. Look on C:\ which is the default hard drive in most computers. Then, you need to look on the external hard drive because you may have dropped it there. I don't know what letter that will be. If you use the drop down menu you will be able to tell.

Another option to try:
Use the same searching options as above, but instead of looking for the folder "My Super Cool Pics" try looking for the filename of one of the pictures in the folder. So, you may have a picture in there called holidaykids.jpg. Search for holiday. Again, scan both the c: drive and the external hard drive.

ETA: Make sure you check your Recycle Bin, you may have dropped it there.

Good luck.

khm
01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, make sure you can search hidden folders. From windows explorer, pick Tools > Folder Options. > View. Checkmark "Show Hidden Files and Folders". (Though, I don't see that you could have drug them to a hidden folder.....)

Are you sure they aren't in the original location? Dumb question, but if they didn't GO anywhere, they are usually where they started. (I have had that happen, the "move" just cancels and they stay put.)

You can also put

*.jpg*

(assuming they are jpg?) in the filename field. The 3-letter extension in asterisks like that will search for ALL of that filetype. Search the entire C: drive.

I'd also limit the timeframe and search for "items changed within the last month" or whatever.

Use the Advanced Search option if you are using the Simple, or you won't be able to see these options.

In the future, I always copy vs. dragging dropping. :) I wanna say you can turn off drag and drop, but I can't recall how. Google, I guess. ;)

Just methodically look. The biggest computer related losses I've suffered are due to freaking out and getting stabby instead of taking my time and researching what to do.

Refrain from rebooting until you find them.

gatorsmom
01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
I just wanted to thank you all for helping. I was really upset there for awhile.

I thought I'd let you know how it turned out since I never would have known to search this way (and I didn't have an opportunity to read all your posts).

I called my husband who is pretty good with computers and offered him anything he wanted if he could find this for me. Ha! my workaholic husband actually came home from work early to find it. (insert eyeroll smily).

So, he pulled up Windows Explorer and clicked on the search options, just like I did. But, instead of searching for all files and folders he chose the option to search for pictures, music and videos. Then, instead of typing in the complete file name like I did, he simply typed in the letter e* to search for pictures with the word Ebert in them. And they all came up. The weird thing was that they came up in the DriveIcons folder under the C: drive. When I searched, I did search the C: drive 4 times with the exact name of the folder. Nothing. I'm just glad he knew about using the * trick or I'd be up scanning all night.

Whew. such a relief. thanks again for your advice.

MamaKath
01-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Glad you found them!!! How much do you owe dh? ;)

DrSally
01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Glad you found them!!

Melaine
01-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Yay! Happy your DH is a computer genius.