PDA

View Full Version : First Bike for 5 year old DD

giavila
01-09-2009, 10:35 PM
DD is turning 5 in a few months and we want to get her a bike with pedals. This will be her first bike, she never had a balance bike. I was wondering what would be the best choice given her age. I read that some people here suggest the Trek Float, is she too old for that? Any other suggestions? I'm looking to spend $200 or less.

Thanks!

brittone2
01-09-2009, 11:34 PM
We are considering it, but DS is happy with his Puky that he's been riding for almost 2 years, and we have a 2nd hand pedal bike waiting in the wings that I hope he'll be able to transition to. A 16incher is still a little tough for him to reach well on. He'll be 5 in a month.

edited to fix typo

brittone2
01-10-2009, 01:45 AM
whoops! double post

giavila
01-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Ok so a 16 inch should work for her then. She's average height. I would like the purchase to be a surprise, but I know how important it is to take them to try out the sizing so I will most likely do that. I just want to have an idea of what models we should consider.

Thanks for your reply!

tny915
01-10-2009, 03:11 PM
DD just turned 5 in November, and we got her the Trek Mystic 16" bike for her birthday. She's around 41" tall.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/kids/ages_4_6/mystic16/

ETA We brought her with us when we bought it, but we made it a surprise since we never even mentioned we were considering a bike for her. We all headed out to the store and didn't tell her where we were going.

caheinz
01-10-2009, 03:57 PM
The Trek Float comes in a 16" size. 16" will last a good long while, but your DD may or may not be able to touch the ground on it yet.

The Trek kid bikes are nice, because you can adjust the pedals, handlebars, and seat for fit. The Float just adds the option of being able to start as a balance bike.

We got DS1 a Float last year. By the end of summer, he was riding it as a normal 2-wheeler. (I'm looking forward to taking him on rides this coming summer!) He'll be five at the end of March. (He was 42" at his 4th birthday and is over 45" now.)

hellokitty
01-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Is she even interested in bikes? I ask, b/c my son will be 5 next month, he has a balance bike AND a big boy bike and he has no interest at all in it. He's more interested in his scooter than bikes. Some kids don't show interest in bikes until they are older. On the otherhand, my 3 yr old LOVES bikes, trikes and balance bikes, he will probably figure out how to ride a bike before his older brother. Each kid is kind of different. I would be reluctant to spend $200 on a bike for a child who might not be into it.

johnsmittacker
01-11-2009, 08:54 PM
It's always great to see kids getting active, great transportation too!

Tondi G
01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
A 16 inch will probably be the right size if she is an average height 5 year old. We got my older DS a Giant brand bike (very nice brand) for his 6th birthday and he really wasn't all that into it.... it was a bit of an expensive mistake on our part. He much preferred his Razor Scooter! Now our little guy is turning 4 and has a tiny 12 inch bikes that he rides all over the place... he needs a new "big boy" bike as far as he is concerned.... I know he'll ride it all over the place! He tried out a neighbors little wooden balance bike at a birthday party this weekend and loved it... I am considering the Trek Float... we'll see!

kimberley-k
01-13-2009, 03:05 AM
Definitely get a 16-inch with training wheels. We made the mistake of going for an expensive 20-inch, mostly because DS just HAD to have the green one, partly because we bike a lot and wanted him to have a high quality one that will last for a few years. But it is way too big for him, and it looks silly with training wheels.

-Kim