PDA

View Full Version : Any PRE remedies for stomach flu?

frgsnlzrds
01-10-2009, 06:11 PM
This sounds weird, but is there anything I can to do save the rest of my family from dd's stomach flu? She JUST pulled an exorcist and while she's feeling better for the moment, I have this sinking feeling, knowing that ds2 shared her cup and cheese this morning. Which means ds1, dh and I are soon to follow. I do NOT do well with the stomach flu, I'd rather have pneumonia. I always end up on the floor begging for death!

So, like zinc is supposed to shorten a cold, is there anything to take when you KNOW you're going to have a stomach bug in the next 24 hours?

TIA

lisams
01-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure what you could take, maybe a probiotic. Maybe keep your diet kind of bland and light and of course get yourself really hydrated. I'd say washing your hands really well and using paper towels to dry while the bug is going around is probably the best thing you can do.

I hope your DD is feeling better soon and that none of you catch it!

brittone2
01-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Yep, I think the best you can do is stay hydrated just in case, and take a probiotic. There has been some research on using them w/ preemies specifically to ward off gastrointestinal illness in their first year of life.

Udo and Jarrow are good brands. Look for something refrigerated vs. shelf stable.

eta: I hope everyone is feeling better soon and you can keep the nasties away from you.

JTsMom
01-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I'd also say try to get some sleep too- take good care of yourself in general, kwim? I know, you're probably not going to be able to sleep, so that probably isn't very helpful, huh?

Hope everyone gets/stays well.

frgsnlzrds
01-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Thank you, ladies. I sent dh out for some probiotics and some gatorade and he came back with special yogurt, which ds LOVES. So we'll just sit back, try to relax, and wait. I appreciate the advice!