PDA

View Full Version : Stupid dog

bubbaray
01-10-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm so @#$^ mad at our dog right now. So, we've had snow here. not unusual for some places in winter, but HIGHLY unusual for us, especially in the amount we got and the length of time it stayed. Anyway, long story short, snow fell off our neighbors roof (steep pitch) and took out part of our fence beside our house. In the process our garbage cans were knocked over. And/or DH left a bag of garbage beside the cans (I'm not sure and he won't give me a straight answer). In any event, a (closed) bag of garbage was left in the snow beside the house.

Dumb Dog got into the garbage. @#$%^ dog. He is such a freakin' garborator. AHHHH. So, he's been kinda sick (kinda odd poops and wanting to go outside a LOT) all week. Nothing that we thought we needed a vet for. We've been through @#$% dog eating random stuff (particularly anything rubber) before and he's had surgery for an intestinal obstruction in the past. @#$^^ dog.

So, I get a call from DH this morning. @W#$%^^ dog has **** ALLLLLL over our (formerly nice) living room and dining room carpet. @W#$^ dog. DH finally agreed to take him to the vet. Oh, and DH is screaming at me that he's never having another dog, blah blah blah. *I* know not all dogs are like this. DH does not (this is his first dog). Even our vet says our dog has an unusual desire to eat pretty much anything (hello, same breed as Marley, who is now famous for being a stupid dog). Oh, and I also got to listen to DH scream about how pet insurance is a total rip off and waste of money, blah blah blah.

I have no idea what is going to happen Monday. We both work FT and the dog is home alone during the day. We used to have a dog walker, but she left the neighborhood.

Stupid dog.

Thanks for letting me vent.

trales
01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Hugs.

Our lab has eaten 10lbs of dog food, nylons, underware, used maxi pads, used diapers and so on. He has even gotten giardia and rolled in a dead deer, I so feel your pain.

bubbaray
01-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks. DH is back from the vet, $100 lighter (and ins. probably won't pay, due to deductible). No obstruction, no fever. 5 days of meds to calm his GI tract.

Oh, and no food for 24 hrs. THAT should be fun. Not.

elizabethkott
01-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh (((((hugs))))) Melissa.
My stupid dog poops in the attic.
And we just discovered she had been peeing up there, too.
Alllllllllllllll over the bed we have up there for guests.
You would think we didn't have someone here all day long to let her out or something. Stupid dog just likes to poop in the attic to get "even" with us whenever she feels slighted - like we go out to dinner and leave her, like we go to the grocery store and leave her... They say dogs aren't spiteful, but I know better.
Stupid dogs. If they weren't so damn loveable and cute...

trales
01-10-2009, 06:27 PM
At least it was only $100. The 10lbs of dog food set us back $300 plus the cost of food, the giardia about $500. The nylons and maxi pads were free, I noticed them in the back yard when I was mowing.

The lab has been escaping our yard to go eat goat poop at the neighbor. Ewwww. I try not to think about it as he licks us.

tylersmama
01-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Ugh. That sucks. I HATE cleaning up dog poop/vomit.

If it makes you feel any better, I just spent $300 at the vet because my dog was dehydrated and stressed out. We took him with us over the holidays on our visit to family because we were driving and thought he'd be happier with us than at the kennel. Apparently all the family gatherings (he's VERY shy and doesn't like strangers) and the fact that he didn't eat/drink much while we were gone got to him. I freaked out because he was acting like it was something neurological...unsteady, no energy, etc. Nope, just stressed out and dehydrated. So now my dog is on heartburn medication. Yup, I'm giving my neurotic dog Pepcid every day.

Sheesh, we could have spent the same amount of boarding as we did at the vet...

ThreeofUs
01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Totally feel your pain. I love dogs, but when they've done something like this, all I want is to have someone else deal with the dog and their mess.

npace19147
01-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Yah, I feel your pain. One of our dogs had to have his stomach pumped after eating some of our medicine (dropped on the floor and he got it before I did).

