PDA

View Full Version : Does your sandbox have a bottom?

fattytuna
01-10-2009, 10:10 PM
We just got the PBK Safari Sandbox (http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/out15/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C12%7C%7C%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7C% 7C%7C%7Csandbox&cm%5Fsrc=SCH) for DS. It doesn't come with a bottom - supposedly so it can be moved easily and also provides drainage, although it does come with a tarp to be placed on the bottom if you chooses to.

I was just wondering, if your sandbox didn't come with a bottom, did you make one yourself, put a tarp at the bottom, or just pour the sand directly on the ground? If you allow water in yours, does it get messy?

TIA!

fivi2
01-10-2009, 10:29 PM
We put landscape fabric (I think that is what it is called) on the bottom of our homemade sandbox. It drains just fine, but we don't get a ton of rain. Nothing grows up through the sand.
hth

eta: I probably wouldn't want something that doesn't drain (like plastic) unless you put a few holes in the bottom. I have no idea if it would collect water or not, just seems like it would!

KrisM
01-10-2009, 11:43 PM
We used to have a plastic sandbox, like the turtle one, and it would be a muddy mess after every rain.

We now have a huge homemade one and have landscape fabric under. No big puddles and it drains nicely. The water does a nice job of keeping the sand damp and nice to play with.

We dug out where the sandbox is so that the sand is deeper.

fattytuna
01-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks, ladies! I'd better not put the plastic tarp down if I want the kids to add water. I'll get some landscape fabric (from places such as Home Depot, I presume).

lisams
01-11-2009, 01:31 PM
DH built a sandbox and we also have one under their swingset/climber. Neither have anything on the bottom, just the ground. When it rains the sand gets wet, but it doesn't puddle. We've never had a problem. No weeds, bugs, etc.

johnsmittacker
01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
yes it sure does

new_mommy25
01-12-2009, 02:31 PM
We have teh Kidkraft boat sandbox and it came with a big piece of plastic to put underneath. It's like a thick garbage bag. We've never had any problems. When it rains the sand does get damp but dries quickly.