PDA

View Full Version : Peg Perego Skate issue?

amitya
01-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi, I'm new here and completely overwhelmed with stroller choices. I love the Peg Perego Skate, but not the price, and I know the 2009's might be going up. Here's the thing, when I went to check out the Skate at a local baby store the women there bad-mouthed it so much that it turned me off. They said that there are two plastic grey clips that fall out (they showed these to me but they couldn't manage to pull them out) and that people complain non-stop about this stroller and are always calling them. They said that if you lose these clips the seat does not lock and moves all around. Is this even true? I've done several searches online and find nothing about this. These women also argued with me that you can't use a car seat with the Quinny Zapp so I don't know what to believe. And they pushed the Graco Quattro Tour hardcore! I just don't want to bite the bullet and spend that much on a stroller (Skate) if a stupid clip can put it out of commission until a new one arrives from the manufacturer. TIA for any help you can give!

edurnemk
01-10-2009, 10:32 PM
I can't believe they would talk so badly of the Skate and recommed the Quattro. I had a Quattro and I think it's a piece of junk, and also super heavy, bulky and hard to steer. I ended up getting an UPPAbaby Vista instead. I initially looked at the Skate because I loved it but changed my mind because of the weight (34 lb is impossible to handle, I would never get anything over 24 lb). That's the reason it's not so popular, the 2009 will be much lighter (that's also why the 2008 is on sale at 500 instead of the original 899). I do agree it's kind of plasticky, but Peg Perego's are better quality than Gracos.
I would've waited for the 2009 but it won'tbe available until march-april.

amitya
01-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I was kind of shocked. So, I guess you haven't heard anything about those clips, huh? These women were pushing the "old-style" strollers so much not realizing that they have more stuff in the new ones. One woman actually said the new styles are "overcomplicated and just not worth dealing with". I am a technology junkie, so the new ones are great to me.

amitya
01-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Oh, one other thing...can you close the Vista while the seat is facing you? The Quinny Buzz was promptly crossed off our list when I found out it only closes when in forward facing position.

MrsGoose
01-11-2009, 05:07 PM
i am 99% you can only close it rear facing....but that is only from my faint memory in the store..

newmommyinnyc
01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
The Skate seemed sooo heavy for the price. Bugaboo is popular and expensive, but seems well-made, and have heard many excellent comments about their customer service. On the heavy side as well (at least the Cameleon and Frog), but it seemed easier to take apart vs. Skate. The Stokke is cool b/c you can raise the seat to be close to be close to baby; but it is also heavy (though now has heavy as the Skate!) In terms of ease to fold from easiest to most difficult I would say Bugaboo, Stokke, Skate.

Also did you look at the Inglesina Zippy? Far less expensive than any of these brands, has a 1 handed fold, accomodates car seat, optional bassinet, has a clear window on canopy, weighs under 20 lbs. This was on my stroller short list. I just didn't like the umbrella handles.

HTH!

amitya
01-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I really don't like the Zippy handles. I want a reversible stroller that closes when the seat/handle is in either direction and I don't want to spend $800 on a Bugaboo. I have several friends who have them and said they are overrated. I really really love the Bumbleride Flyer but I haven't tried it in person yet, and I've read all of the conflicting reviews. Who knew stroller shopping was so complicated? :rolleye0014: I don't mind heavier strollers, actually, I prefer them, I guess I'm crazy. Thank you for all of the suggestions!

strollerqueen
01-12-2009, 04:29 PM
There aren't very many that do that. The Peg P3 Switch can fold with the seat either way. I have it, and it really is a very useful feature. (The BebeConfort Loola does that too, if you happen to run across one; and the discontinued Combi I-thru.)

edurnemk
01-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Oh, one other thing...can you close the Vista while the seat is facing you? The Quinny Buzz was promptly crossed off our list when I found out it only closes when in forward facing position.

The Vista can only be closed with the seat attached if it is forward-facing, otherwise you have to take the seat off to fold it. My DH hated the Cameleon because of the 2 part fold, but so far we always use the Vista rear-facing and I haven't found the 2 part fold to be as annoying as I thought, I mean it takes about 5 extra seconds.
I can't think of any strollers of this kind that can fold in one piece with the seat in rear-facing position.

amitya
01-13-2009, 08:43 PM
OK, So I started to look into the Inglesina Zippy since the reviews of it are great, but is it reversible? It seems like you can only reverse the bassinet or am I confused?

edurnemk
01-14-2009, 01:30 AM
The Zippy does not have a reversible seat. The Peg Perego Switch is very similar to it and has a reversible seat, it can also close with the seat in any direction.
These strollers are very different to the Vista, Bugaboo, etc. because these are more all-terrain, and the Zippy and Switch are more "indoor" type (ok for perfect sidewalks, the mall, etc.), so it also depends on how you plan to use the stroller.
Have you looked at the Bugaboo Bee? I donĀ“t remember if it closes in rear-facing, but it's about the same price as the Switch. It's also lightweight and compact, but doesn't have AT wheels either.