The other one slipped on the stairs and pulled a muscle in his back, had to be carried up and down the stairs for a week. Did I mention we live in a townhouse in the city?

We routinely find wipes, paper towel, tin foil, hair bows, what-have-you out back.

Hope your dog feels better soon!

vejemom
01-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Melissa, if you want to make your husband feel slightly better...BG: We have two dogs, a 250 lbs mastiff heretofore referred to as Canis Major, and an obnoxious little Frenchie whom I will call Canis Minor. I have attempted to buy pet insurance for Canis MAjor, but the company couldn't believe that routine care for him could cost so much. I got around this by working for a vet in part for the discount, but had quit about a month before the incident because I was 8 months along with DD#2. I was dreading the first non-routine vet visit...

I often buy beef marrow bones for them from the local beef farmer at the farmers' market. We're talking a cow femur, strong enough to withstand a chewing from Canis Major and emerge in one piece. One week, the farmer was out of marrow, but assured me that the beef stew bones he had stood up great to his dogs.

I got home, put the dogs in the backyard, and gave them their bones. Imagine my horror when I checked on them 20 minutes later and found only bone shards. And wouldn't you know, the next day, Canis Major started acting wonky.

Partial intestinal obstruction, I thought. (Partial because some things were, um, passing through) So I began the D-Day scale preparations required to take a 250 lbs dog to the vet. First, arrange for a babysitter. Second, remove car seats from the Honda Accord. Third, swath the back seat of said Honda in old blankets in a futile attempt to avoid drool on the upholstery. Finally, put training collar, backup collar and traffic lead on Canis Major and bundle him into the car, checking purse to make sure that I have plenty of drool rags handy. DId I mention that he balks getting into the car, so this involves my opening both car doors and "walking" through the back of the car so he'll follow me?

So we arrive at the vet in one piece and I help Canis Major disembark. The entire staff of the hair salon next door comes out to marvel at him. They offer to dye him red for Halloween. We make it into the vet's office, where she and I confer on strategy. We both agree that the lumens of his intestines are ginormous, and therefore unlikely to be totally blocked. She suggests a wait and see approach, but given the effort involved in getting Canis Major anywhere, concedes that we should just X-ray today. I suggest sedating him. His personality falls somewhere between Clifford and Scooby Doo, but if \he shakes his head in polite refusal, p[eople go flying across the room like ragdolls.

After a head count to make sure she had enough personnel to lift him, I sign the consents and go get a cup of coffee. An hour later I receive the good news that the X-rays were clear, and that Canis Major was recovered enough from the sedative to leave under his own power. I return to the clinic, where the techs cheerfully inform me that it took 6 people to lift him onto the X-ray table. I pay the $600 bill and collect a woozy Canis Major. "How much does he eat?" asks the lady waiting with the Chihuahua. The guy entering with the pit bull simpl turns and scurries down the sidewalk.

Canis Major snores and drools the whole way home. The blankets have slipped, so I spend 20 minutes out there with the Murphy's Oil Soap scrubbing the seats, doors and center console. It is DH's new car, and drool seems to have a corrosive effect.

DH calls it "the world's most expensive soup bone" :ROTFLMAO:

bubbaray
01-10-2009, 11:10 PM
You guys are great -- I'm calming down.

Stupid Dog's (he'll be dear tomorrow, I'm a softie) intestinal obstruction 6 years ago nearly killed him. He was about 2 hrs away from death, apparently. Had emergency surgery, they didn't think he'd make it, blah blah blah.

$2,000 later and a week in the vet's for observation, he came home. Stupid Dog STILL eats anything rubber (hello? don't you remember?). Of course, we did not have pet ins. at the time.

Good thing they are cute, right?

npace19147
01-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Catherine, that is classic! Love the Clifford reference. We can't watch Clifford here b/c my dogs bark at it. They bark at a red, animated dog.

