PDA

View Full Version : Favorite high chair?

KarenLud
01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm just researching which high chair to register for and at the moment I'm looking at either the Chicco or the Fisher Price Rainforest. I'm not a fan of the way the FP looks but it gets good reviews..thoughts on these 2 or other suggestions? TIA :wavey:

tmphilo
01-06-2009, 08:28 PM
We have the Fisher Price Rainforest highchair and really like it. It's nice that it folds small, easy to get DD into and out of, dishwasher safe tray and toys to entertain her while we're eating. The rainforest toy will store on the back of the chair (kind of a hook type thing) but then the chair takes up more room. Hope that helps!

KarenLud
01-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the review!

srhs
01-18-2009, 12:29 AM
We have the Rainforest just because I got it for 60% off and couldn't beat that even though the Chicco would've matched our other stuff.

We also have the FP Space Saver at the grandparents.

I don't love the look either, but so far so good on frequent use. DS does like the toy. I have read complaints that the Chicco tray doesn't fit in many dishwashers. The FP tray has a tray insert that pops off and fits in nicely, which is good when you let DC self-feed a whole mess of a meal.
As far as "issues," the wheel locks click down with the tiniest of pressure, and I inevitably hit them walking in the kitchen. So, it seems I am always unlocking them to roll it around when I never intentionally locked them in the first place.
Also, the distance between the tray and DS seems too scrunched, like the tray is in his armpits...which is a tough thing when you are learning to self-feed. We don't have this issue in the Space Saver.

I will say FP's customer service has been excellent! I made DH call them when he was assembling and they were able to tell him exactly where he went wrong and what to do to correct a problem he was having.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-18-2009, 12:56 AM
We've had 2 highchairs. Neither is the one you've asked about. We had an old family one that was great but wooden and difficult to clean. That went back to my brother when his dd was born. We currently have a graco highchair that my stepsister gave us. Her son is 5 so that tells you something. BUT! what I love about it is that I can take the chair into the backyard or shower and HOSE IT OFF!!! When the situation calls for it.

When considering a high chair I'd say definatly consider ease of cleaning.

hillview
01-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I'd get a tripp trapp and skip the other ones. I JUST got one for my 3 year old and 1 year old UGG.
/hillary

vludmilla
01-18-2009, 10:44 AM
I'd get a tripp trapp and skip the other ones. I JUST got one for my 3 year old and 1 year old UGG.
/hillary

We've loved our TT too and never needed another high chair.

amandabea
01-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I'd get a tripp trapp and skip the other ones.
/hillary

Same here - skip the others. They don't last as long, they take up more space and are harder to clean.

mariza
01-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I've gone through several, but can't speak about the 2 you are looking into. Here's my synopsis:
Eddie Bauer Wooden high chair:
Pros:Good looking, sturdy, easy to clean
Cons: Doesn't recline (good feature for when baby learns to hold own bottle) harness is bad and my average size DD was able to get out of the harness, stand up and climb out.

Fisher Price Healthy Care booster:
Pros: easy to clean, good for transport
Con's: kind of small for bigger babies, not comfy for my kids for every day use

Fisher Price Space Saver:
Pros: Reclines, easy to clean, good harness, height adjustable, doesn't take up extra space, price
Con's: My son was able to move the chair across the room by leaning forward and throwing himself back. This caused the chair ot move across the floor and drove me nuts. Honestly, I think he would have been able to do this is a standard highchair as well. It made me buy the chair below.

Right Start Euro Chair: I love this chair, but my kids don't really seem to. I got it for my son because I thought he would be ready to eat at the table with the use of the baby bar and no tray. I was wrong. I should have bought this:

http://www.keekaroo.com/herihich.html
It has the features of the TT that everyone raves about, but is more affordable and you can usually find a deal with a free wooden tray or some other coupon.
Good luck deciding!

hellokitty
01-18-2009, 02:45 PM
I have an older model of the the FP Healthy Care HC, but I love it. It was one of the only baby gear items I held onto after I decided to sell off a bunch of other stuff (of course now I am pg again), b/c I knew I could use it again if ppl brought their babies over. I think that the newer FP chairs are probably similar in use to the Healthy Care HC from what I can tell. If I had to do it over again though, instead of a full sized HC, I'd get the FP Healthy Care HC that you can just attach to a chair so it doesn't take up too much room.

