PDA

View Full Version : Large Area rugs for kids

Naranjadia
01-09-2009, 09:40 PM
DH is cleaning out the basement so that our kids can play down there and we'd like to buy one or two large area rugs - the floor is terrazo. I've looked at Overstock and Company store and I've been combing the sales. Does anyone have rug brands or stores they've been happy with?

I've noticed in the archives that several people have mentioned rugs shedding. Is this a synthetic thing or rug-specific?

WatchingThemGrow
01-09-2009, 11:46 PM
We love our Capel Rugs for our kids' rooms. SO cute and fun. Very good quality. We got them through a huge furniture store so they were about 1/2 price. AAAAGH! They changed the designs and it looks like they no longer have ours. They are adorable and very well-made. http://capelrugs.com/category.aspx?id=1000171186

Oh, there are a few on the sale pages http://capelrugs.com/category.aspx?id=1000194868

MontrealMum
01-10-2009, 12:45 AM
We have several Ikea rugs (all hard wood floors). The more expensive and wool ones are great, they last, and do not shed. The cheaper ones (that we bought earlier on and eventually ditched) shed, were thinner, and not as nice. If you have an Ikea nearby I'd check out the ones that are wool and start at $200/$250. Still a pretty good bargain compared to some brands.

fortato
01-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Do you have a HomeGoods near you?? It's hit or miss but sometimes you can find nice rugs there.....

Naranjadia
01-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Thank you for these suggestions. Love those Capel rugs and we do have an Ikea 2 hours away. I am also kicking myself in the butt because we had a LinensNThings that just went out of business and I know they had a number of kids' rugs.

I was thinking of either neutral or a combo of boy and girl themed rugs, but the "girl" rugs don't seem as cool. :p

nupe
01-10-2009, 07:55 PM
We have small wool kids rugs from PBK, LON and Company Store. None of them have shed.
We have a very high end adult style wool rug from Capel and it continues to shed a little on a regular basis, but not something I notice unless I wear black and roll on the rug myself.

shaeeMom
01-23-2009, 02:36 AM
i brought an ikea rug and it is great for the price and the fact that it will be used and abused by a baby. :)

i agree with the comment abt wool one. it is still cheaper than alot of places so have a look a their website too.

Twin Mom
01-23-2009, 10:16 PM
We've bought a few rugs from the PBK outlet. They are really old and still going strong. No shedding.

maylips
01-26-2009, 10:25 AM
We just bought an 8x10 rug this weekend from a PBK outlet for $175. Obviously that's hit and miss and you don't get the selection when you're looking for a sale, but I am PUMPED to get such a large rug at that price.

I agree with you - the "boy" rug colors/designs are much cuter than girls' rugs are. It's frustrating for me because I love primary colors and am not a fan of flowers so my choices are very limited in buying for my DD. I think my next job should be a rug/home designer for kids so I can make things that have colors other than pink/green.

sste
01-26-2009, 11:22 AM
We have this rug and love it!! Its in our livingroom and looks much more expensive than it is. And the shag is very cozy for playing on the ground.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100549418&N=10000003+90318+526426
We have the white and seven months later with dog and one year old there is not a stain on it (though we don't usually wear our shoes in the house). There are also darker colors available. Because of the synthetic material used it is EXTREMELY stain resistant, I have new zealand wool rugs in other rooms that have not been as stain resistant. We went to a carpet store and bought a thick, felt wool pad for $30 for underneath it (not a special area rug pad, but the felt they would put under carpet is much cheaper and fine if you have some furniture anchoring the rug).

WatchingThemGrow
01-26-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree with you - the "boy" rug colors/designs are much cuter than girls' rugs are. It's frustrating for me because I love primary colors and am not a fan of flowers so my choices are very limited in buying for my DD. I think my next job should be a rug/home designer for kids so I can make things that have colors other than pink/green.
I'm so with you on the primary colors thing. Never been a fan of pastels for some reason... I think that's what drew me toward the Capel Rugs. Granted, several of them do have flowers http://capelrugs.com/category.aspx?id=1000194868 (see the kid ones near the bottom), but we got one with ladybugs, bees, and butterflies - in primary colors. It is so fun and fresh. Please do take up that profession! There are only a few themes for girls that get recycled every year. I'm also not a fan of using "adult" colors in kids' rooms either.