PDA

View Full Version : Stroller indecision!

kate2128
01-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I need some serious help. I'm having a bit of a stroller crisis. We live in the city and take public transportation often and we live in an apartment on the second floor, so I need to be able to manage to get the stroller up the stairs. AND I have 3 children ages 4, 2 and 2.5 months.

I just bought a BJ City Classic with the jump seat. I went into the store to check out the Valco Trimode, but the guy talked me out of it. The P&T didn't work because DH hit the jumpseat with his shin. Well, now I'm totally regretting my purchase, and of course, dh has lost the receipt. We probably have receipts from 5 years ago for $1.25, but when we have $500 worth of stroller that I want to return, no receipt. It figures. I just don't like the stroller. It pushes lovely, but I think I'm going to need a stroller that can accommodate my 2 year old for a nap. Sometimes we'll go out for the entire day. I have it on Craigslist for $400, but I'm not overly hopeful that someone will buy it for that.

We also have a Mac Twin Techno that is not so friendly with the bumpy sidewalks. There's one spot that we always come to where I would have to have my oldest ds get out so I could get the stroller over the hole/crack in the sidewalk. Plus, I hate how the handles are so far apart. So I have this one on Craigslist, too.

I've always wanted a stroller with a bassinet. Always. And this might be my last baby, so it's my last chance! Ahhh! So I've come upon the UPPAbaby Vista. It could be the stroller of my dreams. Bassinet, rumble seat (in a couple months) and a toddler board. AND the parent facing option, which I find lovely.

I thought I would be mostly wearing dd because I wore ds2 all the time, but she loves to be in a stroller or looking at me and/or her brothers, so she doesn't love a sling. Plus, I feel like it would be safer sometimes to have her in a stroller if I need to bolt after ds2.

Oh, and our only other stroller is a Mac Volo which I love, but the wheel is bent from getting stuck in the crack between the platform and the Metro car. Usable, but not suitable for long outings. Or with a baby.

What should I do. How can I convince dh that we need the Vista? DO I need the Vista?

HELP! Thanks!

MamaKath
01-10-2009, 01:07 AM
If you can sell them, it sounds like a Vista might work for some of the time ie walking. I can't imagine using it in NYC's subways and DEFINITELY not on buses. As for an umbrella stroller, a Triumph with board for the older 2 and sling baby? Or BJCM single or double? Not quite sure with the ages and lifestyle.

kate2128
01-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Good news, I have someone who wants to buy the BJ and someone coming to buy the Mac TT today. AND DH is fine with the Vista! Woohoo!

I was all over the BJCMD until I discovered the Vista and the rumbleseat option. I love the parent facing option, too. The oldest one walks and won't really need the board option most likely. We don't take the bus much, since we're so close to the Metro, and most of the time we're taking it at off peak times, so it's not too crowded. And I've never needed to fold down my stroller and carry it when using the Metro. When we need a small stroller, I will just sling dd and use the volo for ds2. Walking is our primary mode of transport, especially when it's warmer.

Hopefully I'll be able to try the Vista in a store today or tomorrow. I'm also very impressed with the customer service, too. I emailed to ask a question and they got back to me very quickly with a very helpful response.

Now... Do I get the 2008 in the purple because I love the color? And then send it in to get fitted for the rumble seat. Or just get the 2009 and save myself the hassle?

Sorry I'm so wordy! Thanks for reading!

MamaKath
01-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Congrats on the stroller sales!!! I think a stroller like the Vista would work great in DC. A buggy with air tires is perfect! For DC area metro, it should work well, the elevators are generously available! I am not sure why I thought NYC from your OP, but I know the elevators I find there aren't always working (at least not the occassions I am in there which is not often now that we live near DC ;)).

Can you purchase the skins for the 2009 in purple? I probably would go for the 2009 if you want the rumble seat. IME the retrofits don't always go the way planned.

kate2128
01-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, I think the guy wanting to buy the BJ might have been a scammer... wanted to pay by bank check on Monday and pick up on Tuesday. I told him the check needed to actually clear, bank check or not OR he could pay by paypal or cash. Haven't heard back. The TT was sold today, phew!

We went to try out the Vista today. It was really hard to find a store that actually had one in stock to test drive. DH and I loved it, but my only concern is the height of the seat back. DS 2 who is just 2 and 34" tall seemed like his head was at the top of the seat back. Is this stroller not good for taller children? I think DD will be tall, too, so I don't want her to outgrow this stroller--ever! LOL.

I think I'll just suck it up on the color. Not a huge fan of any of the 2009 colors, but I really need it to be a double, so I think it's best to go with the model actually designed to function as such.