KarenLud
01-18-2009, 03:42 PM
We've had 2 highchairs. Neither is the one you've asked about. We had an old family one that was great but wooden and difficult to clean. That went back to my brother when his dd was born. We currently have a graco highchair that my stepsister gave us. Her son is 5 so that tells you something. BUT! what I love about it is that I can take the chair into the backyard or shower and HOSE IT OFF!!! When the situation calls for it.

When considering a high chair I'd say definatly consider ease of cleaning.

Do you know which Graco high chair? There seem to be several models and I'm confused!

KarenLud
01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
I have an older model of the the FP Healthy Care HC, but I love it. It was one of the only baby gear items I held onto after I decided to sell off a bunch of other stuff (of course now I am pg again), b/c I knew I could use it again if ppl brought their babies over. I think that the newer FP chairs are probably similar in use to the Healthy Care HC from what I can tell. If I had to do it over again though, instead of a full sized HC, I'd get the FP Healthy Care HC that you can just attach to a chair so it doesn't take up too much room.

We were looking at the ones that just sit on or attach to chairs as well (for space reasons) but our kitchen chairs have padding on them so not sure how stable it would be? Thanks for your review!

KarenLud
01-18-2009, 03:51 PM
I've gone through several, but can't speak about the 2 you are looking into. Here's my synopsis:
Eddie Bauer Wooden high chair:
Pros:Good looking, sturdy, easy to clean
Cons: Doesn't recline (good feature for when baby learns to hold own bottle) harness is bad and my average size DD was able to get out of the harness, stand up and climb out.

Fisher Price Healthy Care booster:
Pros: easy to clean, good for transport
Con's: kind of small for bigger babies, not comfy for my kids for every day use

Fisher Price Space Saver:
Pros: Reclines, easy to clean, good harness, height adjustable, doesn't take up extra space, price
Con's: My son was able to move the chair across the room by leaning forward and throwing himself back. This caused the chair ot move across the floor and drove me nuts. Honestly, I think he would have been able to do this is a standard highchair as well. It made me buy the chair below.

Right Start Euro Chair: I love this chair, but my kids don't really seem to. I got it for my son because I thought he would be ready to eat at the table with the use of the baby bar and no tray. I was wrong. I should have bought this:

http://www.keekaroo.com/herihich.html
It has the features of the TT that everyone raves about, but is more affordable and you can usually find a deal with a free wooden tray or some other coupon.
Good luck deciding!

Thanks for your reviews :wavey: DH would never agree to a TT because of the price but I might be able to talk him into the one you linked to.

hillview
01-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your reviews :wavey: DH would never agree to a TT because of the price but I might be able to talk him into the one you linked to.

So I do get the price issue. You can find them on craig's list -- might be an option. Also I got the HC chair for about $100. I spent $219 on the TT. So if you think you might ever get one -- suggest getting it NOW and not wasting the $100 on the HC chair.
/hillary

amldaley
01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
We tried the Graco Mealtime and disliked it immensely. YUCK. Talk about crappy vinyl seat! Yuck-o. We are now using a FP Space Saver and we really like it alot. It is compact, convenient, easy to clean etc. It attaches right to our kitchen table chair and has an adjustable height feature so we have it at table height. I bring dd in to the kitchen with me as easily as just moving the chair in to the kitchen.

Dd is only 5 1/2 mo and it seemed the TT was just too much chair for a baby, IMO. I will keep hunting for one on CL and similar sites, but we don't get that kind of quality used goods here that often! We will probably upgrade dd to a TT or a Keekaroo when she a little older or if we have another LO.

amldaley
01-18-2009, 05:45 PM

I have been comparing these,too and oogling them both for a couple months. Keep in mind, with the price difference, there is a difference between the two chairs. The TT has something like a 7 year warranty, the Keekaroo has a 1 year. And the TT has a durable, scratch resistant clear coat. Whereas, I have not been able to find any info on Keekaroo's finish, but have read reports of it getting some scratches from normal wear and tear.

