PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the new American Girl movie, Chrissa

Corie
01-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Boy, that is some serious topic matter! (bullying)

My 7 yr. old daughter was crying. She didn't understand how the girl could be so mean and hurtful.

Melaine
01-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Hmmm....I was wondering how it would be. I have been shocked at some of the bullying I have seen portrayed on television before, and I always wondered how realistic it was. I was homeschooled and never really experienced anything like that.

pinkmomagain
01-06-2009, 11:34 PM
I watched for about 10 min and I was very uncomfortable watching the bullying behavior. My 12 yo thought the movie was dumb, my 9 yo thought it was OK.

colleenfs
01-07-2009, 12:26 AM
See, this was my initial concern when I read about it. I have taped it, but I don't know if Julia and I will watch it or not.

AngelaS
01-07-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm curious to see it. I was bullied as a kid and wonder how accurately they portrayed it.

egoldber
01-07-2009, 08:13 AM
We have not seen the movie. We ordered it from Netflix, but it says very long wait, so I dunno when we'll get it.

But I find all the AG stuff kind of intense which is one reason I think they are better suited for older girls. Sarah was in tears at the theater at the Kit movie, but she loved it and wanted Kit for her birthday.

Also, Sarah has been bullied in K and also at her current school (though not as severely, more just "run of the mill" mean girl stuff). Yes, kids can be that awful. A friend of mine's son was bullied so badly she pulled him from school to homeschool him because the school was really not able to do anything about it.

When Sarah read the description of Chrissa in the catalog, she said to me "I like the doll mom. She talks about really important things like how to stop bullying. Bullying hurts." :(

Corie
01-07-2009, 09:04 AM
We tivoed it on HBO. Check the listings. I'm sure it will be on
again.

I was bullied all through middle school. Daily. I went home
in tears every single day. It was a nightmare. Made my life
hell.

This AG movie made ME very sad. I cried. I just don't understand
how kids can be so cruel to each other. It's horrible.

Corie
01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
I will say that there were quite a few teachable moments
during the show.

My daughter kept saying, Why doesn't she just tell her mom
what the mean girl is doing?

And I said, YES!! On that very first day of school, Chrissa
should have run home and told her mom what happened!

So, we did have some nice discussions as we were watching
the movie.

egoldber
01-07-2009, 09:07 AM
We don't get HBO.

colleenfs
01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
The DVD is at Target now for $15.99 with a $5 free gift card with the movie purchase. Not sure how long this deal will be in effect.

Check your DVR for the HBO schedule. It will be on again on Saturday, 1/10.

kransden
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I really liked the movie. If your child is very sensitive I would warn them before hand. The acting, while good, is rather heavy handed. The girls are just plain mean! And for no reason. Unfortunately, school is just like that. I have seen it too often when I teach. My dd and I talked about what happened a lot during the movie. I thought it had a lot of teachable moments for my 6 yr old.

The Target price is for this week only 15.99 and a 5.00 gift card w/ purchase. ~ 10.99