PDA

View Full Version : baby monitor - two receivers necessary?

winksmile
01-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I've decided to go with the Sony Babycall, but now I need to decide if we need two receivers ($70) or if the one will suffice ($40)? We have a two story house but it's fairly small, only ~1650 square feet. Baby's nursery, home office and our bedroom are upstairs with living space & kitchen downstairs... What do you recommend for an overwhelmed first-timer? All this registry research is driving me crazy! :eek:

Thanks in advance!

alien_host
01-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't say it's necessary, but nice to have, I guess. We kept one in our bedroom/master bath (I used it until recently, she's 3.5 years when I showered to make sure all was OK and she wasn't screaming for me). The second one stayed downstairs and went outside or to the basement when needed.

It really is just more convenient. BUT I stopped using the monitor in our bedroom after a few months when I realized I could hear her anyway (we kept her door closed but ours open). I only used it upstairs when I was in the shower.
good luck!

ETA: our layout is similar to yours...bedrooms upstairs and kitchen etc down.

clc053103
01-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Totally worth $30 to have two monitors. We have one in the kitchen and one in our bedroom- and we never have to move monitors. Love the sony babycall- we don't have one at home b/c they didn't have dual monitors when we registered 4 years ago. But we have one at the beach and it's tons better than our Fisher Price 900mhz.

ahrimie
01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
I, personally, like having 2 monitors. That way you don't have to carry it around everywhere you go. Plus, it's only a $30 difference. I'd consider it just for your peace of mind :) And later, if you find you don't really use one, I'd exchange it for the other.

WatchingThemGrow
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Are you going to want to carry it down with you every morning when you're carrying the baby down?

alien_host
01-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Are you going to want to carry it down with you every morning when you're carrying the baby down?

Well technically she wouldn't need the monitor downstairs if the baby was with her ;) But you guys are right, it's more convenient to have two. And I understand what you mean, bring the monitor down in the AM and back up in the PM, PITA right? Or if it were me, I'd forget to carry it downstairs when I put the baby down for a nap and then I'd have to sneak back upstairs to get said monitor and wake the baby b/c I walked by her room (or whatever).

vonfirmath
01-06-2009, 11:00 PM
We got a monitor set with two monitors and have almost never used the second monitor.

belovedgandp
01-07-2009, 01:37 AM
I've been fine with one monitor, but I can see the advantage of two. We have a two story house. I can hear just fine when I'm upstairs where the nursery is - during the day in the office, other bedrooms. I've never used the monitor in my room at night. We sleep with the doors open.

So the one monitor we have is always plugged in on the kitchen counter. I use it outside a ton, so I unplug it for that. We have one that vibrates, so I can hear it vibrating on the counter when I'm in the basement.