Just something to keep in mind. If it is something that you plan on keeping and using for a number of years (as is the intention of such a chair), it may make a difference.

arivecchi
01-18-2009, 07:18 PM
We have this Chicco high chair and love it.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265743

It is sleek and does not look like your typical colrful baby gear but is not super pricey either. Easy to wipe off and clean. My DS loves it. You can fold it very compactly if you want to hide somewhere when not in use. I don't really have any complaints.

Swimfreak78
01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
We have the Rainforest one and like it since it's so easy to clean. You will get used to the color. We had a coupon . . so we got 15% off and no sales tax.

Melaine
01-18-2009, 08:15 PM
If you are looking at the TT and money is an issue, you might want to consider the Hipposmile chair. It's a knock-off but I've heard good things. Have not seen IRL, but it will run about $140 on ebay.

KarenLud
01-18-2009, 08:43 PM
We have this Chicco high chair and love it.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265743

It is sleek and does not look like your typical colrful baby gear but is not super pricey either. Easy to wipe off and clean. My DS loves it. You can fold it very compactly if you want to hide somewhere when not in use. I don't really have any complaints.

This was one of the chairs I was looking at initially until one of my friends turned me off. She hates it. Said there are too many places for food to get trapped; too hard to clean. But it's nice to hear a positive review for this since it's the one I originally wanted!

Staraglimmer
01-19-2009, 01:01 AM
We have the Rainforest high chair. At first I said "NO RAINFOREST STUFF!" I don't like the look at all. I like cute, and I don't mind colorful, but the rainforest just isn't me.

That being said, DD LOVES this chair! She plays with the toy all the time. At first I thought: Why would you want a toy on a highchair? Well, when your DC is too little to eat much, but can sit up, it is the ONLY way you will get to eat! DD sits in the chair while I cook. Before she even ate rice cereal, she played with the toy while we ate.

When we visited my mom, she had a plain chair, DD hated it! She kept looking around and off to the side for the toys! Now she even looks up at the monkey and the butterfly.

I am VERY happy with this highchair! It reclines, changes height, and is easy to clean!!
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/Glimmer64/hay-bugjunjuly006.jpg

Staraglimmer
01-19-2009, 01:01 AM
opps, sorry that the picture is so big!!!

zag95
01-19-2009, 01:38 AM
We have the FP rainforest HC and it works well for us- easy to clean and wipe down. My parents are using a FP booster seat (the little one that belts onto a chair) and they have been pleased with that as well- easy to clean!

Having now gotten into the self-feeding stage- easy to clean has been #1 priority!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-19-2009, 03:44 AM
Not sure which graco it is actually. She gave it too us after her son outgrew it so it's got a few years on it. It's all plastic and there's a vinyl seat under the cloth seat. The cloth seat is removable and machine washable/hang dry. I can vacuum it when i need too,clean it with my spray lysol,or like I said previously-stick it in the shower/hose it down.

Don't worry too much about it. Just select what meets your needs. And if you're worried about the space saver ones that sit on your chair just take the pad off the chair but I'd be extra sure to measure the daylights out of your chair first to make sure it's a really good fit.

It's really all about each familys needs. some folks need a space saver model, some don't. Some moms worry more about germs than others, some want a recline feature and to others they could care less. Just get what you need. I'm sure it will work out just fine.

vonfirmath
01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
We have the Fisher Price Space Saver seat and LOVE it -- the chair pad covering even comes off to go in the washer to clean (We just did that this weekend for the first time in 11 months of using it)

I didn't know it was height adjustable though! I'll have to check that.

Food does get stuck under the cover. But its amazingly easy to clean. We have ours on a folding chair without problem.

KarenLud
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
opps, sorry that the picture is so big!!!

what a cute picture!! Thanks for posting it!

KarenLud
01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Not sure which graco it is actually. She gave it too us after her son outgrew it so it's got a few years on it. It's all plastic and there's a vinyl seat under the cloth seat. The cloth seat is removable and machine washable/hang dry. I can vacuum it when i need too,clean it with my spray lysol,or like I said previously-stick it in the shower/hose it down.

Don't worry too much about it. Just select what meets your needs. And if you're worried about the space saver ones that sit on your chair just take the pad off the chair but I'd be extra sure to measure the daylights out of your chair first to make sure it's a really good fit.

It's really all about each familys needs. some folks need a space saver model, some don't. Some moms worry more about germs than others, some want a recline feature and to others they could care less. Just get what you need. I'm sure it will work out just fine.