Melissa, is that your dog in your avatar? He is a cutie.

gatorsmom
01-11-2009, 02:42 AM
I just want to thank you all so much. Seriously, DH's college dog had to be put down because of cancer about 3 years ago. That dam* dog pooped and peed so much in our dining room that all the carpet had to be replaced. Ever since, I've been so happy to be poop and dingleberry free.

But, lately the kids-most of whom never knew our last dog- as well as DH have been begging to get one. And they are starting to wear me down. I guess I just don't remember all the hair, muddy footprints, half-eaten garbage strewn across the room, interruptions to take the dog outside for his potty break, etc. So thank you for reminding me. Because even though DH begs and promises to take care of the dog, I"m no dummy. I know good and well who'll end up doing all the dirty work. And I'm just not sure I can keep one more living thing alive in this house.

niccig
01-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Root canal on a dog is as expensive as for a person. And DH wonders why I get angry when he doesn't brush her teeth.

cvanbrunt
01-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Because even though DH begs and promises to take care of the dog, I"m no dummy. I know good and well who'll end up doing all the dirty work. And I'm just not sure I can keep one more living thing alive in this house.

Tell DH you'll consider a dog when you have a live-in nanny and a full-time housekeeper. Two boys and infant twins...what is he smoking?

jacksmomtobe
01-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Our Lab has been getting sick a lot lately. She cannot resist the garbage if she gets the chance. I make sure I tie up the bag if I need to take it out of the bin and am not taking it outside but DH isn't so careful. We got a bin she could not break into since she used to use her nose to pop up the top of the old one but it has a weird shape so often the bag isn't totally full when it needs to come out of the bin. She also likes to eat sticks and her own poop. The Vet gave me extra stomach medicine the last time she was sick for a while. If it wasn't so cold and icy here I would be walking her so now I must watch her like a hawk every time she goes out in the yard. Luckily no high vet bills (at least only $300 ones) but I'm getting sick of cleaning it up. She now sleeps in DS's room so his rug is really taking a beating since 99% of the time she gets sick in the middle of the night. Did a bit of fasting with her this last round and then boiled chicken & rice. She is so patient and tolerant but her ability to eat junk has been ridiculous lately.

One funny moment of late...this is a dog who seeks permission to be allowed on furniture and never really crossed the line...recently jumped up on our nicer couch to eat crumbs that dd had left behind (no DD is not supposed to be eating on that couch either). Then one morning decides to hop on the kinderzeat so she can grab the plate of pancakes & waffles dd left behind. I couldn't believe it as we were in the next room in a fairly open floor plan and thus in sight.

KBecks
01-13-2009, 09:40 AM
I just want to thank you all so much. Seriously, DH's college dog had to be put down because of cancer about 3 years ago. That dam* dog pooped and peed so much in our dining room that all the carpet had to be replaced. Ever since, I've been so happy to be poop and dingleberry free.

But, lately the kids-most of whom never knew our last dog- as well as DH have been begging to get one. And they are starting to wear me down. I guess I just don't remember all the hair, muddy footprints, half-eaten garbage strewn across the room, interruptions to take the dog outside for his potty break, etc. So thank you for reminding me. Because even though DH begs and promises to take care of the dog, I"m no dummy. I know good and well who'll end up doing all the dirty work. And I'm just not sure I can keep one more living thing alive in this house.

I appreciate this thread also. Having had a cat until recently, I thought only cats had issues peeing in the house.

I was looking at a dog selector the other day and even made notes on breeds, the kids have been asking for a pet, but...... we will wait or possibly not have a pet at all.

Melissa, your dog is cute!

gatorsmom
01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Melissa, your dog is cute!

I agree, Melissa, your dog is very cute. I'm sorry he's such a pitb sometimes. Oh, and sorry to hijack your thread.

npace19147
01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Lisa, two kids and two dogs here. I love our dogs desperately, but.... DON'T DO IT. Hold strong!

It really is like having two other toddlers in the house. Granted, you can leave them in their crates when you leave the house, but they also bark and never learn to use the toilet themselves.