PDA

View Full Version : Bloomingdale's should be ashamed of themselves

tmonroe
01-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I went there today not to shop but to get some frozen yogurt at their restaurant 40 Carrots. The food there is really good and the frozen yogurt is great. I was a bad girl and missed breakfast so I figured I'd take advantage of a lunch special. The nice waiter who served the food had an open gash on his hand that I noticed. Not a paper cut but a deep gash that obviously had some dried blood left on it. When he walked away I asked for the manager and told her that although the waiter was perfectly pleasant I wanted to send my food back because of his gash. FYI- the waiters prepare the food as well for the lunch specials. Then the girl behind the frozen yogurt counter is coughing up a storm in her ungloved hands. No one had on gloves.

I realize I am more germ phobic than the average person but this was enough to disgust DH who is more laid back than I am. A person with an open wound should not be serving food. I was so disappointed because I LOVED eating at this place and their frozen yogurt makes pinkberry seem like poo.

maiaann
01-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Yuck. I'd handle the situation the same way you did! What did the manager say to you?

lizajane
01-10-2009, 11:05 PM
um, ew.

i worked in a restaurant and as a manager. i remember my friend who bartended had to put on a little condom looking thing on his finger because he had a cut and a bandaid on it, so it had to be covered. it was funny, but hygenic!!!

gross, dude. what's wrong with a bandage and a little medical tape???

pinkmomagain
01-11-2009, 10:10 AM
That is totally gross and reminds me of something that happened to me last week. I heard the mail slot in my door bang so I knew the mail was just delivered. When I went to pick up the mail off the floor I noticed almost every piece had fresh blood smeared on it! Not soaked in blood mind you, but smears on each piece. It was apparent to me that the mail carrier must have had a gash on his hand and it was getting on the mail. Disgusting! Luckily most pieces were junk mail that I tossed. But the ones I had to open, I waited for the blood to dry and then washed my hands after I handled the envelopes. I did call the post office and complain. They said they would talk to the mailcarrier and they appologized. Blech!

tmonroe
01-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Yuck. I'd handle the situation the same way you did! What did the manager say to you?

She said she checked and didn't notice a gash and she was sure the person who was coughing would eventually wash her hands. She changed the subject when I mentioned the yogurt servers did not have on gloves. I found the email address of the general manager and will email him a note about the experience.

ahrimie
01-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Ew, Ew!!!!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I think you were completely in the right. Hepatitis and other blood born illnesses/diseases are not something you play around with. Frankly I'm suprised that the manager was so blithe about it.

If you don't get a good response I'd call the manager of the whole department store. It's bloomingdales for crying out loud!

johnsmittacker
01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Sounds disgusting

missym
01-11-2009, 09:09 PM
That is pretty nasty. I never want to know what goes on behind the scenes at restaurants!

hellokitty
01-11-2009, 10:42 PM
That would have grossed me out too. I would have just turned around and left if I got a waiter with a gash and saw the hacky yogurt girl.

shawnandangel
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
This reminds me why I don't eat lemon wedges at restaurants. I saw a study where they found fecal matter and a variety of other bacteria/viruses on them b/c waiters just pick them up with their bare hands and put them on your glass instead of using the tongs or gloves.

EWWWWW. I was telling DH today about your experience and how gross it was. Yeah can anyone say Hep B? Yuck. Gross. Bleck

MamaMolly
01-11-2009, 11:09 PM
She said she checked and didn't notice a gash and she was sure the person who was coughing would eventually wash her hands. She changed the subject when I mentioned the yogurt servers did not have on gloves. I found the email address of the general manager and will email him a note about the experience.

Document, document, document. I sent a polite but pointed email to the Head Cafe Manager and the Head Store Manager at Nordstrom's after I had an unsavory moldy bread incident. The manager on duty was a fool and even tried to say it was BLUE FLOUR on the bread (after the fact, he ignored the incident completely at the time, so I guess this must be SOP for managers at places likes these.)

THe Head manager emailed me immediately, and even telephoned. She was WONDERFUL and even dug up my order record online and returned the charges(which I hadn't asked for, I really contacted them to say YUCK! but she offered and I really appreciated it. ) I haven't been back and don't think I will in the foreseeable future, but I feel MUCH better about the store in general.

tmonroe
01-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Document, document, document. I sent a polite but pointed email to the Head Cafe Manager and the Head Store Manager at Nordstrom's after I had an unsavory moldy bread incident. The manager on duty was a fool and even tried to say it was BLUE FLOUR on the bread (after the fact, he ignored the incident completely at the time, so I guess this must be SOP for managers at places likes these.)

THe Head manager emailed me immediately, and even telephoned. She was WONDERFUL and even dug up my order record online and returned the charges(which I hadn't asked for, I really contacted them to say YUCK! but she offered and I really appreciated it. ) I haven't been back and don't think I will in the foreseeable future, but I feel MUCH better about the store in general.

Thanks for sharing! I found out the name and email address of the general manager and VP of the entire store and emailed him this afternoon and am waiting for a response. I also did some research on NY State's Dept of Health and found out the restaurant had 12 violations in 2007. Stuff like this spoils the experience of eating out. We've significantly cut back on extras so enjoying a meal out means a lot to me even something small like a frozen yogurt.

I am glad you complained too. It kills me that people are so lax when it comes to things like hygiene in a restaurant.

MamaMolly
01-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Oh, I should probably mention that it took a couple of days. I had actually given up hope but then got a call. IIRC I sent my email on a Thursday and heard back before a week had passed, but I had kind of expected it to be immediate so I was happily surprised when it did happen!
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Fairy
01-13-2009, 01:25 AM
That is one big plate of wrong. Ack!