Thanks for easing my anxiety about this! I do need to think about what our needs are for the high chair, so far for me it's how easy is it to clean?? Function! I *think* we are going with the FP one the new Precious Planet one. We are going to register today so DH will get a chance to give some input too.

Unfortunately, our cushions on our seat aren't removable :( So I still don't know how the space saver would work.

Thanks again :wavey:

mikeys_mom
01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks for easing my anxiety about this! I do need to think about what our needs are for the high chair, so far for me it's how easy is it to clean?? Function! I *think* we are going with the FP one the new Precious Planet one. We are going to register today so DH will get a chance to give some input too.

Unfortunately, our cushions on our seat aren't removable :( So I still don't know how the space saver would work.

Thanks again :wavey:

Are you concerned that the FP Space Saver won't fit on the cushions, or that it will get them dirty? My parents have the Space Saver at their house and their kitchen chairs have quite a small seat base with cushions that are not removable. My mother just puts a thin dishtowel under the highchair to prevent ruining the cushions and it fits just fine.

We have the FP Healthy Care highchair and I love it because it is so easy to clean. Many of our friends have the Peg, which does look much nicer, but has so many nooks and crannies in it that it is impossible to clean without really hosing it down outside regularly.

KarenLud
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Are you concerned that the FP Space Saver won't fit on the cushions, or that it will get them dirty? My parents have the Space Saver at their house and their kitchen chairs have quite a small seat base with cushions that are not removable. My mother just puts a thin dishtowel under the highchair to prevent ruining the cushions and it fits just fine.

We have the FP Healthy Care highchair and I love it because it is so easy to clean. Many of our friends have the Peg, which does look much nicer, but has so many nooks and crannies in it that it is impossible to clean without really hosing it down outside regularly.

Nope, not really worried about getting the cushions dirty but rather the chair fitting securely. Thanks for your feedback!

The Review Mommy
01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
This was one of the chairs I was looking at initially until one of my friends turned me off. She hates it. Said there are too many places for food to get trapped; too hard to clean. But it's nice to hear a positive review for this since it's the one I originally wanted!

Well, baby high chairs are all like that to be honest.

FYI-We have used the Chicco (first owned then gave to my Mom), Peg Perego (MIL down the street), and the FP Rainforest (Mom bought for the other twin off craigslist), and 2 space savers (we bought when we had twins) and they are ALL THE SAME!!! PITA to clean! I want another TT!!!!!!!!!!!:( I agree with the PP skip the highchair!

The TT actually "fits" your growing child through the stages. I have a 5 year old nephew who uses DD1 TT when he comes over PERFECT for him as it is for all my children and visitors and even ME! And so easy to wipe clean. No pads for food to get around. Most of us wish we just got a TT to begin with and plenty of us still want/need one. Best to just get it first as most kids whant nothing to do with sitting in a highchair in toddlerhood. I have a DS who will NOT sit and eat in his to save his life. He started around 1 years old so 6 months of highchair use wasnt worth it to me. Maybe if I had bought the cheap FP portable highchair/booster seat I wouldnt have been so bumed. I have a nephew a couple months older then DS and he doesnt have a problem with siting in a highchair and he's 20 months old but I think he is the exeption. Most 2 year old kids dont want to sit in a highchair and IMO are just kinda too "old" or big for it. Craigslist may have some TT. I'm looking right now. I have twins so I need two. Cant spend the $$$ on two new ones. ;)

clc053103
01-19-2009, 08:27 PM
I have owed or used for my one DS the following:
Peg Perego, Baby Trend, FP Healthy Care, FP Easy Clean, and a tripp trapp.

I love the tripp trapp- but I do not think I would have liked it when DS was an infant (and yes, we did use it for him as an infant, he was seriously large and the dr ordered cereal feeding when he was about 2 mo old).

Of the rest, I have to say - and I realize I am going against many opinions here, but as you see from the list, I've used 5 different high chairs regularly on the same child- I wouldn't get a FP high chair ever again. totally flimsy compared to the PP and Baby Trend. My son kicked the tray off of the Easy Clean- I can tell you on a PP, that tray isn't moving, ever!!! The frame was thin and flimsy, it was difficult to adjust, and both were god awful ugly. And the Easy Clean was NOT easy to clean! No easier than a PP. I would recc the PP or Baby Trend (or chicco which I've seen is remarkably similar).

arivecchi
01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I have owed or used for my one DS the following:
Peg Perego, Baby Trend, FP Healthy Care, FP Easy Clean, and a tripp trapp.

