PDA

View Full Version : All-terrain strollers

Snow mom
01-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm starting to look at strollers (mainly online-- I don't get to leave the house anymore but maybe a stroller would help with that.) Right now we have a stroller frame. DD hates her carseat. Putting her in it is the quickest way to make her cry so the stroller frame isn't that popular. I'm not sure if maybe she'd like a regular stroller better and it would be worth investing in one now. Here are some features that we'd like:

-All terrain: mainly for use on bad sidewalks, gravel, and packed dirt. Not much snow in central Texas. We'd like this to be our only stroller but if buying stollers is anything like buying diaper bags, I'm sure it's just a matter of time until we have an entire closet full.
-A great sun canopy: lots of sun in central Texas.
-Good ventilation and non-sweaty material: lots of heat in central Texas.
-A good recline: DD is 5 weeks. Something that would be appropriate by 8 weeks would be great.
-A small enough fold to fit in a car trunk (Jetta to be exact): we haven't made the leap to a SUV or minivan yet.
-A brake that pushes down: this is for DH. He was appalled that some strollers have brakes that you have to push up to lock.

I think I want a BJCE and was hoping people could suggest alternatives or reinforce this choice. Also, what is the difference between the BJCE and the classic? I understand how the mini is different, but haven't seen anything on the classic.

Thanks,
Lisa

bt0510
01-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I agree that the BJCE fits your requirements exactly. I just happened to make a list of the highlighted differences between the Elite and the Classic, so here they are:

Elite has a more plush padded seat
Elite has a vented seat recline with retractable weather cover (Classic info doesn't mention vented)
Elite has a raised kicker for leg support of smaller children (also allows access to under basket)
Elite's sun canopy is said to be larger, but they both look very large
Elite has magnets that close the flaps for the window and vents in the canopy (I believe Classic uses velcro)
Elite has a buckle cover on the 5-point harness
Elite has a parent console (added to complete list, as suggested by WatchingThemGrow below)

Baby Jogger does not recommend any of their products to be used until the child can sit up and support their head on their own. I agree with this from the size of the seat. However, others on this board have mentioned that they've used the BJ strollers right away. If you get a cushioned support for the baby, that will hopefully take care of any concern.

Have you tested this stroller? We did last week. It was so effortless moving this stroller around and maneuvering it. The store owner had his 10 year old daughter get into it and we pushed her around. It was amazing. This was the 2009 model.

WatchingThemGrow
01-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Baby Jogger does not recommend any of their products to be used until the child can sit up and support their head on their own. I agree with this from the size of the seat. However, others on this board have mentioned that they've used the BJ strollers right away. If you get a cushioned support for the baby, that will hopefully take care of any concern.

BJ customer service will tell you that applies to the jogging strollers only. The City Series is intended to be used from birth and is not a jogger. They really need to fix that on their website because it is SO misleading. The Snuzzler by Kiddopotamus (can be found used for cheap) is great for making the near flat recline a little more supportive for your newborn.

Don't forget about the awesome parent console on the Elite. Very worth it. And the wheel improvements to the 09s are worth paying more for than the 08s.

AnnieW625
01-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I looked at both the BJCE, and the BJC mini and they are both nice strollers, and was very impressed with the fold on both of these. The only thing I didn't necessarily like about the strollers is that the handlebar is not reversible like the Valco Baby strollers (Lattitude, similar to the BJC Mini; the Tri Mode looks a bit bigger than the BJCE, and can handle a carry cot as well as the infant seat w/adaptor) and I'd prefer that on a stroller for a newborn. Unfortunately the Valco strollers are a tad more expensive than the BJCE.

WatchingThemGrow
01-08-2009, 10:14 PM
the Tri Mode looks a bit bigger than the BJCE, and can handle a carry cot as well as the infant seat w/adaptor) and I'd prefer that on a stroller for a newborn. Unfortunately the Valco strollers are a tad more expensive than the BJCE.

