PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about braces for kids?

AngelaS
01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
I've taken my oldest, who just turned 11, in for two evaluations now and my head is SPINNING!!

Both say A needs braces.

Dr. A says to put her in a Herbst appliance and bring her bottom jaw forward to line up her bite. That will take 14 months and then she'll need braces for 12 months. He wants to wait a year to start treatment, after she's lost her baby teeth. He uses the Damon method which is the fastest growing ortho method in the country and there are three doctors in our town using it.

Dr. B says that he wants to put in an appliance that shoves her top molars back to make room for the six top teeth she still needs to get for 6 months and then she'll be in braces for 8 months. He wants to start now. He does NOT want to move her jaw as he thinks she already has a very nice profile and it doesn't need messed with. This guy has lots of extra training w/TMJ care and since A's totally ground 4 of her back teeth FLAT, that appeals a bit to me. He uses the SureSmile method which is only used by about 75 orthos across the country which seems small to me.

Anybody have any experience w/these methods or other advice?? I'm considering getting a 3rd option so we can go for 'best two out of three'! LOL

brittone2
01-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I don't really have any great advice. I live in an area with a large university dental school and did orthodontics not too long ago as an adult. I did a mix of Invisalign plus traditional orthodontics (with ceramic brackets).

I was actually a little miffed because no one mentioned Damon to me as an option until I was literally sitting in the chair. My ortho asked if anyone had discussed it with me before and I said no. She wasn't too thrilled that no one had mentioned it to me in her office prior to that (perhaps she should have but that's another story ;) ) She really wanted me to try the Damon since it was faster and the brackets were smaller. It was tempting. They put on one bracket and I wasn't sure I could go for all metal as an adult (not that it matters that much because it isn't like you don't notice ceramic brackets, and the Damon would have been faster). I opted for the longer slower ceramic option, but for weeks afterward was kind of upset that I wasn't given more time to think it over.

Anyway, she has been around for a long time and just brought a new ortho into her office. He just received some award for excellence in research from the university dental alumni group. I consider both of them to be very up to date with what is going on in the world of orthodontics. I just got an office newsletter from my ortho today and it mentioned that she's part of a "Damon Study Club" at the university.

So while I have no personal experience w/ Damon, apparently there's a pretty big interest in this area, including at the local large university dental school.

Good luck! I'm sure it is so difficult to make a decision for your child.

KBecks
01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
there's a dental forum at mdc if that helps - good luck!

BabyMine
01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I have had braces on twice. I just got them off again a couple months ago. They did have the Damon method but I didn't choose it. It was more expensive and since I was only going to have them on for 12 months it didn't bother me to reduce it a couple months. I would get a third opinion. This is who I used for the second pair. It tells some stuff about pediatrics http://www.florida4braces.com/faq.html

pinkmomagain
01-06-2009, 11:47 PM
DD1 (12 yo) has braces right now. She had a palate expander prior, to widen her upper jaw to make room for crowded teeth. The ortho we use also waited for as long as possible. She watched and waited for adult teeth to come in. A few still need to come down further and be engaged.

I also have braces using the same ortho, but I have clear and dd has metal. Never heard of the Damon method. My only other option was invisalign.

My advice is to try to ask parents of older kids (who have already been through braces) and see who seems satisfied with an ortho in your area. Also, find someone who is conveniently located to you. Braces break and you need to get in to see them quickly sometimes and it's much more convenient if the ortho is close to you. HTH.