I love the tripp trapp- but I do not think I would have liked it when DS was an infant (and yes, we did use it for him as an infant, he was seriously large and the dr ordered cereal feeding when he was about 2 mo old).

Of the rest, I have to say - and I realize I am going against many opinions here, but as you see from the list, I've used 5 different high chairs regularly on the same child- I wouldn't get a FP high chair ever again. totally flimsy compared to the PP and Baby Trend. My son kicked the tray off of the Easy Clean- I can tell you on a PP, that tray isn't moving, ever!!! The frame was thin and flimsy, it was difficult to adjust, and both were god awful ugly. And the Easy Clean was NOT easy to clean! No easier than a PP. I would recc the PP or Baby Trend (or chicco which I've seen is remarkably similar).

I would agree with this poster. The TT seems a bit too harsh for an infant. My son is 25 months old and still loves our Chicco Polly Sahara. My MIL had the FP space saver and he does not like it because he is not as high up. Also agree that there is no high chair out there that cleans in 2 seconds. We always wipe ours clean right after he eats and maintain it very clean that way. Just go with your gut and taste. I'm sure you will make the decision that is right for you and your baby!

WatchingThemGrow
01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't have either of the ones you mentioned, but I do have PP Prima Diner in Oatmeal (very plain) and a few Kinderzeats. I really do like the PP for the first 20 months or so. Seems like they're always eating, so having wheels, a great easy tray, a nice recline, etc. make it very nice to use. I'm actually putting DS in the Stokke chair sometimes, but in the PP when I don't feel like cleaning up the floor that much.

julymommy
01-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I really wanted to get the tripp trapp, but felt it was too expensive. So we got the Chicco Polly. I hated it! I could never get it adjusted right, there were so many areas that got dirty, and I didn't like how it looked. I also found the clip to hold DS in got stuck a lot. I was worried if he started choking I'd never get him out in time. After cursing it for a month I cleaned it up, sold it and ordered the tripp trapp. It came yesterday and I love it. DS almost 7 months old and does fine in it.

When I called my parents and told them, they reminded me that they had a tripp trapp for my brother when we were all growing up. They said it just broke a month ago (they had been using it as a regular chair for awhile). It was 26 years old.

bunyvet
01-21-2009, 09:58 PM
We had the FP Aquarium full size high chair and there are a lot of things i did not like about it. My mom and my MIL had the Space Saver version- LOVED IT!! Easy to clean, easy to take with you, converts to booster, has a good harness, tilts for little ones. I agree it is not as high up but that works out find because then DS can push in under the table and reach it easier now that he is a bit older and does not need the tray. We are always taking my mom's with us wherever we go and can't wait to sell our FP monstrosity that takes up so much space!
Andrea

hillview
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
We have 2 of the FP full size aquarium chairs.

Pros:
doesn't tip
adjustable height
on wheels

Cons:
hard to clean (gross)
BOTH DSs could remove the tray with feet by 15 months (no tray after that -- just use dining table)
Is HUGE
Sick of looking at it (after 3 years)
The toys we not a hit with either child (so not worth the extra cash)

HTH
/hillary

The Review Mommy
01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I just had to chime in again about the Fisher Price highchairs/boosters...

