PDA

View Full Version : How old would your DC have to be before you would take them on a flight?

elektra
01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I posted about this awhile back but I am now waffling. We have a two-week family vacation planned for June 21 to Kauai. My due date is May 11th. So the baby would be about 5-6 weeks old when we left for the trip, and DD would be 2.
Right now my plan is to still try to go and just buy insurance on the plane tickets in case we have to cancel at the last minute if I need a C-section and am still recovering or just don't feel that I or the baby are up to it.

But I am crazy for even considering going with a 5-week old??? I am usually overly cautious but for some reason I really want to try to make this work.

jbowman
01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
My younger sister got married in October, and we flew to the wedding; at the time, our DS was only 8 weeks old. It was so easy that I scheduled another flight a few weeks later to visit my best friend. IMO this is the easiest time to travel--take advantage of it! :) I regret not flying more when my two DDs were at that age!

newbiemom
01-06-2009, 02:28 PM
When asked, I think my ped had recommended 6 weeks minimum, but if we had to fly younger, then to just do it.

egoldber
01-06-2009, 02:43 PM
That is the easiest time to fly with them IMO. They need nothing except diapers and food.

wolverine2
01-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I would totally do it.

I thought about this same thing last year- wanted to meet some friends in Mexico- DS2 was a week late and so would have been 6 weeks old. It ended up being financially impossible anyway, and so I didn't go, but my concerns were more about health/Mexico than flying.

I did take DS1 on a flight to Australia at 9 weeks. SO easy. (Now, your 2-year old will be another story!)

bluestarfish18
01-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Do it. We took DS to San Diego when he was only 3 weeks, then back home when he was 5 weeks. He slept the entire way. Then when we moved, I took him, by myself, on a 5 hour flight, then hung out in the Atlanta airport for 3 hours, then an hour flight.

All flights were easy peasy. Just bring enough diapers and things to occupy DC, and have fun in Kauai.

If you end up not going, I'll use your ticket for you!

WatchingThemGrow
01-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Depends on how YOU feel after delivery. We did a 2 night family trip last Dec. when DS was 5 weeks old. Everything was taken care of for me (food, hotel, etc.) so that part was all fine. I thought DS did great. Heck, we wore both DC and didn't even take a stroller.

I was a little bit concerned about taking him away from medical personnel familiar with him/his poor weight gain, our nursing issues, etc., but I felt that by 5 weeks and being that he was the 2nd child, DH and I knew enough to go. Oh, I also had my head of the ER uncle, his ER NP wife, and my NP cardiologist cousin there for my "standby" medical opinions if needed.

HOWEVER...we remember that trip SO VIVIDLY because DD (18 mos) did NOT adjust well to having DS up and cry a little bit, nursing, etc. in our shared room. She could see and hear him/us and she would NOT go to sleep. Instead, she screamed for most of the night while we tried to care for DS. The previous night, we'd farmed her out to stay with my dad and SM, but because of the time change/weird noises, our usually peaceful sleeper woke them up at 4 am - for the day. They gave her back for the second (lovely) evening.

Not to scare you...just sharing.

Kauai is oh-so-gorgeous. Is it possible to reschedule are you meeting others?

BTW, we have our annual extended family gathering at the beach 5 days after DC3 is due. I think we'll miss out on that one unless the baby comes early. MIL said they might offer to take DD (will be 3) with them for part of the trip, and I just may let her go if they're serious. Then we'd only have DS (will be 18 mos) home with the newborn for a few days.

Back to your question...what are you waffling about specifically - the flight or the stay or your recovery?

tarynsmum
01-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I voted 4-6 weeks, but now I'm thinking more towards the "no limit" - but I think it depends more on how YOU feel - have you fully recovered from the delivery, are YOU up to the packing and running around etc etc (or will DH/someone else be able to help you)?

I was totally planning on a flight with myself and Kidlet, who would be 6-8 weeks at the time I would be flying (mid May), but the conference I was going to be attending got bumped up to the end of March (my official due date is the 4th) and DH completely vetoed it. :shrug: I still don't think it's a terrible idea, but oh well.

HOWEVER, after I was born, my parents moved from Florida to Pittsburgh. My dad drove the moving van and my mom flew with me - I was 4.5 weeks old. My mom said it was the easiest trip she ever took, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

n2ou
01-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Short or long flight - US or international?

I voted 4-6 weeks but would consider earlier if it is a quick flight without much airport time.

I waited until my children were around 10 weeks until I flew USA-Germany.

elektra
01-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah! You guys are making me feel better now because I really want to go. I think my main concern is the baby getting sick from all the germ exposure. I mean, with DD I waited 4 weeks to even leave the house except for dr. appts! But I would probably just wear DH in my moby or ergo which I would think cut down on the germs.
My secondary concern is how I would feel myself, especially if I need a c-section. But I am thinking that I could either care for the baby at home or I could lay as well as care for the baby in beautiful Kauai!
Once there, I will have extra help from my aunt, dad and of course DH, although I think DH will have his hands full with DD. We should also have a 2 bedroom condo for just DH, me and our 2 kids. So DD would have her own room and baby would be with us, plus the living room where one of us could either snooze or soothe baby. Ideal, right?
And 5 weeks does give me enough time to get into a good groove with breastfeeding. It took about 2 weeks with DD to get over some pain with BF but after that I luckily had no problems BF her, so hopefully it works out similarly with DS.
OK my mind is made up now. No waffling! Trip is on (but still with insurance on those tix. ;)) !
Great way to ring in my 1000th post too. :)

BillK
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Zach was 3 days old when we flew back home to Pittsburgh - from Los Angeles - where he was born - about 4.5 hours. He did fine.

