PDA

View Full Version : Baby Gate/Bannisters on Stairs

tinacramer
01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi everyone! I have bannisters at the bottom of my stairs on both sides. I know that there are kits to make a baby gate work with bannisters. I looked online and saw that the kit is about $35 and that since I have bannisters on both sides, I would need 2 of them. I would also actually need a third one for the top of the stairs because there is wall on one side and bannisters on the other side --- bottom line, before I spend $100 on 3 of these kits, I was wondering if anyone else on this site that has bannisters on their stairs had found a practical alternative?

clc053103
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I know that several people have posted about lashing a board to the banister with zip ties, a much cheaper alterantive. Try the baby proofing/safety board and do a search if you can't find it!

MamaKath
01-10-2009, 01:17 AM
This is what we did. Cut 2x4's to size and secured them to the banisters with zip ties then mount the gate to the boards. It's been over 3 years now and no issues.

Yup! And for the top we screwed it directly into the wall to create a flat surface. Works great!

lisams
01-10-2009, 05:04 PM
The kit we bought for the railing upstairs was basically a piece of wood, some plastic ties and some double sided sticky pads. You could totally do it yourself for much cheaper.