As I said before in my earlier post we have the FP Rainforest highchair and (2) FP Space Savers that have really taken a beating from our messy, wild, crazy twins. They are 17 months so they are passed the infant, first solids stage and heavily into the feeding themselfs with utencils and such stage. Probely the messiest of all right? And Yes, they are CRAZY about the clip on rainforest toy its alot of fun for them. No arguments there but I cant understand why FP highchairs are so recomended. Others are right in that the TRAY does come off. Its hands down the worst out of the 5 we have tried. Very cheap, fragile, a toddler IS going to get it off. The Space Saver is a tiny bit better BUT putting the tray on and off is silly. They both from day one are very easily "flexed". Not stable in the least. It rocks back, forth, side to side...while putting on the tray the front button is usless so I just use the side handles to set the tray on. There are many spots to set it at but they slide way too easy so its always hard to get one side lined up with the other while baby is banging on the tray etc. I will say that the Space Saver is the hardest to clean of the two, or 5 off the ones I've tried. If you think about it its sitting on your dining room chair. crumbs and food are going to get on the dinning chair seat and also around the space saver. I always have to lift it up off the dinning chair to get the food out from under it. Also the sides of the Space Saver (take a look at it in store) has tons of places for food to go. The FP Portable Booster is a single piece of plastic so it can be wiped down easier. And with the highchairs the food just falls to the floor. It also doesnt have any padding like the space saver. They are not needed IME because it just gets food underneath the padding. The backs of highchair pads are NOT like the front so you have to do more then just "wipe" it and it stains and smells so I either wash in the machine but I took it off altogether. Also to the PP who said the Space Saver is porable. Well...I dont think it really is FP makes the portable one with a tray that folds. The SSaver does NOT. Its bulky to say the least. Its does have handles to hold it but we have a Toyota Sienna and I find it too bulky to take anywhere. It doesnt fit at all near the side sliding doors even witht he seats pushed all the way back. I have to try and fit it in the back along with my double stroller, groceries, whatever. Its sort of a bit too heavy to carry plus a baby, diaper bag etc. The foldable one is MUCH lighter.
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster-Seat/dp/B000WUF4LS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1232660300&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster-Seat/dp/B0000DEW8N/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1232660300&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster-Seat/dp/B000WU3DVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1232660300&sr=1-2

The Peg Perego-That tray isnt going anywhere! Also it does fit bigger childern where as the FP are much smaller and kids will grow out of them sooner. I dont think its harder to clean then the FP highchair. They are about the same and it looks "nicer" but more $$$. My advice is to buy used. They are durable and LAST. Buy a nice bib though because the tray is higher and bigger so you'll get food on the lap etc.

I fed my twins in their bouncers, and Bumbos more then I did in their Space Savers in my house when they were young. I wish I wouldn't have bought/used all those highchairs and just ordered the the TT as soon as they started sitting up.
http://stokkeusa.com/tripptrapphome.htm

vonfirmath
01-23-2009, 10:28 AM
My baby is 17 months, and I just for the first time took the Space Saver off the chair and did a real deep cleaning.

Maybe my baby is cleaner than most? But I didn't find a lot of food stuck in the sides or anything. If you clean up the seat after every meal, and occasionally go underneath the pad and clean out the food there, you're good.

daniele_ut
01-23-2009, 05:35 PM
We have both a Baby Trend High Chair and a Fisher Price Rainforest High Chair. We've liked them both for different reasons, but I am choosing to keep the FP chair now that we only need one.

I will admit that there are some things that I like better about the Baby Trend. Overall it is more sturdy and better constructed. It has a very neutral look to it, which is nice. The wheels also roll very easily across both tile and hardwood. It has weathered the 4 years that we've owned it really well. One big problem is that my baby totally swims in it. I make petite babies and this chair is designed for a big kid. I had to fold up a bath towel and put it under the seat pad to boost her up high enough to see over the tray. My 4 year old would still fit in it with the tray attached. Speaking of the tray, it is almost impossible, even after 4 years of use, to remove it with one hand. I don't usually have to do so, since we usually just put baby in and out with the tray attached, but it's still a PITB when I have to get the tray off. The other big issue for me is the cloth seat pad. We are just getting into the messy self feeding stage and I am sick of washing the dang thing.

I paid nearly $100 for the Baby Trend Chair 4 years ago but only paid $40 for the FP Chair a few months ago from kohls.com. We were in the process of remodeling a house we were about to move into and I needed a HC in both places. For the price, I am totally satisfied with it. The padding is easy to keep clean and the tray actually comes off with one hand. They've changed the design of the tray so that a baby can't kick it off with his foot now. It definitely isn't as solid as the Baby Trend chair, but I don't expect dd to be doing backflips off of it anyway. The big bonus is that dd actually fits in it. I may be cursing myself in a year if she has a big growth spurt, but by then I expect we'll just be using the FP Healthy Care Booster that we also have in storage from DS.