PDA

View Full Version : Recommend rocking horse or similar?

zag95
01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
My DD is turning 1! To celebrate DH and I are looking at a Rocking Horse- we are looking at Radio Flyers and other brands- DD is about 24.5 lbs and almost 32 inches tall at almost a year- not quite standing yet! Any recommendations on rocking horses?

TIA!

brittone2
01-08-2009, 09:03 PM
It isn't a classic rocking horse, but a lot of kids really like the Rody Ponies. They can bounce on them, they are low to the ground, and you can buy a rocking base.

kayte
01-08-2009, 11:04 PM
We have the Rody--it gets lots of attention here by DD (3) and her playmates...but you definitely need the base for a 1 year old. It might be a good way to go since it would last longer than a rocking horse that would fit your kiddo now. (you can change the size by adding more air)

infomama
01-08-2009, 11:27 PM
We have four rocking horses and one rocking snail in our home and none have gotten more ride time than the small plush horse. We got ours at Walgreens when DD1 was about 14 months old (about four winters ago) so no link but this guy http://www.a-rocking-horse-to-love.com/Coffee_Horse_Rocker__Rocking_Toy_for_Toddlers-p-564.html is very similar. Note he is low to the ground which is good and sturdy (holds up to 150 lbs). This is the way I would go. The stirrups aren't important at this age so don't let that feature direct your purchase...

citymama
01-09-2009, 04:18 AM
Our DD got a rocking horse for her 1st birthday, and I can safely say it is the longest enduring, favorite toy. She still plays with him every single day and she is soon turning 3. This is what we have - it is a beautifully made horse. It was a gift, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this expensive, probably closer to $120 at the time: http://www.woodentoysplus.com/site/1528957/product/ZE1739 ETA it's the perfect size for that age - safe for a 1 yr old, still fits 4 yr old visitors without a problem.

dewfish
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
My DD loves the bounce and spin zebra by Fisher Price. She also has a short, plush rocking horse and loves it too. It's a good investment.

Melaine
01-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I got a super deal on the Hasbro go and grow giraffe (like $10 each) for the girls when they turned one. They LOVED them but they had a short life span, because they started tipping them over. I would try to get a heavy, sturdier one next time around....

maylips
01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
They are expensive, but check out www.rockinghorsedepot.com

We bought DD the painted Margo horse for Christmas and it's BEAUTIFUL. I love having it in my living room (well, let me rephrase and say I don't MIND having it in my living room) because it looks so classic, is not plastic, and just is a well made horse. Brass stirrups, a nice pleather saddle, hair that can be brushed...

Anyway, I would at least take a look.

vonfirmath
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
My son got the Rocking blue puppy for his 1st birthday and it gets use just about every day, sometimes several times!

lmwbasye
01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
We have a rocking dinosaur from Pottery Barn Kids. They also have made in the past a dalmation and I see they have a horse now:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/pkimgs/ab/images/p2/products/200851/0006/img62m.jpg

We love it because it is sturdy, very well made, super cute, and both DS1 and DS2 can easily ride on it. Actually DS1 has room to grow and somehow DS2 was able to climb up by himself for the first time the other day to rock on it at 15 months! Imagine my surprise when I looked up and there he was.

HTH!