PDA

View Full Version : She won't quit rubbing her eyes. Gah!

Clarity
01-10-2009, 07:57 PM
I've posted before that my littlest dd has skin problems - cradle cap, yeast and very dry alligator skin (not quite eczema per the ped.) She also had a nasty cough recently that lasted about a month. I think it's just starting to clear up. We had her to the ped. three times and he's said she fine just a cold, but a persistant one.

Anyhow...about three weeks ago we noticed that she's started rubbing at her eyes (with the back of her hands, almost frantically). She does it most frequently when she's tired, just waking, or nursing so I thought it was just a symptom of fighting sleep but now I'm not so sure. She's done it all day today and she's had other bad days like this one now that I think of it. She ends up with red, swollen eyes...most especially her left one...because she's rubbed at it so much. I put her in the shower with me and washed her down and it seems to have helped. She still did it while we were nursing but not since. I haven't done anything different today. No fragrances, Tide Free detergents, Dove soap. I can't figure out what might be causing this. Anyone else had a similar situation? I feel so bad for her.

amldaley
01-10-2009, 08:07 PM
We have been having the exact same issue here.....the Diflucan I finally got them to prescribe is helping a little. Dr says it is either the yeast infection or allergies. We are aiming for the yeastie beasties first!!!

eta: the eye rubbing is so bad it disturbs nursing and I am worried she will hurt herself or damage her eyes.

Clarity
01-10-2009, 08:17 PM
You're taking the Diflucan, right? Is she taking anything or is it via the breastmilk transfer?
I don't have symptoms of yeast, at least not right now. While pregnant with her I had yeast under my breasts but that cleared up with cornstaarch and the arrival of Fall. I don't think they'd give me anything that would help her, would they? We're taking probiotics already.

amldaley
01-10-2009, 09:41 PM
She is taking Diflucan...they can prescribe it to the baby now. The oral thrush did not respond to Nystatin. She kept getting flares ups, so to speak. Within two days on Diflucan, the oral thrush is gone totally and the eye rubbing is about 50% better now after 3 days of meds. She has another week of meds to go.