PDA

View Full Version : I think my DD has ringworm...

Glizmo
01-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but wasn't sure where else it fit! My DD has what looks to be ringworm, on her buttcheek of all places. My DH had it several times as a wrestler in high school, so we're pretty sure that's what it is, but aren't sure of the treatment for baby skin. Any tips? We do have a dr. appt already scheduled for Fri, so we could ask then, but in the meantime we don't want it to spread...

Thanks for any advice!! :)

shawnandangel
01-06-2009, 10:44 AM
When I had ringworm on my arm the doctor told me to keep the ringworm as exposed as possible. Not to put bandages on it, that it needed to breathe. Maybe if you let her go without her diaper and give her as much tummy time as you can. I would then just put in a phone call to the ped to see what cream, if any, you can put on it to help dry it out.

Do you have any pets? It was determined this is where I got my ringworm. If so your pets should be checked out and treated. She may have gotten it from them.

If she is in daycare it is also possible she got it there from something. I would contact the daycare and let them know so they can bleach their toys, clean bedding ect. When I was in elementary school one girl in our class had ringworm and half the class ended up with it.

You may read somewhere that bleach kills ringworm. Yes it does but do not put bleach on your baby's bottom. I did this with my ringworm and it was close to childbirth pain. I should have just waited it out. . .bad bad idea! :)

edit: Alternatively she may just have a yeast infection or severe diaper rash.

julymommy
01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
DS got ringworm last week from my FIL's dog (don't get me started). His pedi suggested getting Lamisol and Cortizon 10 and mixing the two and applying it to the area. She suggested 4X/day for 4 days and then 2X/day until it is gone. DS's is almost gone.

Glizmo
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
We're not sure at all how she got it! We don't have any pets and she's not in daycare. She had a mild diaper rash but no where near the area of this spot and it looked totally different (this spot is up almost by her hip, round and dry). I think naked baby time is a good idea, she loves that anyway! Thanks for the tip!

Glizmo
01-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I'll pick up some Lamisol and Cortizon 10 on my way home from work today... sounds like that + no diaper should do the trick! Thanks for the quick replies!

srhs
01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
I think my DS had a spot on his belly this summer after using a borrowed stroller, even though I cleaned the straps with soap/water.
I did call pedi.
We ended up putting a cream antifungal (like Lamisil but not that one specifically) on it a few times a day and it cleared easily.

lorinick
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Lamsil works great. We had ringworm around here for about ten months. The skin is easy to clear up unless your pregant. It kept coming back in the same places on me. They think I had such a problem because I was preg. Our ds had it in his scalp that took about nine months to get ride of. Very hard to get ride of it in the hair. Ds lost hair in areas for months. Dermo appt. for months special shampoo. It was bad. Think he got it from playing baseball and helmet sharing. Did have a 14 year old indoor only cat. She was the one carrying the ringworn.