PDA

View Full Version : GoGo Kidz OR Advice for air travel alone with 8 mo. old & car seat

peachey
01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Any one use this to bring the car seat through an airport? I'm traveling alone and will need to bring the car seat with my 8 mo. old and am trying to figure out how to juggle everything. Help Please!

citymama
01-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Any one use this to bring the car seat through an airport? I'm traveling alone and will need to bring the car seat with my 8 mo. old and am trying to figure out how to juggle everything. Help Please!

Yes, we've used the GoGo Kidz and love it. The hard part is installing the car seat with a wriggly baby on hand - maybe the flight crew will help you? (I'm assuming you have a separate seat for the baby). Or how about a SnugRider/Snap N Go type thing where the car seat is snapped into the stroller frame, you get check the frame and install the seat on the plane? (Baby needs to be out of it, of course).

WatchingThemGrow
01-05-2009, 07:00 PM
If you don't have a layover or a seat for the baby, I'd personally check the seat in a bag and wear the baby in a carrier. Use a backpack as your diaper bag. Practice pottying while wearing the baby.

peachey
01-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I have thought about getting the Kelty Kids Transit Carrier which is a backpack and kid carrier in one and then carrying the car seat. It looks pretty cool but $$$. I have purchased a seat for my son who is a whooping 21 pounds and a wriggly little sucker. I've flowen twice with him and vowed to get him his own seat the next time for my sanity and the rest of the planes passengers :)

WatchingThemGrow
01-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Do you need a stroller at your destination?

MamaKath
01-05-2009, 10:22 PM

What carseat are you using? Is it a bucket or a convertible? Also what will you need at your destination as a stroller?

I have done a sling, stroller, and convertible carseat. Baby gets worn in sling, convertible on stroller seat along with whatever other gear is being carried on. Gate check stroller, install carseat into airplane and take off the sling. Easy no, doable yes.

peachey
01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
We have the Britax Blvd. car seat and a stroller at the final destination is optional (my parents can rent one, I'll go buy a cheapy BRU umbrella one or if I have a carrier I'll just use that).

I'm thinking the best route will be baby in carrier and carrying the carseat. I'm such a nervous flier anyways this is totally stressing me out. AUGH!

Thanks or the responses!

hlphillips2
01-06-2009, 11:06 PM
I adore my gogo kidz. I've traveled alone with DD numerous times thanks to it. I agree, figuring out what to do with a baby while installing it is a challenge, but most flight attendants are nice or chat up a sweet old lady at the gate. It doesn't take too long to install, especially once you get the hang of it. If you won't travel much with your child, not worth buying. If you will travel even two to three times a year it will pay for itself in making your life easier. Carrying a carseat while wearing a baby seems like a nightmare to me.

dewfish
01-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I love my GoGo Kidz. I traveled alone with my 18 month old and her Britax Boulevard, and I wouldn't be without it. For the trip through the airport, I strapped her in the seat, hung my JuJu BeRightBack on the seat handle with the stroller clips (fits perfectly), and carried a JuJu BePrepared on my shoulder. I wore my baby on the plane so I could have hands free for car seat installation. Everything went very smoothly for me. As you know, the Boulevard is very heavy. I wouldn't want to carry it through the airport. Good luck!

wrenb
01-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Is there something special about the Go Go Kidz that makes it better than a basic folding luggage cart? I've seen them in the airports a lot this winter and thought they were a good idea, but I'm balking at paying $80 for a luggage cart.

dewfish
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
It attaches directly to your carseat, and your child can roll in the seat like a stroller. You can leave it on the seat for installation on the plane, but you have to take it off to install it in the car.

peachey
01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
It attaches directly to your carseat, and your child can roll in the seat like a stroller. You can leave it on the seat for installation on the plane, but you have to take it off to install it in the car.

Thanks Dewfish! I think we're going to go with the Gogo Kidz. Did you install the seat rear or forward facing with gogo kidz attached? and you had to take the wheels off right? did you use a seatbelt extender? we'll be on southwest so i'm not sure how great of an experience it will be but in the past i usually found their flight staff to be much friendlier than other airlines.