PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Philadelphia? Do you like it?

deborah_r
01-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone living (or formerly living) in Philadelphia could share what you like and don't like. And would you recommend it as a place to live in and raise kids.

Thanks!

brittone2
01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone living (or formerly living) in Philadelphia could share what you like and don't like. And would you recommend it as a place to live in and raise kids.

Thanks!

Would you be *in* Philly or more like the surrounding area/suburbs do you think?

deborah_r
01-09-2009, 02:24 PM
No idea. It's only a remote possibility right now. I suspect the job would be in the city, not in the suburbs.

lmintzer
01-09-2009, 02:27 PM
We're in the Philly 'burbs. DH works in the city and commutes (by choice) on the train. Feel free to ask specific questions.

We've been here 3 1/2 years and like it very much. It took me a while to get settled, but that's just moving in general, I think.

We like that the cost of housing here is roughly 15% lower than in comparable Chicago suburbs!

ETA: It's a fantastic place to raise kids. The city has plenty of culture. The 'burbs boast great public schools. The weather is fairly mild (by Midwestern standards). Cons: the drivers are obnoxious (very East Coast). The roads are narrow, and it's hard to learn how to get around. Everyone who grew up here has a different way of getting from point A to point B. I'm thinking of investing in a GPS!

deborah_r
01-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I guess my main concern is how safe it is. It seems I keep hearing "high crime rate" and "Philadelphia" in the same sentence lately. Now, I'm just outside of LA, so it's not like we don't have a lot of crime here - but I don't feel unsafe specifically where we are. So I'm sure I'm just being paranoid. I would love to live in the East again (I grew up in CT)! We lived in Pittsburgh briefly - I am hoping Philly would be more to our liking than Pittsburgh.

clc053103
01-09-2009, 02:39 PM
While I don't have any desire to live in the city of Philadelphia, I live in the Philadelphia suburbs and it is a wonderful place to raise a family. the "Five county" philadelphia region consists of Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, Chester and Philadelphia counties. It's not unusual to work in Phila but live in the burbs, its actually the norm. If you would like to hear specifically about my area, please feel free to PM me, I live in Bucks Co and grew up here as well.

brittone2
01-09-2009, 02:45 PM
While I don't have any desire to live in the city of Philadelphia, I live in the Philadelphia suburbs and it is a wonderful place to raise a family. the "Five county" philadelphia region consists of Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, Chester and Philadelphia counties. It's not unusual to work in Phila but live in the burbs, its actually the norm. If you would like to hear specifically about my area, please feel free to PM me, I live in Bucks Co and grew up here as well.
:yeahthat:

Commuting into the city can be a challenge from the burbs depending on where you live. As the PP said, it is actually pretty common. I grew up in the outer burbs and DH, DS, and I started our family out there.

PM me if you want more details.

We may be returning there when DH finishes up his PhD...we have to see where the jobs are for him, but there's a strong possibility we'll be back in Philly suburbs.

AnnieW625
01-09-2009, 02:56 PM
My aunt and uncle live in Lower Gwynedd, which is near Ambler in Montgomery County, and they like it a lot. They've been there for 10+ years and have a really nice house on a large lot, and the schools are good from what I understand. My uncle used to work in neighboring Bluebell and is now a consultant working from his home so I have no idea about the commute times to Philly. If I did have the opportunity to move to that part of the country I would. It seems like a very good quality of life, esp. in the burbs.

Deborah, where in the LA area are you? Lots of big cities have crime issues like LA, but unless you live in a crime ridden area they are least likely to effect you. Even Long Beach for the most part is safe, but there have been a string of weird murders/violence the last couple of months. It's just life in pretty much any large city in America.

lmintzer
01-09-2009, 03:08 PM
I really don't think the crime rate should deter you. Center City has experienced somewhat of a Rennaisance over the past 10 years (as evidenced by all the great restaurants!). It's not the "old" crime-ridden Philly anymore. Gentrification is happening everywhere. For ex., dh was just in South Philly (formerly not so great) and came across a Starbucks with yuppie-looking people sitting and working.

