PDA

View Full Version : Any other DC have hard time transitioning back to school?

LarsMal
01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
DS has had a really rough week. I think having DH home for 10 days over the holidays has him going through some serious Daddy withdrawal! His schedule was completely off- too many late nights- and he has a little bit of a cold, so I'm sure that doesn't help either.

Yesterday he went to p/s an hour late. He wouldn't get out of bed b/c he wanted Daddy to get him (who was already at work). Then he said he didn't want to go to school, then he did. When he came home he took a two hour nap on the floor of my bedroom. I told him to get in my bed, but he wanted to sleep on DH's pillow, on the floor- whatever! Today I had to go pick him up early because he was having a "teary kind of day" according to the director. He even- GASP!- cried on the playground!! :)

He's already passed out on my floor again- went down without any lunch. The director said it was probably just tranisitoning back to the school routine after 2 weeks off.

Anyone else have problems this week? I'm assuming he'll be back to normal next week. He didn't have any problems starting school in the fall, so I think it's more Daddy withdrawal than anything else.

MelissaTC
01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
My DS was basically out of school from Dec. 16 through January 5. My DH's Grandfather passed away so we basically had to pack up the car and drive to NY for the wake and funeral the next day. DS did well but transitioning back to school this week has been a bit challenging. He is not only making up work missed before the holidays, he is also tryingto get back into the groove of things and it sucks.

SnuggleBuggles
01-08-2009, 01:51 PM
My 1st grader is doing great but his friends in kindergarten and younger seem to be having a rough time getting back in the swing of things.

The baby, on the other hand, is suffering from big time daddy withdrawl. Dh was off from the 16th of Dec. on b/c he had lots of vacation time to use. During that time he and ds2 became very close. I hear "da?" accompanied by pointing to another room several times a day now. :)

Beth

hillview
01-08-2009, 02:14 PM
My ds is almost exactly your DS's age. He has had a tough few days. Crying, not wating to go. He does okay once there but some sad days for sure. I am hoping it gets better next week. SIGH
/hillary

carolinamama
01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
DS1 has had trouble this week just getting back into our regular routine. He so missed Daddy on Monday and couldn't understand why he had to go back to work. And he had a meltdown this morning about going to preschool. Even told me that he was too sick to go to school. He's not sick in the least. I thought the Ferris Bueller behavior didn't start until much later...guess not. He was fine once we got into the car and he got there, but it was rough for about an hour or so before we left.

He also got spoiled having pancakes, french toast, and eggs for breakfast every morning. He's had some meltdowns over having cereal.

hellokitty
01-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Mine didn't want to go back to school on M or W (preschool), but once he got to school he was ok. Our big problem is that since school started up again, neither of my kids are napping! My older one is only an occasional napper lately anyway, but my 3 yr old usually naps well. So, *I* have been the one having a hard time adjusting to school starting again. Esp since swim class started this wk too and I have been driving all over town for all sorts of mtgs and appts, it was nice having a few wks to just do nothing...

clc053103
01-08-2009, 05:11 PM
DS is the same age as your DS- he had a terrible time the first day back, he was screaming and kicking and fighting the whole way in, which is not something that ever happens. But he was much better the today because at the first day they discussed what they were going to be doing on thursday so he had something to look forward to and expect. I think that really helped. Otherwise, he may have been screaming again to come home with me!

kijip
01-08-2009, 05:13 PM
T was out of school for over 2 weeks- 3 snow days, then a weekend, followed by two full weeks of winter break. Come Monday the 5th he was really excited to go back and see his friends. He also was eager to learn about what clubs would be offered for Winter term.