PDA

View Full Version : STUPID Petty Snobby Facebook Bitch

amldaley
01-08-2009, 06:40 PM
First, pls let me say that I know this is a hugely petty bitch. And I feel like a b!tch for even thinking it, let alone writing it. I am tired and stressed right now by much bigger issues and for some reason, THIS is what is annoying me.

I use Facebook. I only have about 40 "friends", 1/2 of whom were from high school, 1/4 family and 1/4 current friends IRL. I use it daily but not constantly throughout the day. I don't approve requests from people I don't know personally.

I got a request from someone I didn't know but it said we had 5 friends in common and he went to my high school. I looked at his profile pic and remembered that he was a kid who was two grades above me. He was wheelchair bound. He was always outgoing, lots of school spirit, but sort of goofy...a little too eager. We were all nice to him but I am not sure any or many of us would call him "friend" (which is sad). He and I were barely acquaintances. I didn't even know him, really. But, alot of people knew me. I was in Play Production, on the school newspaper, commencement speaker, my high school sweetheart (two grades above me - same class as this guy) was pretty well known etc etc. Our highschool wasn't huge. About 100 kids per grade. So, it was conceivable.

So, I approved the request.

The same day, he chat-messaged me on FB, in all CAPS, to say Hi and to say I might not remember him, who he was etc etc. I replied that I did remember him and added a pleasantry etc.

Then he went on a weird bent - asked if I remembered so and so and I said, "No, but I am terrible with names." He asked how I remembered him and I told him I looked at his profile photo. Then he asked me if we were friends in high school (if he did not remember me, why did he send a friend invite?) I told him I dated so and so in his class. His response "You married him?!!! Wow!" (Clearly, I did not as my FB profile is under my married name and it says who DH is.) This is delicate as my high school sweetheart and I do not speak, some issues with his ex that followed me, but I am friends with his sister and his mother and mine are very close friends who even spend vacations together and I could just see this guy getting the wrong idea then blabbing it.

Anyway, the guy just would not stop with weird questions and comments, it was almost like he was drunk. So, I told him I had to go.

That night and the next day, he inundated Facebook with stupid comments, wall posts, application invites etc. One of which was that he voted me "Nicest person on Facebook". I blocked all future invites from him but he even managed to add comments to ads that appear on the right hand side of the screen. He makes comments to EVERYTHING EVERYONE posts, most of which are not pertinent, relevant or appropriate. Not gross comments, but just strange. As such, I see ALL of them.

I want to remove him as a friend, but I feel like such a stuck up snobby bitch. Then I wonder if he were not in a wheelchair, would I feel so bad about ignoring him? Then I think about the fact that, even though he is married and has a job, he must be very lonely to be spending so much time on FB and so desperate as to comment to everything. But FB is one of my few outlets with the world. I live 3000 miles from home - this is how I keep in touch with friends. I hate that my special little place has been desecrated.

I know this is soooooo petty and I am a fool for even worrying about it one way or the other. I am embarrasseed this is even in my head. I just needed to vent. If you've read this far, you probably know way too much about me by now. But thanks anyway :)

citymama
01-08-2009, 06:47 PM
You should remove him from your friends' list. He won't get notification about it. As long as he doesn't have your personal email address, he can't contact you. You can also change your settings (under privacy settings) so no one can send you a message, view your photo, or view your friends unless they're already your friend. End of story. You don't need to deal with this, esp. if it isn't someone you know well.

elektra
01-08-2009, 06:52 PM
If you've read this far, you probably know way too much about me by now. But thanks anyway :)
LOL. Only about that quote though. ;)
I might just wait it out a bit in the hopes that maybe he will chill out with all the posting. If not? Just block him. That just sounds annoying, especially about the personal chat messages.
My latest Facebook gripe is that everyone else seems to have very exciting lives compared to me!

amldaley
01-08-2009, 07:12 PM
My latest Facebook gripe is that everyone else seems to have very exciting lives compared to me!

RIGHT???!!!!!!

MamaMolly
01-09-2009, 12:43 AM
I think I'd close my eyes and unfriend him. He's a pest. End of story. How he gets from point A to point B is irrelevant. You wouldn't unfriend him just because he is in a wheelchair, so it is silly to keep him as a FB friend just because he *is* in one. KWIM? GL...:)

hellokitty
01-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Ppl like that creep me out, so I don't blame you for being annoyed. That is why I didn't bother putting down any of my schools down under my profile, b/c I don't want weirdos making friend requests who I have no desire to get back in touch with.

MontrealMum
01-09-2009, 01:31 AM
I would probably unfriend him in that situation, and then put him on my block list. Also, in the future, you can change your status down in the farthest right-hand corner of the screen (next to the notification icon) to "go offline". That will clear up any future IM-ing addicts. I had no idea you could do that until I was complaining about it and a friend enlightened me. GL - I hate these sticky sorts of situations that make you feel like you're right back in highschool again!

citymama
01-09-2009, 03:59 AM
I hate these sticky sorts of situations that make you feel like you're right back in highschool again!

Isn't that the truth? I loved FB until a) work-related contacts started to add me on, and b) pesky people from my past who I would be happy never to hear from/think about/know about again have started adding me on! Bleaah. I accepted a couple of them and now have to un-friend them. Makes me feel like the mean girl. :thumbsdown:

Snow mom
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Check how many friends he has. If he has more than 50 or so he won't miss you. Give it a week or two until the activity dies down and then remove him from your friend list. I do this when I have facebook remorse.

~Lisa

bubbaray
01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I hate these sticky sorts of situations that make you feel like you're right back in highschool again!

that is why I don't use FB.

OP, I'd unfriend him. Now. Sounds waaaay weird to me.

GL!