Ben was 9 months old when I flew home from Seoul, S. Korea with him - 15.5 hours and he was fine.

I think from a behavior perspective - the younger the better for flying - from a getting sick perspective - obviously the older the better.

hillview
01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I'd plan to do it.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I flew w/ ds1 at 7 weeks. Easy as can be.

Beth

srhs
01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I would like to vote:
"at least 3 months unless it is to KAUAI!!!"
I think I remember you saying you can count on your family to be a lot of help too. What a great time for your DD while you are preoccupied with the new baby!

MommyAllison
01-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I'd go! I think the time of year is in your favor since June is a lot lower risk to get sick vs January. Have fun!!

Momof3Labs
01-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd do it, but don't plan on insurance paying if you cancel for just any reason. It depends on your trip insurance policy, but most will not pay if you cancel because you changed your mind. As long as it is something you can get a dr's note for, you're probably fine.

amandabea
01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
As long as you feel up to then go! I would.

Piglet
01-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I flew to Israel when DS2 was 4 weeks old and flew back when he was 8 weeks old. Honestly, flying there was the best trip ever. He slept the WHOLE time and I slept a lot too. I figured I would be sleep deprived anyway so the time difference wouldn't even matter. I was right - a zombie is a zombie, LOL! That having been said, the trip wasn't quite planned at that age - he was 2 weeks overdue. Not that 6 weeks would have been such a difference vs. 4, but I thought I was crazy going with a 6 week old and then he was late...

jyllebean
01-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I flew with dd when she was 5 wks old, NYC to LA and it went fine, really easy actually. I'd do it again.

Octobermommy
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I would not hesitate to fly with a newborn. We might have had to fly with a 1 week old if we would have adopted from out of state. No worries and have fun!

JTsMom
01-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't think I'd set a hard and fast limit on age, it would depend on how important the trip was to me. How long is the flight?

tarahsolazy
01-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Both of my kids flew at around 4-6 weeks. I had to present research data at national meetings. It was a great time to fly with them, much better than when they were over a year. ugh, that's when its hard.

tylersmama
01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
We had a vacation (low-key, with friends) planned for 6 weeks after DS's due date. He was late, so he ended up being 4 1/2 weeks. It was totally easy, it was summer so I wasn't worried about exposure to germs, and it was great. I was so glad we did it. I did ok it with the ped, but since DS was healthy and it was low-risk because of the time of year, he had absolutely no problem with it!

daisymommy
01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
I voted for 3 months. Planes are some of the germy-est places you can find. All those germs and viruses just been recirculated over and over again through a small confined space. And when babies are young, their immune systems are so immature and cannot so easily fight off what comes along. I personally wouldn't chance it at the newborn age.

brittone2
01-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I flew a short flight from PA to FL with DS and DH when DS was 2 months old. He and I ended up *really* sick about 2-3 days into it (the first 2-3 days were great though ;) ). We were extremely congested, and stayed in our hotel room for most of the rest of the trip (DH was there on business so he wasn't around to help much either). It sucked because I didn't want to leave my room and had to stick my trash out in the hallway for them to take and had to request tissues and toilet paper be replaced because I didn't want to leave the room all that much.

We flew in April or so...not really peak flu season.

On the bright side, DS slept the whole flight home because he was worn out from his cold.

That said, I'd probably do it again with a little one. I might try to avoid it during peak flu season with a very new newborn, but I'd probably go in your case. The flight itself was no big deal. He nursed and chilled out for most of the flight, but it was short (under 2 hrs I think?).

DebbieJ
01-06-2009, 08:25 PM
A vacation to Hawaii? I'd totally go!

pb&j
01-06-2009, 11:09 PM
I voted for 3 months. Planes are some of the germy-est places you can find. All those germs and viruses just been recirculated over and over again through a small confined space.

Former airline pilot here...
...Actually, that's not true. The packs that provide heating, cooling, and pressurization on jet aircraft actually do use fresh air. Depending on the aircraft, the air may actually be cleaner than the air in your home/car/office. I was much healthier as an active pilot than I have been as the mom of a kid in daycare.

Melaine
01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
I voted (and apparently am alone on this) "when they pay their own way"....
I have a sort of flying phobia...I've never flown and don't want to. I will have to be medicated, so my kids will have to be old enough to fend for themselves while I am heavily drugged.

C99
01-07-2009, 12:10 AM
My parents took my brother on a family trip to St. Maarten when he was 3 weeks old (and he was born 3 weeks late!).

Aarohismom
01-07-2009, 02:18 AM
I took my dd on an international 24 hrs flight when she was 21/2 month old. She got no infection during or after the flight. Very easy age to fly imo.