The BJCE also has the option of a carseat adapter, bassinet, soft pram or laying the baby straight into the stroller. Look at the accessory page or p14 of the 2009 catalog http://babyjogger.com/BJC2009Catalog.pdf

bt0510
01-08-2009, 10:31 PM
BJ customer service will tell you that applies to the jogging strollers only. The City Series is intended to be used from birth and is not a jogger. They really need to fix that on their website because it is SO misleading. The Snuzzler by Kiddopotamus (can be found used for cheap) is great for making the near flat recline a little more supportive for your newborn.

Hmm. That's confusing. I have a copy of the 2009 Catalog (which just came out recently) and the catalog reads: And now with the addition of our new accessory mounting bracket, it takes seconds to customize your City Series stroller for the birth of your baby and beyond. They then highlight the Car Seat Adaptor, Bassinet/Pram and Soft Pram. With one of those accessories, I would feel comfortable putting an infant in the stroller. But those accessories are pretty pricey. If customer service is providing conflicting information from a catalog that was just released, that is confusing.

This is obviously a personal preference. I don't mean to seem like I'm playing both side, since I recommended it for infant use in my first post in this thread. But I do think this is something to carefully consider and feel comfortable with the decision that you make for yourself and the safety of your child. I personally am going to get the BJCE, but we will also get another stroller for the first number of months until we feel the baby is ready to move to (and enjoy) the BJCE. Others on this forum have said they used this stroller from birth and loved it. That was their personal preference and I support their decision for themselves and their baby.

strollerqueen
01-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I looked at both the BJCE, and the BJC mini and they are both nice strollers, and was very impressed with the fold on both of these. The only thing I didn't necessarily like about the strollers is that the handlebar is not reversible like the Valco Baby strollers (Lattitude, similar to the BJC Mini; the Tri Mode looks a bit bigger than the BJCE, and can handle a carry cot as well as the infant seat w/adaptor) and I'd prefer that on a stroller for a newborn. Unfortunately the Valco strollers are a tad more expensive than the BJCE.

Those Valcos are all nice, but none of them reverse.

bubbaray
01-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Both the BJCSC and the BJCSE (as well as the MBUS) are appropriate from birth. All of those strollers have sufficient recline for a newborn. You can always add a bassinette if you really want, but its not necessary.

HTH

WatchingThemGrow
01-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Hmm. That's confusing. I have a copy of the 2009 Catalog (which just came out recently) and the catalog reads: And now with the addition of our new accessory mounting bracket, it takes seconds to customize your City Series stroller for the birth of your baby and beyond. They then highlight the Car Seat Adaptor, Bassinet/Pram and Soft Pram. With one of those accessories, I would feel comfortable putting an infant in the stroller. But those accessories are pretty pricey. If customer service is providing conflicting information from a catalog that was just released, that is confusing.

This is obviously a personal preference. I don't mean to seem like I'm playing both side, since I recommended it for infant use in my first post in this thread. But I do think this is something to carefully consider and feel comfortable with the decision that you make for yourself and the safety of your child. I personally am going to get the BJCE, but we will also get another stroller for the first number of months until we feel the baby is ready to move to (and enjoy) the BJCE. Others on this forum have said they used this stroller from birth and loved it. That was their personal preference and I support their decision for themselves and their baby.

I understand what you're saying. We used it (the double) from birth with none of those pricey accessories, and we'll do so with this baby as well. We won't go offroading with the baby in the seat/Snuzzler for a few months, but really, it is fine. We each have to decide our own comfort level, though. Oh....I personally don't feel comfortable using the carseat for the baby in the stroller b/c of plagiocephaly, which our babies naturally tend toward :(. I was glad that CS confirmed to me on the phone that it was fine to put the baby directly into the City series.

I was freaked out about trying to find hairclips to tame DD's growing hair because EVERY package said "not intended for children under 3." She was 1.5. Finally, I decided I'd take that chance and get those mangy locks out of her eyes and just be watchful of her putting them in her mouth. There are a million parenting decisions like that you just have to decide for yourself. I'm certain you'll enjoy your BJCE no matter how and when you choose to put your baby in it :)