The Main Line ('burbs where I am) is extremely safe as well, and the commute in isn't bad at all.

I lived in L.A. for 2 years, as well as Chicago, and I can tell you that traffic here is nothing at all by comparison. I barely notice when I'm in rush hour here.

brittone2
01-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Agreeing w/ the PPs that I don't think the crime is that bad at all. Just like any big city as the PPs said...there are pockets that are not so hot, kwim?

deborah_r
01-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Deborah, where in the LA area are you? Lots of big cities have crime issues like LA, but unless you live in a crime ridden area they are least likely to effect you. Even Long Beach for the most part is safe, but there have been a string of weird murders/violence the last couple of months. It's just life in pretty much any large city in America.

I'm in Pasadena. And like I said I do feel safe here, mostly. That's why I was pretty sure I was just being silly thinking Philly would be so dangerous, since I'm just a stone's throw from LA and I feel adequately safe here. I just thought I recently heard "murder capital" in regards to Philly, but I could be wrong. Also, with DH's work, he often ends up in the not-so-safe part of town. He works in the dangerous part of Pasadena currently.

jenny
01-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm a philly-girl and I work in center city, right next to Independence Hall.

It's a nice area and if you live in the nice part of Philadelphia, then you shouldn't worry about the crime. Most of the crime you hear about in the news is in west philly.

I wouldn't send my children to the inner city schools though. You might consider charter schools if you're thinking of sending your children to school in the city.

Living in the 'burbs is another option. Taking the train into the city can be annoying, but it's not too bad.

StantonHyde
01-09-2009, 11:14 PM
I went to grad school in LA and then back to Haverford, PA (Main Line Suburb of Philly--basically directly west) and I was amazed at how tense I had become in LA. Philly burbs are awesome. The schools in Montgomery County are awesome. Delaware County is more working class. (I lived there right out of grad school) I loved visiting Bucks County--very pretty as well.

Then I lived in Chester County for over 5 years and I really loved it. It is very rural and relaxed. Great schools in Unionville, but you are a long ways from the city. (I used to drive 1-1.5 hours each way, every day)

Working in Wimington Delaware and living in Chester County is a great option--only 30 mins to Wilmington.

Now that I am out of the EAst Coast, I would not go back to that traffic. But you are in Pasadena, the traffic will seem like nothing.

Parts of Philly are VERY scary. But I had friends who lived in WEst Philly when they went to school at UPenn and they did fine. I wouldn't raise my kids there--but I would work there.

MamaKath
01-10-2009, 12:07 AM

Thanks!

DH used to work in Center City, near the mint. As we figured out where to move, sell our house, etc, we were able to have him head to Bucks county to live. Bucks is great! Nice schools, communities, extra activities, history, etc. However the commute was horrific! There are lots of good suburbs in PA that are great and would not have been so bad for commuting if they were closer to the train.

We ended up living in Burlington County, NJ. It was fantastic. Easy commute, nice neighborhood, good schools, easy availabilty to main roads and other geographic areas (NYC, CT, DE, almost any part of NJ, all less than 2 hours). We LOVED it!!! We would move back in a minute!!!

I still go to Bucks each summer for a month or more, and am always delighted by the area, and spend plenty of time in Philly. It is a culturally rich area and I think could be great for the family life.

happymomma
01-10-2009, 12:11 AM
We've lived in Philly before but it was prekids. So I'm not as familiar in terms of kid friendliness. We lived in center city. It was really nice b/c the city does have so many wonderful restaurants. From what I understand, the school system in the city isn't very good. But I heard that the suburbs are much better.

Philly does seem to have a lot of wonderful museums. We recently went to the Please Touch Museum. It was amazing. I think that there are a lot of things to do with kids.